Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Usa made parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NONAME, Sep 18, 2011.

1. I've got an older 6AL box that says Made in China right on the back. Don't know if they still have stuff done there, but this on was.

You may not be joking, but you are wrong. This is the LAW: The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is charged with preventing deception and unfairness in the marketplace. The FTC Act gives the Commission the power to bring law enforcement actions against false or misleading claims that a product is of U.S. origin. Traditionally, the Commission has required that a product advertised as Made in USA be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. "All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.
    Now that doesn't mean that companies aren't breaking the law, but your example is out right deception and that company can be prosecuted.
    "Assembled in America" is different from "Made in USA" and they cannot be interchanged. And while the proper language is Made in USA using Made In America is considered Expressed Intent and must meet the same requirement. As for Assembled in America, A product that includes foreign components may be called "Assembled in USA" without qualification when its principal assembly takes place in the U.S. and the assembly is substantial. For the "assembly" claim to be valid, the product’s last "substantial transformation" also should have occurred in the U.S. That’s why a "screwdriver" assembly in the U.S. of foreign components, the handle and blade, into a final product at the end of the manufacturing process doesn’t usually qualify for the "Assembled in USA" claim. It could be labeled Assembled in America from Foreign components.

I think where people are getting the 50% rule is that the government requires products to be at least 50% American content in order to be considered for government procurement

2. lets keep the politics out and information in:)

3. Drive Em

Drive Em

I have alot of friends who work at the MSD factory, and I have been on a tour of their 100,000 square foot manufacturing plant personally at least four times, and I can verify that they were building all ot their MSD boxes on site. I saw them buiding distributors, boxes and HEI modules. I also saw them building the little RPM chips that alot of their components use. I can tell you that no 6AL box was ever made in China my MSD as long as I can remember.

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

It's not hard to find MADE IN THE USA.
    Hunter Engineering

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

I didn't say it was right, or federally legal, but there are rules and regs at the state, and sometimes municipal level as to what constitues what, and I've seen too many products where that is exactly what is going on.

I'm glad you work for the FTC, GO GET 'EM.

As for a MSD product with "made in china" on it, I seem to remember several news stories of counterfeit products being brought into this country being a large problem for quite a while.

I believe Edelbrock got hit with a wave of that a while ago, wouldn't surprise me if MSD got ripped off the same way.

6. Bigugly

Bigugly

I do apologize if my post sounded political, it was not meant to be. The topic had been brought up earlier in this thread, and I thought it was relative to several posts made.

7. In this case Federal Law trumps and State or Local regs. And NO I don't work for the FTC, but I have had to deal with this in various jobs over the years, so I have become somewhat immersed in the law. The only way "we" can stop this is to report it when we see it going on. If nobody bothers to do anything about it, then it just continues and people will keep bitching with no one to blame but themselves.

As for the MSD box, I can't say that it was or wasn't counterfeit, but in most cases of counterfeit products, country of origin is not on them unless that is where the original is built also. Not to say that if it was a fake that the crooks weren't smart enough to realize that would tip someone off. Maybe MSD doesn't have any stuff made overseas, but then again, maybe they do. I can't say for sure, but I know this particular AL6 said made in China on it, right next to the MSD logo on the bottom.

8. Drive Em

Drive Em

I guess my next question should be-"Where is Pertronix made?"

9. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

I read on another forum that all MSD 'Streetfire' stuff is made in China.

10. daddio211

daddio211

I bought a Stage III chassis from "Classic Street Rod Manufacturing" in Ontario, CA several years back. Nice guys, incredible chassis.

The whole front end was Magnum Axle, and as I opened boxes I smiled at the MADE IN USA stickers on everything. Interestingly, the boxes that the rotors were in said MADE IN USA on the outside, but the rotors had a MADE IN CHINA sticker right on them.

Not slammin' anyone, just sayin'...

11. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

MODINE of Racine Wisconsin I belive still makes SOME of their radiators here in the USA. Other Modine models are made in Mexico and Yugoslavia!!. I guess you should ask where your radiator was made befor ordering.

