Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. easter

easter

I never drove, but I can't imagine taking my hand off the wheel to work a brake. Then again, left foot braking seems strange, too. Was the brake lever on the left or right? I know from "back roads" hot rodding, I would steer with just my left hand and shift with my right. My son, while taking the Accord to the ice, would steer with his left and work the parking brake with his right (to get the back end to swing around). But, neither of us were in a sprint car surrounded by others.

2. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I'm climbing on my "history" soapbox again here with the lament that modern day racers and fans don't know and don't give a care about the history of the sport. How else would we have gotten into school bus racing, cruisers, train racing, trailer racing, etc.

This book covers dirt track racing from the beginnings and Gerber's involvement up until World War II. The book is about 250 pages and is readily available

In my opinion, every race car driver today should have to read "Outlaw Sprint Car Racer", the John Gerber autobiography, and pass a written test on it before being allowed to compete.

Attached Files:

3. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

One of better IMCA big car drivers of the pre and immediate post World War II era was Russ Lee who was a strong stocky guy who was known for driving one handed with his left hand virtually constantly on the handbrake lever and kill switch.

They called him "Lover Boy" because of it and the fact that he was single and never married until after a stock car accident ended his career around 1950.

I have a great old picture of his style of driving that I will attempt to find and post.

4. jsproctor

jsproctor

This is a classic Kenny Weld no-nonsense race car. Do any of you know how well it competed?

5. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

the 1e was driven by lynn paxton as a teammate to bobby allen 1a ,they both won there fair of shows in pa and the wedensday shows in ohio "pre OUTLAWS " that car my be an early allen build? real good 3 part series in sprint miget mag about ol bob ,still a cool dude that is now helping his grandson & son here in central pa

6. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

The brake handle was on the left side.

7. easter

easter

Yep, I saw it in one of your albums.

8. daveww1

daveww1

A little off track at EMMR Museum.
    [​IMG]

9. daveww1

daveww1

10. daveww1

daveww1

11. daveww1

daveww1

12. This is Oct 63, Haircut Lepinski has his hands on the wheel and car owner Tom Wilke is having a few words with Scratch.

Attached Files:

13. jrose7004

jrose7004

Is that the gas tank right behind the driver in that pic of the 87?

14. Dick
    Here,s the flyin spud farmer Mr Mack in the Dougie Howells car at Northstar, help me with the year.

Attached Files:

15. Chuck Embrey

Chuck Embrey

255 Offy on the dyno at Van Dyne Engineering.
    [​IMG]

16. Dick
    The year was 78 and this is Bob Geldner in the Denny Vik 63 car at North Star in turn 2

Attached Files:

17. easter

easter

Is this "Don" Mack who drove the #4 car in IMCA? (From North Dakota, I think)

18. Chuck Embrey

Chuck Embrey

168 Roots blown Offy. This engine was in J.C. Agajanian's 1966 Shrike. Raced by Parnelli Jones at Phoenix and Indy.
    [​IMG]
    I shot this photo for Van Dyne Engineering's 2009 Turkey Night GP program ad.

19. Dick L

Dick L

20. easter

easter

[​IMG]

You guys have mentioned Don Mack. You can just see Don's car here behind Jay Woodside's in Topeka 1969 at an IMCA event. I think I have his autograph here somewhere. He looked like the toughest guy in the pits and he filled up the cockpit of that car. I always remember him running up there with Richert, Woodside, Dosher, Goodwin, Opperman, Daniels, Busson, etc. He was always real nice to me. Man, Woodside was a stud wasn't he?

21. easter

easter

[​IMG]

Here's another view - again behind Jay's car. These were the toughest and bravest guys in America, and they treated us kids like we were the stars. I hope they know how much we admired them. Does anyone think that might be Don Mack sitting on the tires back on the right? Kind of looks like him.

22. waynedew

waynedew

I was in the stands! It was just stunning to see the car burn to the ground as the "firemen" stood Around without a clue. I called the hospital a day or so later to check on Cliff's condition. To my surprise they put me through to his room. He was doing pretty well he said, but he was absolutely outraged about the car being allowed to burn.

23. KK500

KK500

Does anybody have either of the fuel pump v-belt pulleys shown in the pics?
    Need for the Rapp #14 car restoration.
    Thanks to daveww1 for the EMMR pics.
    Thanks,
    Jim Grant
    707-342-3190 pacific

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  24. RoadWarrior73

RoadWarrior73

25. daveww1

daveww1

More EMMR pictures.
    [​IMG]

26. daveww1

daveww1

27. daveww1

daveww1

28. daveww1

daveww1

29. daveww1

daveww1

30. deuce354

deuce354

Hi Guys, Just finished my flattail big car i have bee working on for the past couple of years. Going to to tear it apart next week for paint ,chrome, leather seat. Started with just a body and frame, my bother in law and myself fabricated most everything else. The car was driven by a fellow named Fritz Tegtmeir from the Chicago area. Car was built in 1937 and raced until 1947. The car had a DOHC Hal engine in it. Fritz raced it in AAA, IMCA, & CSRA. I couldnt locate a Hal that i could afford, so i chose a Crager crossflow head on a B block. That still gives it the look of carbs on the left & exhaust on the right. We are going to detail it pretty well. Engine turned dash, firewall, chrome header, grille shell. It will be dark blue like when it raced, with orange frame rails, gold leaf lettering. I think i will keep this car because it fits me well, 94"wheelbase, clutch & starter. Hope you enjoy the build Deek

Attached Files: