Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any info on this 29 Roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucky_1974, Sep 20, 2011.

1. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Found this old picture online but have no info. Any help? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Found out it is Kenneth Blackwell's roadster but no other info or pics.

3. erlomd

erlomd

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

damn that thing is slick!

5. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Verne Hammond of the Burbank Choppers owns that now.

6. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Thanks Jimmy this is perfect!

7. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Verne said it still looks like that! Hopefully he'll have it running soon and we'll be able to see it.

8. Oh My God! :eek:

Call out the HAMB Police, it's .......... it's ...... a .......... Street Rod!

Says so right in the magazine :D

9. jipp

jipp

be sure to get pictures,id love to see it come to life out of the magazine pages of days long gone.. way cool...
    chris.

10. jipp

jipp

that was just used to keep the cops off his back side when out hot rodding around :D

11. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i hope some pictures of it today will surface. nice to hear its still around!

12. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I believe that car used to belong to a San Bernardino County Sheriffs deputy. I seem to recall his name was Blackwell. He used to drive it to work most days and park it behind the Yucaipa Sheriffs station in '70-'72.

13. Verne

Verne
    from Burbank

Lucky1974,

Very cool, but why the heck are you bringing up this hot rod?

Funny thing, last night Aaron Kahan emailed me and told me of this thread, otherwise I may not have seen it.

Lucky 1974, where'd you get that pic?

Your picture looks different than the duotone printed photo in the HOT ROD Magazine article.

It almost looks like a postcard?

Anyways, yes Groovybaby 6 is correct I have that car and it is still very much the same as when it appeared in the Nov. 61 HOT ROD cover and feature.

14. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Verne, I hope you didn't mind me saying that you own it now, but it's too nice of a rod to keep a secret! I hope I get to see it next time I'm in Burbank.

Ed

15. S.F.

S.F.

Check the kustom made steering wheel....that thing must have been fast with that 6x2 338 olds mill....

16. Verne

Verne
    from Burbank

Hey Ed,

No problem, not a secret, I wanna get it going, drive it, etc., a new (real) baby has taken alot of my time up lately. But very soon, look for it on the road!

That could be and I'd sure like to know. The guy I bought the car from bought it back in 1973. He did not buy it from Ken Blackwell though, I know there was one owner in between them. But that could still fit the time frame.

Yeah, that's funny isn't it? But the term was used years before it was used on for this Hot Rod. I believe even Henry Felsen's book Street Rod was in print in the early '50s.

This Street Rod (haha) was also in the HOT ROD Yearbook #2, they had it named STREET JEWEL in that article, I think I prefer that moniker better... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anybody has anymore info on this roadster, I'd sure like to know. It looks to me like Lucky _1974 has one of those HOT ROD Magazine Arcade Post Cards? I have some of those but not that one, nor do I recall seeing this one, but I'm on the hunt now...
    Thanks guys,