Be Cool Radiators (becool.com) say there product is 100% American made with some coming from Europe. Better then China I guess!

12. Since you asked -
    PerTronix Ignitors - Made in USA
    PerTronix Billet Distributors - Made in USA
    PerTronix Second Strike Ignition Boxes - Made in USA
    PerTronix Digital Rev Limiters - Made in USA
    PerTronix Plug Wires - Made in USA
    PerTronix Coils - Made in USA, China and Mexico, the reason for this is the only large US coil manufacturer left in business cannot keep up with our demand. MOST Ignition companies coils are made overseas for the same reason.

13. Drive Em

Drive Em

Awesome!! I know that the MSD Blaster coils are made in Mexico as well. All of the MSD Streetfire stuff is made in China.

14. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

YES! They really are NICE! See them here;
    http://www.obrientruckers.com/ecom/product/241/2684/
    And how it all happened, read it here;
    http://used-dirt.blogspot.com/

15. all good information,

16. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

17. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Its interesting how many more international vendors are showing at SEMA every year.
    The horse is out of the barn

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

I put a NAPA ball joint in a customers s10 made in China in 30,000 mi of street use it just flat broke scary. Several years I got some shop lights on the the box it said assembled in USA> I opened the box just a bunch of parts it was assembled in the US I did it.

19. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Just where in the hell do think the tool your on was made.........come on computres are not trad!!

20. Grumbler

Grumbler

I've gone through two MSD 6AL-2 boxes and one Blaster coil within eighteen months of new. The boxes failed on the road, the coil was kind enough to do it in the garage

21. Sorta O/T, but UMI Performance builds their entire line of performance suspension parts in PA.

22. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Motor mounts have been made for decades in India and sold in the USA by the leading brand name in motor mounts. I would be leery of mounts made in China though.

23. Larry T

Larry T

Just wondering how many here use Eagle rods or rotating assemblies.
    Larry T

24. That reminded me of something... The old Denman tire barnd has gone to India. You'd think they'd know a thing or 2 about rubber...but I bought 2 of their tires for my trailer and they just fell apart after about 300 mi. Got looking at them closely, and it looked like some kid made them out of Play-Doh... AVOID.

25. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

26. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I have spent a lot of time in China over the last 16 years and the above is so far from the truth it's laughable.

27. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

I try to buy USA made,but i do like the china made Halibrand knockoffs...nice,and the price is right...

28. First of all ..I’m not going to keep my mouth shut about the slamming of the company where I have worked at for Close to 20 years now… you know it as M.S.D Ignition
    All 6 series boxes ( 6425-6420-6200-6520-6530 etc.) 7 series,msd8 msd 10 etc…are MADE HERE IN THE U.S.A
    Every piece is hand assembled, tested and boxed through long hours by dedicated HARD WORKING AMERICAN employees that don’t receive the acknowledgement Of building the world’s best ignition! YES, The Street Fire line is a new brand from MSD that is made in China but, delivers quality at a budget price. Keep in mind that

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  29. The 5520 ignition box is made here. Now the blaster coils, not going to lie…are made over seas. The reason is all and I mean all oil filled Coils are made oversea because of the environmental concerns of the hazardous oils that are inside them. Basically they are made to Our specs, but feel free to look at the hvc series coils that are all made by human hands here.
    Now, what bothers me, is the FAKE 6al that was made in china….yes , there is a series of “knock-off” companies in china that has copied Our brand and are currently selling them at a cut throat rate! Just realize if it is that cheap, It is a fake. There is a well known One that has this part number and serial number on it ( 6420 ---682013) (please be aware this one is fake.)

30. If your in the neighborhood, feel free to stop by to See for yourself, first hand on how Everything is built and tested by AMERICANS!!!! Every EMPLOYEE here is a gear head at heart …M.S.D. prides itself on developing and testing products on our own daily drivers and race cars to ensure nothing but the best for all loyal customers.

check out :http://www.msdvideos.com/featured_landing.php?reset=true
    and look at ignition shop tour .

J.D. ST.CYR
    M.S.D. PERFORMACE
    1490 Henry Brennan Drive
    [email protected]