Register now to get rid of these ads!

How low is too low?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Sep 18, 2011.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I'm talking for safety reasons. I'm running 4 inch blocks on what I think are the stock springs. Without a notched frame, I'm hitting the rubber bump stops in the fenderwells with the rearend. I've been thinking about bagging it or changing out the rear springs. Should I be worried about how it sits now? Thanks, guys!

Attached Files:

2. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Thats how I roll, (haha) i have 4 1/4 inch blocks and removed two springs. It basically rides on the bump stops. Nothing unsafe about it, just not the smoothest ride ever, but its good enough for me!
    I wouldn't be worried about it, but if you wanted to change it for more clearance, you could do a simple old school pipe notch in the frame

[​IMG]

3. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

hitting the bump stops keep you from over bending the stock springs. i would not worry but i would notch the frame if you like how it sits now. that way you have suspension still

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

did a search on this subject? can cut bump stops or use short aftermarket ones - just keep metal from touching metal - good shocks too.

5. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

LAYIN FRAME is as fifties as an asian built minitruck

6. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

?.....

7. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Amen.

8. 61TBird

61TBird

Don't know what the "Laws" in Ohio are regarding Lowered vehicles...

In California;
    24008. It is unlawful to operate any passenger vehicle, or commercial vehicle under 6,000 pounds, which has been modified from the original design so that any portion of the vehicle, other than the wheels, has less clearance from the surface of a level roadway than the clearance between the roadway and the lowermost portion of any rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.

Do a search for "Scrub Line"....

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the best quote of the year let alone of the day, week or month.
    Hr54Chevy keep at least some of the bump stop. If the axle bangs on the frame enough it can and probably will crack the frame over the axle.

Too low is when you get hung up going in and out of driveways and over speed bumps even at a crawl.

It may be because I am one of the older guys but to me a car with bags that is laid out on the ground at a show with the tires sitting at an angle that makes it look like a former Dukes of Hazard jump car is about the silliest fad that ever came down the pike. Why do guys think their car looks cool when it looks broken?

10. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Looks low enough to me. Lets see a side shot of the whole car.

11. If you are asking about safety, this would be the answer.

If the vehicle is not violating scrub line, then you should be fine from a safety standpoint.

Also good advice to not have metal-to-metal contact from the suspension to the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ!!!

12. Stop when you see sparks!

13. gotit

gotit

6 feet under is too low for me

14. as posted twice now... scrub line

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If ya can't change your tires.

16. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

Too Low is if you can't drive off but too high if a pregnant ant can crawl under it

17. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

A virtual 360 around my car! :D

Attached Files:

18. Too low is when you can't get it on and off the trailer.

I have always tried to keep mine so that if I have a flat tire it doesn't drag off body parts. Less to do with safety and more to do with maintenance.

All that said when I was a kid they were just starting to develop speed bumps and prior to that driveways was all you had to worry about. We used to run little casters on the rear bumper to help with the driveway problem. Speed bumps were a real game changer.

Someone mentioned the axle housing smacking the frame, I don't really see that as a safety issue but a mechanical issue. I think that mechanical issues shuold be adressed before anything else but I am more of a function sort of a fella.

19. On my old truck I could just barely make a fist and get it between the ground and the bottom of the front fender. I had to c-notch the frame at the rear. It could have presented a problem if I had a flat but I never did and I drove the crap out of that old truck. I would not have wanted it much lower than that though.
    Later,
    Dick

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

you know your car is too low when everytime you get home you have to pick all the road kill out of the grill, so it dont stink your shop up