Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's your opinion of this custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SulphuriousSam, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Anyone growing up in the late 50's/early 60's would be immediately drawn to this beautiful custom.....especially if you liked that song sung by Dion....."The Wanderer" !!
    A classic beauty in my mind...
    (Also agree on the steering wheel knob though....ouch.....:eek:)
    Cheers.........

2. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

I think it's cool that a car I saw in my little bitty rinky dink town's car show has been recognized and remembered by other HAMBers :).

It's weird really, I went to that show hoping to see some hot rods (mostly saw what I think of as street rods) but felt myself paying much more attention to the full bodied customs than the hotrods!

I think I still want to BUILD a hot rod...but I definitely want to OWN a custom :D

3. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

4. i think the car looks great the only thing id change would be the glove box door dont get the louvers in it and it being chromed

5. calvinh

calvinh

Not for an argument because I do subscribe to this theory in most aspects of life but when it comes to building a car simple goes out the window in a hurry. If we as car guys (and gals) kept things simple this hobby and lifestyle wouldn't exist. Simple means no A's on Deuce rails. No Mercs with a chopped top. No Falcons with a nasty Buick Nailhead set back in the firewall. No Winfield, Barris, or Alexander customs. There's aspects of this car that don't appeal to me personally but considering the time period it was built and the idea he was obviously going for I think its a bad ass car. And what's even cooler is that his widow has it out for others to enjoy and not tucked away somewhere. Again, not for an argument. Just my thoughts.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  6. outlaw256

outlaw256

i was in my 20s in the late 70s and thats when i really started to notice customs. and this car says 70s and early 80s to me. if i were trying to build a custom today and wanted a 70s style this would be it. i like the car alot and if it were mine id loose some things on it.but thats me not her(the owner).she was every right in the world to be proud of that car.hell id be proud of it if it were sittin in my driveway!that car may be too busy and thats why it grabs attention but aint that the point of a custom anyway.its a well built car and i love to own it.

7. ferrets bueller

ferrets bueller
    from NW Indiana

love the taillights, hate the skirts and exhaust. Its not subtle enough for me, IMO. Too much going on.

8. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Because they own the car and they can do what the hell they want to.

9. I've seen pics of the car on here before, I'd rock it for a while. Then I would paint it a year later. I like the taillights.

10. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

It's wicked kewl. There's no such thing as the perfect custom. Anyone can nitpick any car. I think it's awesome, I wouldn't change a thing if I came into possession of it.

11. It seems most of us like the "Less is More" look - like this?
    [​IMG]

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Same thing happened to you that happened to Mick (straykatkustoms) 25 years or so ago. You've caught the custom bug in general and the Merc strain in particular. You will never get over it and the only treatment is to get a '49-'51 Merc. You will then be able to function in society again. :D

13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

14. For sure, a ton of folks on this site like 40's to 60's era customs, and want to redo the late 70's and 80's built cars... Like I am doing.

15. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Every time I see it at a show I take a shot or two. My personal taste would finish it differently, but we all should build our cars to what we like and not to what others like, unless they are paying for it or driving it.

16. 32 ford coupe

32 ford coupe

That's what I love about Hot Rods and Customs, there is no right or wrong! As long as it's what the owner likes it's OK. Not exactly the way I would build it, but I'm sure it's somebody's baby!

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here are some scans taken from magazines in the early 80`s. The car, I believe has been bought and sold more than once since it`s been built in California. As the first poster stated, there are elements of this car that draw you in wanting more. Chopped Merc`s tend to have this affect on alot of people.

18. rickkane

rickkane

I'd ditch the spots, flames and some of the striping. And whatever the chrome is on the quarters. Besides that the car looks great. At some point you got to put your wallet away and quit sticking stuff on the car.

19. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Don't believe anyone has mentioned the double-outlet lakes pipes ... I'm partial to the single outlets we ran in the late 50's-early 60's, but the 2 and 3 outlet pipes aren't my cup of tea.

20. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

damn straight! it was his now it's hers,may he R.I.P!i will not openly rip someones car/truck apart--UNLESS it's a rat rod!ya know the ones{new age rat rodZ}

21. Mercchev

Mercchev

I'd buy it and run the wheels off of it, just as it sits.

22. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

Ack! Don't tell me that!!! I can't afford a merc! Even if I found a project to build, with my non-existant skills I'd create a train wreck!!!!! :eek: But...you're right...man I want a merc now...curse you for bringing my sickness to conscious thought! Now i'll never stop thinking about it! LOL :D

A friend of mine went to the show as well and told me today that he heard it was built in California as well. Good to hear that confirmed. Thanks!

I can't help but feel like some are taking the idea of the thread in the wrong vein. You can give an opinion and your take on the car without ripping apart someones car to the point of insult. This is a mild conversation about what aspects of this car represent the "HAMB" outlook, generally speaking, what would have been done differently, etc. I appreciate you not wanting to offend the current owner or disrespect her late husband but an honest critique hurts no one.

If you go far enough with this line of thinking then we couldn't discuss alot of vehicles built in the HAMB era because your more than likely to run into one that the guy who built it has passed away...

Anyway no disrespect for your comment I just wanted to make sure you understood that it wasn't what I asked for nor intended when making the original post.

23. grazy

grazy

We had a very nice clean shaved lowered simple 57 Ford customized when I was young my dad & I took to shows we loved standing far enough in front of the car to look at it & act like we didnt own it just to listen to other peoples opinion we didnt care what they thought and certainly wouldnt change anything on the car because of what they said we just enjoyed what they had to say.Some didnt understand what a 50s custom was. Even the judges couldnt understand some of it not wanting to open the hood & trunk even though ours was finished & detailed better than most but we didnt want to display it sprung open like a swiss army knife score us a zero on those we were not trophy hunters . Our cars are built to our tastes thats what makes each one unique .Some of my all time favorite cars have things I would change if I built one similar to them Even if its the ugliest car Ive ever seen its better than driving something thats stock because thats boring and no fun at all.

24. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

Well said:)

BTW, I went to elementary school in Ashland and Mansfield my pops and his brothers all worked for the steel mill up there when I was very young...

25. weez

weez

I would just replace the James Dean on the horn button with Fonzie... DONE!

I'd take it, a few hours of unbolting and detailing... that 1/4 window is a little kinky though.

I love mentally "rebuilding" other peoples' cars...

26. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

I say leave it alone. It is Kooler than most of the cars at the shows I go to!!!!

Well maybe replace the horn ring with Fonize..lol

27. I'd drive that fucker :D

28. That's cause you're in Ohio! hahaha!

My opinion might seem harsh,but when i'm asked what I think of a Merc...this is the Merc I compare it to. It's the one that sets the bar,for me. NO added shit,NO unnecessary accessories,NO "theme",etc.

Jeffsleds...

Attached Files:

29. I agree with some of the other comments....a little less Striping, less of the doo dads all over the interior. But tHe guy didn't build it for me, he built it to his taste. I still would drive it as is! It's a chopped merc, I mean come on its pretty sweet!