Register now to get rid of these ads!

Perfect or not.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Riva B., Sep 16, 2011.

1. Riva B.

Riva B.

Would like to drive the 53 around in primer just to enjoy it while scraping together the cash to have it painted and have all the rechroming done. Some people have been giving me a hard time about this, what did you guys and gals do? Enjoy it or wait till it was perfect?

2. jstanotheidiot

jstanotheidiot

I whould Drive it till the wheel's fell off,Pick them up n drive it some more

3. I am probably the wrong person to ask, I have mostly driven beaters since gawd knows when. Perfect mechanicles and rough bodies have been the norm for me.

But I was always going to paint it when I had the cash. Something I learned a long time ago is it is hard to pull one down for paint and chrome if it is up and running. At least it has always been hard for me.

That said it is more than acceptable to drive one rough while waiting to finish it. It doesn't hurt to show some progress once in awhile.

4. Tony

Tony

Drive it and have fun.

5. ckunsman89

ckunsman89
    from cocoa, FL.

Most professional paint jobs are done by removing doors, fenders, hood, and deck lid to paint everything seperately. This is better than spraying a car all together, because you get all the parts evenly. If this is what you plan to do, I would assemble the car, block sand the panels, then disassemble to paint. Driving around in primer will lead to water retention, nicks, etc in your primer. A paint job can only be as good as the prep job. Driving a car while doing bodywork ususlly only leads to more work, and poorer quality imo.

6. Riva B.

Riva B.

She's great looking even in primer, lil OD on the bondo on the rear quarter but other that that looks great but I keep hearing about how I'm rushing it and should to wait till the body is totally complete, made me wonder if i am rushing it.

7. Riva B.

Riva B.

Ahh! No water retention.

8. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

It's your ride man. Why would you listen to anyone else out there but yourself? Like has been said above. Drive it till the wheels fall off!

9. just ask the next person who says anything ...whos name is on the title ..... thats all that matters

if it was mine and had holes init big enouigh to through a cat through and it ran damb skippy im gonna drive it ive driven cars that have had the whole quarter panel cut off of them and front fenders missing

if your fine with it , dont let anyone tell you what to do

yeah primer and bondo does soak up water so if its in primer and you wanna kepp it make it sealer primer

10. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

sounds like your fishing for drama.....

11. Riva B.

Riva B.

I wasn't aware that primer and bondo hold water, Thanks for the heads up.

12. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

I went a buddies artshow the other day and some young kid felt the need to tell me that people did not drive cars in primer in the 50's and he had never seen a picture of one.

I laughed and told him I have lots of pictures of cars being driven in primer, course they are photos from the family photo albums and not feature cars in a main stream publication.

This being one of my favorites, Uncle George 1948 is what it says on the back

[​IMG]

13. cederholm

cederholm

Did you buy this car to drive or trailer? I'm driving my 53 before paint!

14. Riva B.

Riva B.

Definatetly to drive.

15. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I've always enjoyed driving my projects while building them. Would you rather look at a torn down project that will never be on the road or a project that you can drive?

16. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

A good sealer primer will be fine to cruise around with and you can wash it with out it coming off. Another plus to driving it around in the sealer primer is it gives it more time to really cure well and also give you extra time to check out your body work and make sure its just right .- Mayor

17. Reino

Reino

Sounds to me like you answered your own question....

I agree with you, drive it.

18. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

It's yours, do what you want with it. Don't let others get you down!

19. drs47ford

drs47ford
    from Western NY

If I wait until mine's painted before I drive it, I'll probably never drive it. I wish I was far enough along that I had your dilemma.....gonna be a while.
    I say just drive it and have fun and don't let other people influence what you know you really want to do.

20. You know the old saying around here "When it runs...it's done!"

They're never really "finished" anyway, so don't sweat it.

21. Jaronimo

Jaronimo

Ok, my opinion, and I could be wrong, is drive that only if you have a big old grin on your face while you drive it.

I would bet serious money that everyone that has an issue with you driving a primer vehicle is making montly car payments. While you on the other hand own your vehicle free and clear. So, who really has the upper hand here? You driving your car with a big old grin on your face, or everyone else driving a vehicle that is owned by the bank, and making monthly payments?

22. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

If I waited to drive my F1 until it was painted, I wouldn't be driving it tonight. Get it in sealer and start having fun with it. If some one bitches, just tell them it's because you didn't have their phone number to ask if it was OK.

23. 1953girlracer

1953girlracer
    from Redlands

Drive it and enjoy every minute paint will come eventually. You will get lots of good comments and thumbs up from all who appreciate a heat older vehicle

Sent from Chick's iPhone using TJJ

24. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Hey, I had mine painted with DP90. I decided that before spending a bunch of money on paint and interior it would be smart to see if I even liked the car. That was three summers ago and I have been driving the wheels off of it. I can easily afford to have it painted , but the more I drive it in primer the more I like it.

This whole thing about primered cars being something less than finish painted cars is a bunch of bull. My car is in primer , but you can eat off of the chassis , engine,trans, etc.. On the other hand I have seen some shiny paint job cars that when you open the hood or look at the running gear are a piece of shiny crap. "Paint don't make it what it aint".

Drive it , enjoy it , and screw those who don't like it.

25. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

if they want you to paint it, tell them to pony up the dough re me.

if they don't want you to drive it, tell them to chauffeur you around and be at your disposal.

if they won't do these things, tell em to stfu.

thats what i'd do.

i drive mine every day, it's in primer. it's "done" as far as I'm concerned.

26. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Drive it like you stole it!

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Drive it. My T still needs finishing touches and I'll get to them when cash and time allows.

28. It's simple just drive it !!!

29. skoh73

skoh73

My car had a $300 cheapo paint job when I bought it 3 years ago and it is starting to get a little crummy. I don't have the money for paint, but I'm sure as hell not gonna lose out on the fun of driving it until i get it as nice as I want it.

Drive it until you are ready to finish bodywork and paint it. Have fun.

30. brad chevy

brad chevy

You are actually asking if you can drive your own car. Maybe its time to get some new friends that don't try to tell you how to run your life. Drive it and enjoy it .