Register now to get rid of these ads!

New England Dragway in Epping. Got photos?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Apr 21, 2009.

1. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

that red 34 five windows still floating around wareham ma

2. King & Marshall at New England in August 1971 winning the Grande Americn race over Tom Ivo

Attached Files:

3. nite-flyer

nite-flyer

Great pictures. I liked the paint on Doyle's dragster, remind me of one of our old cars.

4. Great pics Jack..thanks for posting them!
    Erm....Vespa what?
    I'm sort of guessing that was an old Vespa Ape? Or a 400?

Anyhow, the fist time I ever met Jack, I had mentioned something about my uncle being involved with Epping in the early days....within 30 seconds he's whipping through a photo album. points to a guy and says, "There's your uncle right there!"
    Man....I was kind of speachless.

5. Church Key

Church Key

Hi Richie,
    I remember that day, it was at the Ty Rods show in Canton, MA. We will be at New England this weekend July 26, 2009. Hope you can make it up there for the Nostalgia Drags.

6. gene lades 32 coupe

7. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

8. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

OH those pictures kick ass!:cool:
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

9. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I remember the rollers, Hemi powered when I saw it in the mid 70's.

Cliff Ramsdell

10. Great pictures!In picture #12 is that Corvette green?I can't read the plate but if it is a Massachusetts plate that may be John Frongillo's 421 Pontiac powered 58 Corvette.The red 63 Chevrolet looks familiar as well.

11. Heo

Heo

Yes discusting cars 2 stroke remember the stank.:mad:
    Good thing they disturbed the radio in the car so
    you know to turn of the air befor the stank.
    And everytime it rained they were standing by the road
    with water in the distributor and if it was hot outside
    they were standing with seized engine

12. The Corvette in the number 12 slot was Ronny Sharlin's dual quad car running B/Sp. It was painted stock silver blue.

The no.11 spot is the L&M Chemical Special running B/Comp., injected Chevy.

Dick Porter ran the Mopar under the Ryan Motors banner.

You recognize the Injectors 36 coupe , right?

Brian Bathelder piloted the A/FX Impala.

Yes, that Gene's burgundy and white 3w coupe--- July 1963.

The 1320 Enginering rail is also in there.
    That might be Kenny and (or) Albie Harwood beside it maybe.

13. Church Key

Church Key

That blue 36 coupe... I am not certain, but I think that went on to be the first version of Walt's Sunoco " Blue Bunny". Walt was from Randolph, MA., the same town as the Injectors Club, that even looks like Walt standing by the rear tire in the white overalls. Go back a page and you can see his blue Fiat altered.

The Anglia bodied dragster... Is the A&B Speed Shop B/C. These picture look to be from Sanford 1963. In 1964 they built their Loghee chassis A/FD, that put many AA/FD on the trailer. They won thier class in 65 at the Nationals.

Ryan Motors... This is a new one on me... Who has more information on this car?

14. Ain't that the truth Jack? Ade and Bernie were quite a team and really knew how to make a car go fast.

15. THE UNDEFEATED

THE UNDEFEATED

Sorry I am unable to post the picture of the "ONLY UNDEFEATED CAR DURING THE 1966 SEASON". My car was the Tonka Toy Vet and ran in the N.H.R.A. Street Eliminator Bracket. My class was D/Sports and I defeated everyone to the point I was thrown out of the N.H.R.A. Hot Car class because of a bunch of crybabies who did not like the idea they could not beat my car. A small list of my victims , Harr Ford A/Sp National Record holding Cobra and Winter Nationals winner , Debbs Speed Shop C/Mp 55 Chevy National Record Holder , Hayseed C/MSp National Record Holder , other notables The Orange Peal A/G Anglia , The PaperBoy 55 vett with a 427 side oiler ford in A/Msport , and the list is "EVERYONE" I ever came to the line against. To this day many members of a certain group continue to "black Ball" me for my "UNDEFEATED SEASON" of 1966. If someone could please tell me how to enter a picture of my car I would be more then happy too . [email protected]
    My Avitar has the picture of the car but I would still like to know how to post pictures on this site because I have pictures of Harr Fords Cobra also.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
    2many projects likes this.
  16. glassguy

glassguy

sonny passed away about 10 years ago. the roadster was restored by russ cummings in danvers ma. i did the glass and exhaust. was sold a few times since. i think it on the west coast now.. my friend glen has sonnys old louver press that you can see in the background in pics from ne dragway, and sanford in cool cars square rollbars. he just did a panel for my truck there great louvres.

