Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The "Antique Doll" Flathead Dragster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by D_Lazaris, Sep 12, 2011.

1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I was trying to be polite and tell you that the aluminum slots would look better on the back, understandable if the Hurst's won't fit. Throwing away the Magnesium's is certainly regrettable.:eek: The car is bitchin.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

And the Moons are soooo '59! Looks bitchin'! By the time this chassis first rolled, dragsters were in a extreme devlopemental metamorphiosis, and one of those changes was the move to Halibrands and Palimedes mags from Moons and steel wheels. I feel you on the price of Halibrands... Especially the no hole spindle mounts! They look lots better than the late sixties slot mags. Looks great! I have been wanting to build one of these chassis for a future project, any chance I could P.M. you and get some key dimensions? That is Scotty Fenn chasis, right?

3. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Wow! one question answered before I even hit send!

5. I'm a flathead newbie; what is the pump like apparatus in place of the generator?

6. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

That is the hilborn fuel pump.

Here is a better photo of the Injection:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. Hope to see you at Eagle. I will be there with or without the 304 depends on if I can get off my fat ass or not but we are trying.

8. PVTA Jay

PVTA Jay

Good lookin' car there gang. I think I can remember seeing it at Pomona in the early '60s along with another flattie powered car called 'Flat Busted'. I was working front chutes at that time and used to see all the rails and other pushstart cars as they came flyin' down along the fenceline.

9. pumpman

pumpman

Everyone has an opinion, mine, IT IS FREAKING BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Now go and enjoy it. Great job guys!

10. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Very cool:)

Taildragger&fenderless

11. 1968FED

1968FED
    from Goddard KS

It was cool that Bob McKray helped you on the injection he is an old flathead dragster racer and one heck of a nice guy. He is helping me get a new engine together for my Jr. Fuel car.

12. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Yeah my dad use to race with him with the UFRA. Hell of a nice guy! He had a beautiful flathead fed back in the day.

1oldtimer likes this.
  13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Nice going there, young man...looking good, as usual....

14. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I still owe you some seat time, don't think I forgot. Are you going to be at the Motorama?

15. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks for reminding us of Mickey Brown, great driver, Brown, Frank, and Harryman, 157 on gas at San Fernando, died in the Scrima and Adams car at Lions after Mort Smith got tired of the poor handling, maybe from the spooled rear end.

Your CR car is outstanding, very well done!!!

16. I have a flashback every time I see a mention or picture of the Antique Doll flathead dragster in this forum. Back probably in '71 or '72 I was in California visiting family friends and former neighbors with my parents. Their name was Corwin and their son was somehow involved with this same car. Only got to see the car in his driveway but not running or going down the track. Don't recall exactly what Mr. Corwin's involvement with the car was, if he drove it, owned some part of it or was a crew member. But did get to go to a Wednesday night run-what-ya-brung session at OCIR. Those were the two highlights of the whole trip for me! :cool:

Don't remember exactly where the car was. But Mr. Corwin's parents lived in the Irvine area I believe and I remember going to dinner at a place called Bob Burns (?) that was in Newport Beach and I believe the car was in that general area. I've been out of touch with the family for years. I recall the car having the Antique Doll name and a Raggedy Ann doll painted on the cowl. Was a little bummed out that I didn't get to see the car run, but at least now I've gotten to hear it at least fired up, some 40 years later. :D

17. aar0s

aar0s
    from So.Il.

yet another flathead newbie, I know its got 8 cylinders but only 6 exhaust ports, Do two cylinders share a port?

18. Exactly right! Go back and look at some of the pics with the heads off the engine. The exhaust valves are slightly smaller than the intakes. The center two cylinders share a common port in the block that runs between the two middle cylinders. :D

19. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

If you look at the engine that I posted earlier that is filled with aluminum it has been 4 ported.

The hole on top of the engine between the intake ports is the new fourth exhaust pipe. You can achieve this by boring into the water jacket.

20. With this kind of a modification do you also somehow split or isolate those two center exhaust ports? Or does it really make that much difference with the short zoomie headers? :confused: :confused: :confused:

21. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

In my misspent youth (1968-70), I was linked up with Ed Houghton out of Simi Valley. We raced against y'all pretty regularly. Maybe at the Winternationals one year, as well? Good to see that the car survived.

22. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Yes inside you weld a wall to split the two ports.

Much difference? Maybe a 10th of a second maybe more. But in drag racing every bit counts.

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Bump one last time tonight

24. aar0s

aar0s
    from So.Il.

Thanks for clearing that up!

25. WCD

WCD

Very nice. I got to see the car once at Lions in 68 or so, and than later in 74 at Irwindale for a UFRA event. Very nice. Too bad some of the other UFRA guys dont rebuild their cars. McCloskey/Jordon are in the NHRA Museum. But there were enough others to support an 8 car show.

26. aircap

aircap

Beyond sweet - well done!

27. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Great car, great story...

28. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Man I keep coming back to this picture, SCREAMS Nostalgia, Love it! Hope you guys make Eagle Field, let me know and 'll save ya a spot with the other Diggers. Rocky
    [​IMG]

29. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

We are going to try are hardest to make it up there!