Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Is an Allard J2X a Hot Rod?? Limeworks thinks so..update 01-11-10

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32gal, Jan 7, 2010.

1. sololobo

sololobo

Oh my god, what a cool deal. The blue Allard example at Pebble Beach is breathtaking! Thanx for the pix. Best of luck to Lime Works ~sololobo~

2. Mart

Mart

Looks fantastic, Steve.

Mart.

3. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Cheers Mart , It goes well too :)

4. froghawk

froghawk

What an outstanding restoration! When I first saw the pix from the open house I thought maybe the red body and dark green wheels would look too "Christmas-y," but seeing that outdoor shot's made me a believer. Love it!

Thanks for sharing your work!

5. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Thanks for the comments, the Green 16" XK140 wheels are mine, were waiting on 6 Chrome Wires from Dayton , they don't fit so went back for fixing.This was a long distance racer, 2 spares & huge gas tank with 2 fillers.

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran across this picture this morning! Had to post. Sorry for how large it is, but the details kind of get washed out, otherwise.

Amazing cars!

[​IMG]

7. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Cool illustration....the only thing wrong with it...... is the driver isn't smiling............;)

8. Quote:
    Originally Posted by jerry thurston
    Please send Bill Pollack my best, I have never met him but a copy of his book ordered the minute I heard of it. When it arrived I was surprised and thrilled to find that it was signed too. It's essential reading for all Allard owners and enthusiasts.

Yesterday, I sat down at a barbecue event with Bill Pollack and his daughter. We talked of many things. Then the conversation turned to racing the Allard. I told him what you said, Jerry; and, as expected, he was pleased. I asked if he would have driven the Allard if he "knew then, what he knows know". With a glance at his daughter, he turned to me with a wry grin and said: "Absolutely not!"

Bill Pollack, just turned 86 years old, started road racing in the early "Fifties". He has written a book: "Red Wheels and White Sidewalls" I've included an excerpt from the monthly newsletter of our group, "The Fabulous Fifties". The group is just a bunch of folks that ran fast cars, "back in the day". When we get together, I often say, "The first liar doesn't have a chance".

THREE SECONDS IN MONTEREY
    By Bill Pollack
    In everyones life there are moments that are forever engraved in the frontal lobes of the brain. This is especially true of men and women who race cars, fly airplanes and scuba dive in places where there are large predators. These are moments, usually just a few seconds that kick start our pituitary and our
    entire nervous system including whatever it is that makes our hair stand on end. There was a Tiger shark off the reef in Kona that taught me how to walk on water, if only briefly. There was rolling the twin engine training plane upside down at eight thousand feet and diving close to vertical and losing a piece of the canopy when I pulled out. There were others which I am ashamed to admit. That’s another story. Pebble Beach in the 50’s was an incredible
    road course, located on part of the famous seventeen mile drive in an area known as Del Monte Properties. The course was lined with massive soft pine trees. Only the first quarter inch was soft. The start and finish straight had a slight bend in it just past the pit area. I was driving the Carstens black J2 Allard #14. We were all excited, waiting for qualifying. Waiting for a race to start or festivities to end is one of the hardest parts of racing. When my turn finally came, I was ready. I laid down about ten feet of rubber as I headed for the ninety degree right that was at the end of the start and finish straight. A short burst of speed and another tight right onto the back stretch. This piece of road was a narrow two-lane crown topped path that undulated through the forest. The Allard was very fast on this type of road and I knew that I had a really good time. As I broke out of the trees onto a short straight
    before a sweeping left, a Morgan was sauntering up the middle of the road. I had to brake sharply coming almost to a stop. I knew then that my time was totally messed up. Back in the pits, Tom Carstens was on the
    verge of a stroke. The officials admitted that they were at fault in not clearing the course but they would not let me out for a retrial until the end of qualifying. By four in the afternoon, we were finally told we could saddle up. Mist from the ocean was rolling in when I finally got the green flag. I roared off the line and drove like a runaway horse with the bit in its’ teeth. Making the turn for the finish line and the flying start, I put my foot on the floor and held it there for the green flag. The slight bend now looked like an impossible curve. I was going much too fast. The car felt like it was on ice. Slight changes in the steering didn’t seem to have any effect. I could feel each and every
    hair on my body raise up as it was crammed with adrenalin and nervous energy. I came out of the bend sort of straight and realized that the first turn was out of the question. I spun the car at the intersection and just sat
    there facing back the way I came. A friend, John Edgar came out from behind a tree and asked me if I was OK. So, maybe it was a little longer than three seconds. Now you understand why Monterey is a special place for me. If you would like to know why, meet me at the Inn for the Fabulous Fifties party!

Jet96 likes this.
  9. Iron Crank

Iron Crank

Hey, 73roundlight, thanks for those pics. Always loved those cars!!

10. cruzr

cruzr

I visited the Allard tpday with the purpose of actually taking a ride. Its been a long road and Limeworks has done a fantastic job of bringing the car back to life. Steve pulled the beast out and i climbed aboard.The caddy engine roared to life and we were off ,cruising the streets of Whittier. Heads swiveled aplenty as we went by. The" old gal" rides suprisingly smooth and the power is felt as Steve put her through the gears. I couldnt help but grin from ear to ear. Heres some pics i took on the ride..............

Attached Files:

Jet96 likes this.
  11. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Great shots Randy even with my ugly mug !! She's a handsome beast & very well behaved for a 6 carb Cadillac running at 175 degrees & no load up when cruising.It's thanks to Randy we got the job so being able to take him for a cruise was a pleasure , we both got bugs in our teeth !
    Here are some of my pix.

Attached Files:

12. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

What all did you do to the motor? Anything radical have to be done to run 6 carbs?

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing job on an equally amazing car-

14. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Hi Gary, the motor was hopped up, head work , larger valves, custom cam , custom higher compression pistons, adjustable lifters custom headers & balanced, I've yet to get it into the 6 carbs, it runs so well & pulls strong with the 2 main center carbs. With the Lincoln Zephyr trans & Ford Banjo diff I don't want to give her too many beans ;) .

15. There's bugs in California?

Hey Steve... I visited "Lime Works" shortly after you opened your shop and knew that your shop would be putting out stunning cars!

Great work fellas...!

16. cruzr

cruzr

By the way , its the first time being seen with the chrome spoke wheels

17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Great job on the car Steve. Keep up the great work!!!!!

18. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I WANT THAT MOTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::D

OH FORGOT---Can't afford it Ha Ha

19. Microcar1

Microcar1
    from NY

How could this not be a hotrod?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414375055.834769.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414375069.618303.jpg