17. tad626

tad626

You would have to ask Jack, but I believe this was the car that NHRA said was too modified to run in modified coupe/roadster at the nationals that year.
    Ran up there once, October '66. Cold enough to freeze the ba--s off a brass monkey. Blew the rear, AA/FD. jack gave us $50 for making the most noise. We only had 100%, all we ran. Jack was number 1 in my book.
    Art

18. Church Key

Church Key

Are you talking about A.J. Cay AA/FD from NJ.?

19. Kathy Bowen-Lucia

Kathy Bowen-Lucia

Jim Bowen is my dad. I practically grew up at NED! Great photo and I have more!!!

20. K10

K10

I went as a spectator in the late 60's and all through the 70's. I worked for Sonny Mazza at the track food stands for a number of years as a teen. His hot dogs were "quarter milers"!
    I remember cars like the Coal Miner. late 60's Belvedere -blue car with blue glass. Sounded as tough as anything out there. The Sour Puss cars One two and three. Lime green Chevies, '69 Chevelle wagon, 55 Belair. Lee's camaros, His wife had a pink one. Jungle Jim wrecked pretty bad up there one year. Quarter Horse mustang, And of course all of the wheel standers.
    At the big events, anyone who was anything raced there. As residents of Epping, we got free tickets for the whole family one 4th of July. We all went including my parents who weren't exactly race fans. But it was anunbelievable time. Great racing of course. A halftime airshow by Art Scholl and fireworks to end the night. It was pretty damned impressive to this 10 year old.
    My son is 15 now and I haven't managed to find the time to bring him once to NED. Shame on me.

21. spiker

spiker

Thanks for the memories. I was hoping someone might have pictures of my Chevelle racing, I have none. I was undefeated in B/MP in the year 1969, I ran every Sunday in 69. I had a dark blue SS Chevelle with white stripes, with an L88, 427, 4 speed, it had W-A-R on Maine plates. I was turning 12.1 at 125MPH consistantly. It was a street car that I drove every day to work.
    I was upset when Sanford closed, because my older brothers brought me there almost every week. I remember Garlits showing up with an open trailer and working on his car alone. When I heard the rumor that New England dragway was paved I skipped school and went over, sure enough it was freshly paved, so I took a spin down the quarter mile, I brag I was probably the first guy down NE Dragway. My heroes were guys like Phil Miller, Sybothem, Doug Jonas, Jack Doyle and many more. I remember cars like the Mighty Mouse, Bachelor and Chipman, the Bear etc. One of my favorite memories of NE Dragway was the day Tommy Ivo showed up with his glass sided trailer with 2, AA/FD in it, and setting a new track record twice. Oh well, I hope someone might have pictures of my Chevelle.

22. Don't know that I can find any pics, but I remember the DeBonis Willys running B and C gas and a husband and wife team that each had a 426 hemi dodge. Both white, hers with a vinyl roof and auto, his was a 4 spd. She used to always beat him by about a tenth, around 124 mph. Her worst defeat was forgetting to take the shop rag off of the carb before one run.
    Also remember the owner (I think) running a brand new GT40 down the track at 105 and barely into 3rd gear.
    Somewhow I remember my Dad's '63 289 Galaxie seemed to run quicker after the show!!
    RB

23. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Does anyone have more info on the "anglia bodied" dragster? Because a body exactly like that one is sitting behind a garage who's owners father ran an injected Chevy in it circa 1960s. Hyde Park NY. I thought it odd to see an anglia with the wheel wells cut out like that.

Pat

24. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Does anyone remember this car? It is a 426 hemi 4 speed car. A friend of mine in MA now owns it.

Attached Files:

quick85 likes this.
  25. Church Key

Church Key

Welcome to the HAMB... New England had a ton of injected fuel dragsters in the late sixties to early seventies. Would love to see the pictures you have..

26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

quoting myself.

Dino from the Dover Dragstrip site found this.

<DL class=attachbox><DT>Attachments</DT><DD><DL class=file><DT class=attach-image>[​IMG]</DT><DD>AB Speed Bcomp.jpg (47.86 KiB) Viewed 6 times</DD></DL></DD><DD>I'm going to search the one I found to see if it is the same one.</DD></DL>

27. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

please post more

28. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Yeah...and the VW bug !!!

29. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Seems to me as I recall as a 14 year old kid at Sanford, Me the A&B speed shop coupe was a red color about 1964. Loved that car and it was fast.

30. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is the 1964 version of the A&B Speed Shop car, running at Sanford. The Anglia bodied dragster was run in 62 and 63. I was told that Smiley Smullens bought the car, but he could not have run it very long, cause he and Jim O'Brien were running their Loyd bodied B/C car in 64.