Register now to get rid of these ads!

$100 ball joints? Realy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caddy62, Sep 24, 2011.

1. caddy62

caddy62
    from kentucky

Ok, so I went to replace my lower ball joints today in my 62 cadillac devillle and almost fell over when the man said $100 each:eek:. My question is, can I use a ball joint from another full size GM car (Buick, Olds, Pontiac...). If they would fit some what close they could be spot welded or the control arm could be modified.

2. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

try pricing some 1957 Buick...

3. ryno

ryno

That is about right.
    What till ya price out the upper rear one.

I have never heard of anyone sub'n a different part number.
    I dont think that's a part I would like to experiment on!

4. Blk210

Blk210
    from New Market

could always measure them and put a more common size pocket in the arm and reem the spindle, but then again considering it is a 62 how many times you plan on having to change them?

5. badshifter

badshifter

Welcome to Caddyhood. You hear that sound? It's the frame swap brigade coming to your rescue!

6. krooser

krooser

My Dodge Ram ones were $80.00...

BTW...for the extra $20.00 I'd keep the Caddy frame...

7. squirrel

squirrel

Caddy has always been a luxury brand, if you can afford to buy a Caddy then you can afford to spend a bit extra for the parts.

8. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Wow! Try paying $275.00 like I have to for a 54 Lincoln.

9. shoebox72

shoebox72

You aint kiddin'. 57 Olds aint too far off either.

10. 6inarow

6inarow

Damn near makes you sorry you brought it up, huh?

11. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

American Made front end parts for Cadillac , that's about the right price. You can get Indian mixed metal ones from Kanter for less, if you like to press your luck on the road. It's getting harder to even find American made ball joints for early Cadillac's etc.... so make sure you get USA and pay the price.

12. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  13. caddy62

caddy62
    from kentucky

Heck yeah, thats what I'm talkin about and I think my wife has a credit card for amazon, gonna have to do a bit of suckin up. Man this is my first Caddy and it is about to break me, I done some trading around with a golf cart for it but I guess it's gonna get my money one way or another.

14. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Did you try Rock Auto .com?

15. derpr

derpr

I bought some for a 75 dodge for $75 A piece. so a $100 for a 62 does"t sound that far off. If you look around you might find a better price.

16. amen to that.

17. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

&76.79 at Rockauto.com doesn't beat amazon price, but heres a discount code too: 69648205780048

18. Damn, Squirrel, rub it in why dontcha. :p

19. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Yep, same on my 55 Lincoln...

Kind of tough....

20. caddy62

caddy62
    from kentucky

Ok, so these moog ball joints, are they american made? pretty sure they are but now days they can put anything on the box. Hey thanks for the discount code too.

21. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I wanna see photos of your Caddy

22. Duct tape and wire lowered cars are cool man..

23. caddy62

caddy62
    from kentucky

Yeah I will try to get pics up, right now it aint much to look at, basicly an empty hull with partial primer and air ride suspension. Hey but I guess they all have to start somewhere.

24. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

new parts , MADE IN U.S.A ? I doubt it, most are made offshore. just buy the $100 U.S.A. ones , you will be glad you did. I bought a whole set from Kanter. what garbage. put them on during the fall,greased them, stored the car for the winter, and when I went to grease them before I drove in the spring, all the rubber was cracked!!!!!!!!!!! grease wouldn't stay in to properly keep the junk made parts working, WASTE OF TIME WASTE OF MONEY. buy U.S.A. made parts and consider yourself lucky you can find them. just my opinion. Cadillac Dave

25. rld14

rld14

That's no surprise. Ball Joints for my 1960 Lincoln? I'd be happier than a Sailor in Bangkok if they were only $100 each.

These cars disappeared from the highways over 30 years ago, the few places making them have to amortize costs over small production runs.

26. caddy62

caddy62
    from kentucky

Gotcha.... USA = Good Foriegn = Crap but which ones are actualy made in america? The moog ones at the parts store are $100 + and the moog ones on amazon or rockauto are $50-$75... does this mean they are cheapo knock offs or they are just able to sell them at a lower price? Don't wanna end up in the ditch but if I can save a few bucks on the same product then hell yeah I want to.

27. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

No,it means there buying power is more than anyone else and they get great deals from the same companys.buying bulk saves them money and they can sell cheaper passing the savings on to there customers.
    Moog is a good product...

Steve

28. guess at a 45% discount asking the question was a good idea! i was using a brand new (10) hours on it john deere backhoe and one of the ball joints simply fell in half moving it so called the dealer and WTF! $275:eek: so i decided to take some specs called a local truck parts place $29 common large truck part used on just about all newer trucks! better yet ran his part number with my buddy at napa was $24 bucks for a moog ball joint. picked up the part and dropped by the JD dealer to compare, only thing different was $251 and the box!:eek: exact match and the JD guy couldnt even believe it until he looked at receipt. pays to shop bigtime,

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yep, $1200 for a set and you have to have rebuildable cores... That was pretty much my whole justification for the Jag front end under my car...

30. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Moog = quality.