Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Usa made parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NONAME, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Ohio Rodder

Ohio Rodder

Look up Butch's Cool Stuff - all of their items (including motor mounts, frenching rings, transmission mounts, lowering kits etc.) are made right here in Dayton Ohio! www.butchscoolstuff.com

2. insisting on US parts is not always an option. I have to use available parts in my business. but if I have a choice Price would not be a consideration.

3. Good information. I used to buy bear claw latches from a company that supplied Freightliner for 8 bucks and a dollar for the pins. that source is gone now

4. Thanks Dennis..............48 HEMI

5. I just returned $650 in suspension parts that I deemed unuseable. they didn't match the original parts. some of the original parts were bad, I replaced them with better used parts for under $100.00
    I didn't blame the seller (I probably should, they are a large supplier) but as always they were shocked " We sell lots of these and you are the first to have a problem" yeah sure!!

6. rodknocker

rodknocker

Buy American, put americans to work, bring back the pride Americans once had in thier output, reopen the factories, tax the shit out of imported goods, replenish the economy, be happy. Well I wish it were this easy anyway.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  7. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I sell alot of NOS and OEM Ford/GM/Mopar parts on ebay. You won`t believe how many e-mails I get asking me to beat autozone prices on cheap,cheap,cheap made in China crap.

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Had to replace a SBC intake manifold water neck recently. Called a local Chevy dealer who has a performance parts section and asked if they had any chrome SBC Chevy water necks not made in China. They said Rots a Ruck.

9. 4t7flat

4t7flat

Made In USA,can mean it was made in Puerto Rico. I found this out when I started haveing trouble with Standard points. The new ones made in Puerto Rico are junk. All the boxes say MADE in USA and its legal because they have a US zip code. NAPA Echlin points are actually Standard points,look at the adress its the same. Car Quest also sells Standard brand,under their name. Bendix wheel cylinders sold by just about everyone,have Made in USA cast right on them,only because the mold is made that way. Actually they are made in Mexico,and I have had many fail right out of the box. They have crude machine work,that cause the seals to leak,or the poor quality iron is pourus,or cracks,when installed.

10. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

i have a friend here in Kenosha that works at a company that does repackaging. They do mostly Harley Davidson parts that are made in China. The parts come in from China and are put into Harley boxes marked Made in the USA, how you ask does Harley get away with this? the box is made and printed here so, Made in the USA.

So just becouse it says USA, doesent mean it is!

11. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

You can still get the latches from Freightliner for less than the aftermarket junk.

12. 117harv

117harv

The person/business owner who has items made over seas is the one who is responsible for their quality. He, the US. citizen first takes what he wants made to the maufacturer, they make one and he checks out the fit/finish and decides if it is good enough. If it needs to be thicker or have a better fit and finish it is up to the the person having the work done to make sure the quality is up to where it needs to be.

Our over seas folks make some very nice products at times. If you want to buy only American you will never succeed, they are all inter twined. There are some US. only speed parts as previously mentioned, and that is a great thing. I do my best to get US. made but as previously posted that does not always mean quality.

13. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Ive seen this done several times with bike and car parts . - Mayor

14. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

You hit the nail square on the head! Amen!

15. Bigugly

Bigugly

I sell Afco radiators on a regular basis to my hot rod/street customers. I have never had a bad experience with their direct bolt in line of radiators. All are made in the US by Afco. Great fit and finish out of the box, and usually hundreds cheaper than Be Cool. QA1 products are made in Minnesota as well.

16. Puerto Rico is a US Territory, it is a Commonwealth, like Massachusetts or Kentucky, and the citizens of PR are US Citizens (even though they can't vote in Presidential elections). So items made there ARE Made in the US.
    As for the wheel cylinder that are made in Mexico and say Made In USA, if true, this is illegal and should be presented to the US Customs dept. who will investigate - they do it all the time

As with the Wheel Cylinders above, this practice as you have started it is illegal. If they are truly doing this you should report the facts to US Customs, that's the only way this kind of thing will be stopped.
    For a "Made in USA" claim to be accurate, all significant parts, processing and labor that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. Products should not contain any — or only negligible — foreign content.

According to FTC officials, there's no law that requires manufacturers and marketers of most products to disclose U.S. content. In fact, except for automobiles and textile and wool products, it's a manufacturer or advertiser's choice to say whether a product is domestic. But those who choose to make the claim must adhere to the "all or virtually all" standard, Not 50% as stated elsewhere.

