Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dragster conversion? Dumb idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldblue53, Sep 13, 2011.

1. oldblue53

oldblue53

I've been toying with the idea of a FED and running the inline 6 I have just for some summer fun at some of the events that are popping up. I've been looking for used chassis that can be bought on a limited budget and there really don't appear to be to many around. My question to the HAMB collective...What do you all think about taking and older rear engine chassis and moving the axle forward and converting into a front engine?

Dumb idea?

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Maybe I don't fully grasp your idea or concept, but to me it seems that by the time you cut up and modify an old rear engine chassis into a front engine chassis, it would be just a easy or easier to build a new FED chassis from scratch, especially if you want it to pass tech. Just my $1.292.

Good Luck

3. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

not to push a sales add but i build chassis research style chassis pretty cheap.

4. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

There was an inline-powered dragster at Englishtown this year, might be some inspiration for you:

Attached Files:

5. oldblue53

oldblue53

Cool, so many V8's. I don't know what it is about the six but I like it.

6. I never thought I'd say this...

But, get a rule book!

The tubes are in different spots on a rear engine car compared to a front engined car... so you'd be pissing up a rope trying to make it work.

Sam

7. GREASER815

GREASER815

Do it, no one around us has anything like that. It will give us something different to look at.

8. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

You really can't convert a RED to a FED (You mean putting the driver behind the rearend, not moving the rear axle forward). You are better off on keep searching for a deal on a used FED, but unless you know what to look for you could be buying a piece of junk. If you have the ability and can build your own look at the IHRA rule book on-line. They give you the tubing size, and diamentions to build a FED that will cert to 7.50's in the 1/4. If you can't build one on your own contact King Chassis here on the H.A.M.B. His chassis are very reasonably priced, and will be a safe car also.

9. hemi

hemi

Yeah.. not the best idea... If you can't afford to do it right, you can't afford to get hurt.

10. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Yeah I would love to see it! I know it's kinda un-traditional, but a turbo would be wild on one of those

11. oldblue53

oldblue53

My actual thought was to remove the rear axle and move it forward in front of the cage and cut the rear section off thusly shortening the wheelbase. Figured some tube would need to be added in the back that could be gusseted and integrated into a push bar. Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like it's better in thought than in practice.

12. Generaly dragsters are refered to in terms of front engine or rear, when in reality the driver position is what changed, not the engine. I guess it just sound stupid saying rear driver or front driver. Shortening a rear engine car to make it front engine would wind up real short, even if you start with a modern 300 inch fuel chassis.

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Maybe you could put a "Wanted to Trade" ad in National Dragster.

14. build a HA/GR. DaBirdguy has a chassis built for sale CHEAP!!!

15. oldblue53

oldblue53

I have already tried to work a trade deal on the HA/GR chassis for a blower I had. I love the basic rules of the HA/GR class of cars. If I could build one based on those rules yet have a slingshot driver position...

16. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

I really don't think it will work' I'll send you a pic of the front of my rear engine car, talk to Mike at cornfield customs ,he's building my 58 chassis for me ,his prices are fair also Tim jones

17. rick finch

rick finch

Don't even try it....

18. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

A crap sandwich, no matter how good it looks, is still a crap sandwich

19. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Not very doable in my opinion.A front engine needs a stronger front half than a RED would. You would need to remove some tubes that are in the front as support,the cage is typically lower on a RED.Measure the distance between the lower tubes and the dash bar,then figure out how much room you would have for legs after you have put the rear axle in there..A better shot may be an altered chassis,but even then it will never look like an old front engine car. A decent RED is going to cost as much as a almost new front engine chassis anyway,so I don't see a real savings. The upper tubes may be in the way with exhaust headers anyway. Just my opinion.

21. Find a FED to buy or just start from scratch. Inline is a way cool idea though.

22. oldblue53

oldblue53

I got a rule book!!

23. oldblue53

oldblue53

Lots of things open to personal interpretation in the rule book. Reads like you can pretty much do what ever you want for a chassis as long as you don't or can't break the 10 second mark.

24. As cheap is tubing is just do it from scratch. 20' 1 5/8 here is about $40 a stick

25. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Wrong
    The rules are interperted as one must follow the guidlines and if your car goes quicker the 10 the chassie must be inspected and tagged. Tech will not let you run a chassie made from brazed electical conduit even if you only run 12 seconds.

26. oldblue53

oldblue53

Perhaps I am not understanding what the rule book says then. I understand that you must follow the rules what it comes to material thickness and weld quality. Statements about required kidney protection and helmet clearances. They have diagrams that are specific to the cage area of the car but I have read no statements that specifically say the cage must match those designs to a specific. If i'm missing then please let me know where the statement is.

I have seen several pictures of cars going down the track that do not look anything like what they show in the rule book as far as overall cage design.

27. plan9

plan9

Inline idea is great.
    Nothing wrong with creative thinking but try interpreting the rules w/o first hand experience building drag race chassis and you will be walking away from tech very disapointed. At the end of the day the tech inspector has final say, not you.

28. Me and one of the fellas have actually been toying with the idea of cutting up a rear engine chassis and doing about the same thing with a pair of inline engines. Older chassis are cheap around here, cheaper than you could buy the metal to build a chassis.

Old Blue,
    Where you are missing it is that the tech inspector is the one doing the personal interpretation. Sometimes you can get away with things that are a little off if he is your cousin, but you still can't actually miss the mark it has to resemble the wording enough that the tech can get away with letting it pass.

29. oldblue53

oldblue53