Register now to get rid of these ads!

66 F100 for a Model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyfords, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Opinion time:

Would you guys trade a real nice, original 66 F100 shortbox for a Model A?

Keep in mind that the 66 is my daily driver and the Model A would have to be as well. My commute is short (15 miles) and doesn't involve any highways.

Here's the 66. Original paint, original everything, minimal rust, 62K original miles. I'm the second owner.

Attached Files:

2. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

I wouldnt trade, but im sure some people would trade you.
    A model A would take a lot work/know how to become a daily driver too...
    especially if you want it to be original and be able to keep up w/ todays traffic...so you better have some deep pockets to put money into it.

3. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

As a fun car, I'd rather have the A, but as a daily I think you'd be better off w/ the truck.

4. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

I like the truck,keep it and buy the A.The A will need a lot of attention for a daily driver.MHO

5. Depends on what the A looks like. In the same shape as the truck.....in a heart beat.

6. Crankhole

Crankhole

Condition being equal....definitely.

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

The truck is cool and looks like it will last a long time.. Keep driving it and save for the model A project.......

8. Are we talkin' original model A or someone's old hot rod or ????

Too little information to make a desicion.

9. Don,I know you have wanted a Model A for a long time and the 66 Ford truck is very nice.

I also know you had a pretty cool T bucket.

[​IMG]

As others have ask,,is it a old hot rod or a original Henry piece? HRP

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

As a matter of practicality, the trade really doesn't make sense unless the A is a top class restoration with highway/city mods like hydraulic brakes, perhaps OD in the torque tube, even A/C, HA! or a well-built currently running and being driven hot rod.

On the other hand if you WANT a Model A, you didn't say what body style either and that matters ALOT, do it and see how it works out. Hell I would and I've needed a pickup off and on for 20 years.

11. Thanks for the input.

What I'd be considering would be a stock Model A, very mechanically sound but I wouldn't be too concerned about a pristine body.

I know the coupes and roadsters are pricey, so I'd look for a tudor or 4 door sedan.

I pretty much just drive like an old lady to work and back....all on secondary roads, so I figure why not drive the coolest thing I can get my hands on, and in my eyes, to achieve the highest level of cool, it HAS to be pre-war and have exposed fenders and headlights.

You guys are probably right though. The 66 is a hell of nice vehicle, requires almost no maintenance and can be driven in modern traffic.

12. Even nice the truck's worth like a grand, tops, especially in this economy. Trade and run with the A just as fast as you possibly can, if it doesn't work out you can sell it and buy 3 or 4 of those trucks.

13. Yeah Danny, that little bucket was nice, but let me tell ya....that thing scared me in traffic. One stupid teenager texting on a cell phone and I would've been ejected from that thing like a rocket.

The bucket was definitely for cruising on rod runs, etc.....and not for getting to work.

14. No disrespect intended, but I'll buy all of the rust free, original paint, low-mileage 66 short-boxes you can bring me for double your money if you can buy them for under $1K.

15. So this is purely hypothetical? there is no Model A currently being offered up?

Don't expect a Model A to be much safer than that T in case you meet that texting airhead teenager either

16. BigChief

BigChief

You're kidding right? You forgot the smiley? A dry southern truck like that (especially the short box trucks) up here in the rust belt is worth ALOT more than a 1000 bucks in ANY economy. I'm with the OP on this one....If you have trucks just like this sitting around for a cool grand I'll be at your place with a trailer in a NewYork minute.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Guess I'd have to see the A first

18. Not entirely hypothetical....I had a guy ask me the other day to consider a trade. Don't know how serious he really is, but in simply considering it, I find that I'm really torn on the issue.

I can hop in the 66 and drive it to Dallas right now....no worries. It's a great truck. However, it's not nearly as cool as a fendered open headlight car....not even close.

19. I got news for you,,down South a nice 65/66 Ford truck like Dons is worth a heck of a lot more than a grand,I believe you have them confused with rusty trucks eat up by salt that you find around your neck of the woods.HRP

20. Don,you know I love old 30's Fords but I would think long and hard about trading the truck,you know you hit a home run when you found it! HRP

21. A Rodder

A Rodder

Pm me if you want to sell the truck, then go by an A. Pass on the fordors. Those trucks are one of my favorites. You need to figure what yours is worth, regardless of what you paid for it, then compare it to A prices to decide if its a fair deal. Joe

22. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I'd trade in a heartbeat if the A is in decent condition.....

23. Jake H.

Jake H.

What he said. I get offers for considerably more than a grand for my daily '66. And it's a long bed with some minor hood rot.

I'd keep the truck as a daily. They are like a faithful, old dog.

24. That's an excellent description of them. I get in, in the morning, pump the gas twice, pull out the choke a bit and the engine fires before it even turns over once. It seems like it's impossible to overheat it, and there's a ton of room in it.

Okay...no trade. But damn I want a Model A.

How much are they getting for kidneys these days? :rolleyes:

25. Hotroddon....that's a hell of a nice RPU in your avatar.

26. You're right Danny....and that means a lot coming from the guy who's got some of the nicest stuff on the HAMB.

27. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

GREAT TRUCK. Whatever you do, don't sell or trade it in New York. "A grand" ... Absurd

If it is for sale please PM me

28. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Keep the truck!! I from your area..i know what they go for..youve got a great keeper.

29. Show me one anywhere that sold for much more than a grand. The guy across the road had a solid one two or three years ago and I looked into what it was worth for him. I could find plenty of perfectly nice, shiny paint, drivers that sold for around a grand - and that in a lot better economy - not rusted out pieces of shit. Then I went to the "Slick 60's" web board when I stupidly bought one anyways that was a rusty piece of shit and had those guys tell me it wasn't worth what it would bring over the scale at the scrapyard. They are only worth their weight in metal, unless you hit on something like a truck with a factory muscle car engine or something. And even then, it's a postwar Ford that's not a convertible, woodie, or two-seat T-bird, it's not going to bring much money unless you find a fool that doesn't know what he's looking at. You don't want to know how many good, solid ones I've seen go to scrap the last 12 months or so. If I ever get another one it's going directly there except for the stop for rearend removal.

Hell, even if you find some fool to give you $2500 for it, the Model A running and going is still worth $5000 or better, even if it's a fordor, it's still a screaming deal of a trade.

30. A Rodder

A Rodder

I sold the one in my Avatar for 6k a few months ago, its a 64, sold a 65 two months ago for a little over ten, sold another 65 for 10,500 two years ago.