While the FTC enforces the "Made in USA" standard, it's the U.S. Customs Service that oversees the requirements that imported goods be marked with a foreign country of origin (for example, "Made in Japan").

If you believe that a product is being erroneously promoted as "Made in USA" because it wasn't - or because it contains significant foreign parts or processing - call the FTC, toll-free, at 1-877-FTC-HELP or file a complaint online at ftc.gov. If you are aware of import or export fraud, call the U.S. Customs Service Commercial Fraud Hotline, 1-800-ITS-FAKE.

That is mostly true. I can tell you for a fact that the Chinese in particular are very good at presenting first articles and even early production runs where the quality is very high, and then they cut corners and cheapen the product as time goes by. It happens a lot with Chinese products.

17. ohiohotrods

ohiohotrods

i can tell you one that built their name on quality and pride of made in usa and now sell foreign made cheap crap is drake. used to be all USA!!!

18. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

19. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! Still have my trusty 6 cell... :D

20. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Well said! I know we can compete with China if we put our minds to it and stick together.
    <O:p</O:p
    Being made in USA does not guarantee quality, but at least we can tell the mfg to get her/his act together or we buy elsewhere. Say that to the Chinese mfgs right now and all you'll hear is laughing on the other end of the phone.
    <O:p</O:p

21. TwinTownTerror

TwinTownTerror
    from Minnesota

Rodknocker I'm with you!

This issue used to bother me a lot. Still does but not as much now. What bothers me a lot now is getting a quality product no matter where it's from. Everything now is an overpriced short serivce life,throw away, just replace it product.

22. Here's something to contemplate. I am looking for a new grille and tailgate for my F150.
    Both are available in Import and US made. Look at the difference in price, and to be honest the quality is pretty close.
    The Grille, Import $259.00, US $549.00 - more than double!
    Tailgate, Import $219.00, US $399.00
    So lets think about this, if I get both in the Import version I save $470.00, basically HALF PRICE. I could buy a whole lot more parts with that savings. And before you spout off and say you'd go for the US, price be damned, look real far inside yourself and see if you could really justify that much difference.
    AS for me, the tailgate I will probably buy the US. The Grille I will take another look at saving mine and having the dents removed and then re anodizing it.
    But you can see the dilemma

23. Deuces

Deuces

I agree 100%....

24. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

On a tour of the Harley plant in York I noticed one of those elcheepo carboard boxes on the floor beside the assembly line. You know, the kind with funny lettering . I didn't see what was in the box or that it was made in China , but I suspect it was.

25. alchemy

alchemy

I build parts in my own basement here in the middle of the USofA. I have sold them all over our country, as well as to a few other continents. I'm a one-man shop.

Attached Files:

26. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

One more thing, and I'm not here to promote Made in China because I wish everything I buy was made here. But, I believe the Chinese people are just as capable as we are of making quality products. What we get is determined by the importers and they are out to make a buck , so quality isn't high on their list.

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

You can thank the American labor unions for the Chinese crap we're all dealing with today. They have negotiated the U.S. workers right out of their jobs with unreasonable demands driving U.S. manufacturing jobs overseas. Why would a company pay their workers high salaries and benefits when they can go to China and pay peanuts? Look what they've done to the automotive industry. I've been in the aviation business all my life. Heavy Maintenance previously done on U.S. registered aircraft in the U.S. by U.S. workers is now done in Hong Kong by Chinese workers. What have they accomplished?
    '

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  28. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

I definlty understand what your sayin. I work in a body shop and have been a tech for about 14 years. We work on newer autos only..you wouldn't believe what these insurance companies make us put on "your" damaged vehicle.Taiwian and chinese aftermarket oem parts is a big industry. Your insurance companies cheap out when it comes to repairing a car. We as well as other shops have no say-so in the situation either. About 75% percent of the parts replaced nowadays are cheap taiwan junk(thinner gauge metal and poor fit and finish). So beware, next estimate you get,check it over..your insurance comp. Is screwing you to make more money.

29. smitty city

smitty city

imho it's your friendly government and all the regs and zoning and other bs. henry ford (and thousands of others) would not be allowed to start his company in the garage with todays requirements. as time goes on, and layer after layer of bureaucracy piles up its a wonder anything can be produced in this third world country.

30. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The Buegler Striper is still Made in USA. Don't know about 1-Shot paint though.