Register now to get rid of these ads!

help me pick a cam for 283" cheby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cheapstreet duster, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Cheapstreet duster

Cheapstreet duster
    from georgia

I need a cam...
    ive Got a 283" sbc from a 61 vette..stock rebuilt heads .516 clearence to valve lift/coil bind.
    its got stock flatop pistons... .012 clean up pass on block .018 on heads.. 8.6-1 compression.
    i have a 3-2 carb set up..and its a 4spd muncie on a 30 model A chassis with a 3.08 10" rear and 29" tires..
    Im looking for a decent flat hydraulic tappic cam that has good low and mid range.for street mannors..ill sacrifice some top end..as i only run it down track maybe 5-6 events a year..
    would like a good crack out the pipes..(sound)..but perfromance is more important..
    Needs to compliment the 3-2 bbl carb set up..

what do you guys like?

cheapst

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Call Comp Cams, tell them everything you have in your post, and they will hook you up with the right cam.
    My son did just that when he built his 383" stroker small block.
    He is very happy with what they recommended, and he is an automotive engineer.

3. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I have a 283 bored .60 over with 305 HO heads and am using a Melling 222 cam (close to the L79 Corvette cam)
    It gives me very nice low to mid range performance, and still in the ~14mpg range if I drive it decent.
    I like it a lot.
    Good luck,
    Cheers........

5. sololobo

sololobo

Can't go wrong with the 097 Duntov and some solid lifters. ~sololobo~

6. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Never heard of a "Cheby" , I do know that GM made a "Chevy" which had a very popular engine with 283 cubic inch displacement , mabye it will be kinda hard to find parts for a "Cheby" since I would assume that they are pretty rare , I've never heard of one....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. krooser

krooser

It seems those "thumper" cams are popular with guys who like a little rumble form the engine...

8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Don't feel bad man, folks up here never heard of Ramps either !!! :eek:
    I recently moved back to WI from WV, and love those ramps....(However the wife sure didn't appreciate when I ate them, or worse yet that night when expelling the wind from them!!) :cool:
    Cheers......

9. Dats because non of your friends are latino. Although it is spelt wrong mang it should be Chebby. ;)
    Actually if one wanted to mince words "Chevy" is also slang it is properly called Chevrolet. But we are not ones to mince words are we. :rolleyes:

10. gwarren007

gwarren007

11. echale3

echale3

That cam should give you exactly what you want--streetable power and a good sound.

My '60 Biscayne came with a 2-barrel 283. When I rebuilt the engine, I used the XE262H cam/lifter kit and added slightly modded Power Pack heads (shaved .035, dual valve springs, valve angles reground, etc), HEI, a 500 CFM Carter AFB, and an Edelbrock 2701 intake. The rest of it I rebuilt to pretty much stock specs.

The XE262H is a nice "street" cam with good power from idle on up to about 5K rpm or so. Through my dual exhaust w/Flowmasters it's got a nice lumpy crackle at idle and a healthy bellow when you step on the gas.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  12. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

Run a mutha thumpr from comp cams

13. jbuechler

jbuechler

I have a friend with a 283 in a 58 Chevy, He has a boat cam (yes, out of a boat) in it. I have a 350 with a Thumpr Cam in a 49 Chevy. He hands me my ass on a regular basis and paid less than half of what I did for his cam. The cam sounds unbelievable and has power from start to finish. He sounds great at idle and when the pedal is on the floor. I can get you more info if that is what you are looking for. I have video with sound of mine and can get you all of the numbers from both. Good luck, Big decision. A cam is like wheels, It makes or breaks a hot rod.

14. rover

rover
    from pomona

REALLY?! Thats an old one. been hearing people call em CHEBBIES since i was a kid and didn't know "chit" about cars. Ever heard of a "chit"????? Stick around awhile...

15. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please tell us all more

16. jbuechler

jbuechler

490 lift 292 duration. 1/2 lift. 350 hp from 1500-6500rpm. He got it from Crane. He said it is supposed to be a marine cam and paid $110. This is his information, I have never seen the spec sheet. I have a Thumpr cam from Comp Cams and couldn't be happier with it. I am just in it for the noise though.

17. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I'd keep a stock cam. Or something damn close. That motor doesn't have the cubes/compression/stroke to support most kinds of a "performance" cam. It'll have shit low/mid RPM power (with "almost" any kind of performance grind). I suspect that's where it'll spend most of it's time?

18. racer32

racer32

More 283 cam talk, back from the dead.