Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lost Drive-In Restaurants

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUNROOFCORD, Apr 5, 2011.

1. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Shit I,m a missin the A&W, s round here..... all gone

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

ANDYOU WUZ RIGHT! :D

Now THIS is where I have to shake my head and ask all over. Did I hear it right? They're CLOSING ALL of the A&Ws??? :confused:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The A&W's that are getting the boot are the drive-in drive-up places we know and love from times gone by,the A&W's that are in with Long John Silver's locations will stay around,just had a cold glass mug of A&W and a "Fish & More" last month.

jfp and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

GRRREAT old diner shot! :cool: Virtually PANORAMIC! If the FOCUS were a tad sharper,
    I'd vote on it for the INSTANT CLASSIC category! The WHEN is pretty obvious (and
    check that 'vert! :eek:). One of the HAMBers on the Vintage Shots thread thought this
    is probably Florida (obviously about '47 to '50). Anybody else have a WAG :confused: ?

[​IMG]

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Speaking of A&W drive-ins, ran onto a nice trove of Canadian A&W
    vintage shots, several featuring the A&W "Burger Family" members
    -- a motif that, I suppose, is/was indigenous only to Canada? Anyway,
    GREAT vintage A&W shots of drive-ins and car hops! All are THANKS
    to FlickR member AgilityNut!

[​IMG]

Owen Sound, Ontario

[​IMG] Owen Sound, Ontario

[​IMG]
    Owen Sound, Ontario

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

7. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

we have one A&W left around here. its on the western side of Rhode Island on the border of CT. They still make their own root beer on site and its delicious. It opened in the early 60's and has always been a popular place. every once in awhile we take the cars. Unfortunately you wont be seeing any A&W's arround for much longer. they are all being closed and the chain is filing for bankruptcy. Sad to see these small drive-in resturaunts that are popular locally having to close their doors after such prolonged traditions.

8. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

there are pictures out there. i found plenty of pictures on google of the old drive-ins that were popular in Saugus along that main drag. i wll try and find them again to post. give me a little bit to do some research

9. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

The Adventure Car Hop was the place to be back in the day inSaugus, Mass. If you grew up in the greater Boston area in the 50's and 60's then you'll probably have some great memories of this place. Arnie "woo woo" Ginsburg on AM 1510 WMEX was famously listened to and constanly played the Adventure Car Hop Jingle.

"Gather 'round, everybody; 'cause you're about to hear/the show that's gonna make you/smile from ear to ear/It's Arnie Ginsburg, on the Night Train show, at 16-hundred...on your radio."

"Adventure Car Hop is the place to go
    For food that's always right.
    Adventure food is always just so.
    (You'll relish every bite!)
    Out on Route One in Saugus,
    Come dressed just as you are.
    Adventure, where the service is tops,
    And you never get out of your car."

Route 1 in Saugus Mass was the area's "route 66". The Adventure Car Hop was formed around America's growing fast-food business and the growing obsession with fast cars. Those fast cars needed a place to hang out and garner some street racing. The Adventure was the area's "Mel's Drive-In" from American Graffiti. If you were cool; you were sitting in the parking lot listening to the Top 40 with the latest in radio technology and 45 rpm record player mounted under the dash. You would also have rims from "ellis the rim man".

The Lasso Drive-in Was opened in everett, Mass in 1953. the Adventure was designed by the same people. The Adventure had 2 locations. one in Saugus and one in Natick, Mass. The one in Natick opened in 1955
    adventure-car-hop%20color.gif

adventure-car-hop-2.gif

10. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I always enjoyed going to Dudleys in Toledo. It was a drive in at one time, but then just a period correct style diner, I heard it was auctioned of not to long ago. Great food.

11. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Cool pic, FarmerGal! :cool:

[​IMG]

13. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

noproblem. im on the hunt to find more. i emailed the town of saugus. maybe they can get me a few from the historical society. I do know that the adventure was demolished and im pretty sure there is nothing in its place now.

14. It's long gone.I went to the historical society about 4 years ago but no luck.

15. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

well there is a facebook group for the Adventure Car Hop but no new photos to share. there are quite a few good stories from folks about the place on there. I asked for photos so maybe something will turn up.

16. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Texan-car-hop.jpg

The Texan Car-Hop was also located in Saugus, Mass. It was on Route 1 North near the kiddie Ranch and later, the Arcade Bizaar.

17. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

chickland-5_5x-web.jpg

Chickland wasn't so much a "drive-in" resturaunt but it was a very famous/popular resturaunt in Saugus, Mass. This photo is circa 1955. Chickland was famous for its BBQ Chicken. There was dancing in the main room. It survived into the 60's.

18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]
    I miss the A&W Drive-In that was located in San Gabriel just east of New Ave on Valley Bl. It looked similar to this one and they made Killer Burgers-Loved the Baby Burger w/cheese,It had the same red relish as Bob's BB. It tasted different though, I believe Walter Marriott owned both chains at the time.

How about the Yankee Doodle Drive-In in San Gabriel at Las Tunas Dr. and California St.?
    [​IMG]

Henry's Drive-In Alhambra that served Chicken in Rough This is the 1st drive-in that I remember going to eat at in the 60's and seeing close in 1971 I was very sad.
    5B2A77EC-4364-4885-BA63-0FB8F649D437.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  19. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

exept for the "hat", i don't know if you could eat american food in alhambra anymore.

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]
    You can here, I do every morning :). Located @ Main and Valencia Since 1941

21. Neglected Legacies

Neglected Legacies
    from Nor Cal

This was the drive-in in Fort Lauderdale in the 50s, 60s. Demolished in the 70s - this is the only photo I could find after years searching the internet...

jerrysmed.jpg

I went to Otts once in the early 60's - "the world's biggest drive-in". this is the only picture I could find of it...

otts drivein matchbook.jpg

Anybody got more pictures of these places?

chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  22. derbydad276

derbydad276

we have lost almost all of them in detroit
    my father in law worked at the totem pole on woodward in the late 50's in its heyday
    told it was nothing to serv 60 or 70 burgers per hour along with a full menu

23. Willard Partch

Willard Partch

It's still a restaurant but not an A&W. Bob Redkey owned it when it was the A&W but cruise nights were not held there until Bob sold it my friend Roger who changed the name to The Big Bopper Drive- in. When Roger sold, it retained the the name, no cruise nights anymore. I have another friend who owned an A&W in Santa Maria on South Broadway which was replaced by the present day car wash that is there.

24. Willard Partch

Willard Partch

There is book titled "The AMERICAN DRIVE-IN". Hard cover, 192 pages published in 1994 by Motorbooks International. Author is Michael Karl Witzel.

25. 'KUNTZ' that has a nice ring to it!!!

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

all from Adriene.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Cool !!!!!!!!!

28. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Wow, these shots bring back so many memories! Can you believe on the 19th Oct it has been 2 yrs since the rebuilt Broiler openned??? Come celebrate with us :).
    We met so many people, and made some great friends. Especially that lil person in the baby heli-copter! What a great person who knows so very much about this topic and even sent me a pic of Carpenters Arcadia, who's canopy ended up @ 2EE's Alhambra. Wish that someone had shots of it.

29. tcapps2461

tcapps2461
    from pa

Does anyone remember a drive in restaurant called the Big Pixey in pa it open in the mid 50s and closed mid 70s I think there were 4 locations

Attached Files: