Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's your opinion of this custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SulphuriousSam, Sep 12, 2011.

1. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

The car looks great to me - the only thing I would change would be the garage it sits in to mine and the title too.

2. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

This car was done in the 70's or 80's. This is what a custom of that period looked like. By all standards this one has less items attached to it than most. Less is more is a recent concept. Past decade or so. For a 70's 80's build this car is fantastic.

This was built during the rejuvenation period. A classic 70's...early to mid 80's custom.

It is totally different from Hombres Ruin's car, and it should be, 30 years should elicit some sort of change. Some would say we progressed, some that our tastes just changed.

I love it for what it is. A true time capsule of the rejuvenation period. A classic in it's own right for it's form. It's perfect.

3. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Well the whole point in customizing a car is to make the car your own, so my opinion on the car dosent matter one bit, the only opinion that matters on any car is the builders, with that being said the car is perfect. Jim

4. drj70

drj70

I like it gust like that

5. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Very nice ride. Couple of small changes and it would be perfect in my opinion.

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I HATE RED! Other then that, pretty cool if overstated.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

He probably built it for himself..:rolleyes:

8. 117harv

117harv

Reading some of the replies, i have come to a conclusion, i must not have a clue what is accepted as far as customs:confused: I will agree with the less is more concept but sometimes less is too little, there is nothing to look at. I see the necker knob...there's one for ya...and the dice seem to be a big concern, really, 5 minutes and they are gone. I do think it would look better with the flames gone and abit less striping, or maybe another color mixed in. I really dislike the hanging club sign, i have never seen one on a ride that looks good, toppers are cool though.

Bad Bob hit on the rear over riders and the grille lights, i don't see a problem with them...,again i must not know what is and isn't accepted style wise. As far as the taillights, there have been hundreds of transplants through the years, some great, some good, and some well, not so good. The tailights are very builder subjective, everyone has a different idea which look good, all JMO:cool:

As i said earlier overall it is a cool ride, i would make a couple small changes but would proud to own/drive it:)

9. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I wonder how the builder's widow would feel if she stumbled onto this thread...

10. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

Looks pretty nice!

11. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

12. Taillights look to me like 2 pair of '56 Buick lenses set top to bottom.

Car doesn't look bad, but the grille could stand a V or something to match the grille opening better. No comment on the stripes or interior stuff.

13. Tom C

Tom C

It's was his, now her car so if she's happy with it that's all that matters. We all have things we like and don't like about it which is good, we don't see everyone with the same car. It's a nice car looks like they took care of it and probably enjoyed.

With that being said I don't like the paint. I don't like red. Could use less striping. Don't really like lake pipes. I would take the bumper guards off. And get rid of the blue dots. Change up the interior. I do one more like the red one next to it just another color. But that's if I had a Merc to do.

14. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Its a great car. I think one solid color on the outside, maybe a darker red.. lose the lake pipes, headlight shields, etc.. add sombrero caps, and de-clutter the interior and this car would be the bee's knees. At least he kept the original interior instead of building a god awful dash w/ console, digital guages, bucket seats and what not...

Bottom line, this car is a really kool kustom that hasnt been changed in any way that wouldnt take the next owner too much effort to change. I hope someday it goes to a person who has the right vision and can make a really classy kustom out of it, but in the mean time, this lady loves it, and thats all that matters.

15. firingorder1

firingorder1

Whats not to like about that car? Pinstriping is period perfect. In fact everything is period perfect. The only thing I would change on it is the car club plaque.

16. Dblbeard

Dblbeard

I really like the car myself, I've had a few on here comment about how they don't like this and that on my car, but I don't really care.
    Just like the guy that built this one, I'm sure he didn't ask or even cared about what everyone thought either.
    He really personalized his car the way that the builder of mine personalized it, it may hurt the selling value if you put them on the market, but hopefully mine won't ever leave Greenwood, South Carolina either.

Personalizing is the whole game here isn't it, just so each of us likes what we have is all that matters. "Right?"

I'm going to change a few things on my 49 just to make it a little more mine, I might even go with a solid black with the chrome bumpers in the future. Whatever I do I will do it for me, not for what someone else will think of it.

Just my thoughts.....

17. Take most of the gingerbread off and it's a nice custom. A little de-doodading, if you will.

18. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

The chop looks good, stance is good. Tail lights and skirts dont do it for me. Also looks like the guy owned it too long and went a little overboard with doo dads and striping.

19. U-235

U-235

Well,there's more I "LIKE" than don't like!
    Good;
    The chop and body looks pretty nice...
    Stance looks good...
    Real Spots...

Bad;(IMO)
    Overstriped
    Hubcaps
    License plate overiders don't look right...
    Dash dice...
    Mustang Floor shifter...
    Blue dots ruin the taillights...
    lights in the grill...
    Hood looks flamed,but the skirts looked scalloped,no balance...
    Not a fan of Bubble skirts,prefer '51 skirts...

I just think it's TOO busy! I bet if it was all one color,it would present much better

I'd said all the same things "Bad Bob" said exceot I'm afraid to get deleted again.....
    I got deleted for asking if a particular car that was sitting on the ground was broke...
    The administrator said he deleted me for causing "drama"....?

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Relax man, its a flathead, a damn nice flathead at that!!:D:cool:

Doc.

21. I was thinking the exact same thing. Looks killer from the front, might change the pipes too. I sure wouldn't complain if it was in my garage.

22. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Lol the tail lights remind me of the little bannana dude from the peanut butter jelly time song thing. With the blue dots being his eyes lmao. I may be in my own world here but it made me laugh atleast.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

23. The car is Ok but I'm not a fan of these Disecting threads.

25. fat141

fat141

Because it was built when it was:)
    May not look 50's or current, but you can bet your arse it was killer in ITS day:cool:
    Rod
    Bet he is lookin' down, really proud of his wife for taking it out

26. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I understand the "little too busy" comments on here, but at the same time I'm very much in agreement with what 117harv posted;

"Reading some of the replies, i have come to a conclusion, i must not have a clue what is accepted as far as customs:confused: I will agree with the less is more concept but sometimes less is too little, there is nothing to look at"

maybe it's something to do with early customs compared to late 50s/early 60s stuff, the latter of which I am more of a fan. Great car with a few things I could live without.
    Paul

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  27. Danno I

Danno I

All it's missing is some pinstriping...maybe on the hood. Inside and out. NOT!!!

As a pinstripe artist it offends me when I see this. Pinstriping is meant to be a subtle accent (I mean S U B T L E) . Not an outlining tool. But yet again, another classic ride gets turned into a carnie wagon.

28. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

In my own defense I started this thread not for anybody to critisize the car but to give me their opinions about it in order to give me some ideas of what is a HAMB style custom. I love the car regardless if the things that are not to my own taste. Thanks for your comments!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  29. Richard P

Richard P

This car was seen cruising Central Ave. in Phoenix AZ. in the mid eighties! The owner was into the Fifties and knew how to enjoy his ride. The car was signed by Wolfman Jack and drew a crowd whenever it hit the street. The owner drove it everywhere and to my knowledge kept it off the trailer. He also had a kool trailer he towed to shows and was a true kustom car lover. I dig the car and am amazed at how well it has stood the test of time. Yes the car is a true Wander! This is what the hobby is all about.

30. I agree with Kevin Lee....I am not going to pick apart her late husbands ride.

I think he did a great job on everything. If he made some nasty rat looking thing, I wouldnt feel right telling the truth out of respect for the deceased.