Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's your opinion of this custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SulphuriousSam, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

Looks like a nice custom to me. I go along with most of the replys about the ad-ons. Too much striping,the name and the dice need to go. Some times we forget the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) method of building.

2. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

You make a great point and I didn't think of that before posting.

Mainly I was trying to get a few ideas out of all the more knowledgable folks here to help me wrap my mind around customs/kustoms. I believe the lady knows from my comments how much I enjoyed her car and even though it's all not to my own taste I actually liked alot about it, more than not for sure.

3. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Overall a very nice car with great looking mods. Great stance. I am a pinstriper and I too, feel there's overkill in the striping department. The bright red is a bit much as is the overabundance of dice inside. But, it was the owner's dream car, be built it to suit himself. As long as he was happy with it and the wife loved to ride in it, that's all that matters. I sure wouldnt pass it up.

4. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is what I had in my file, I'll call Ross tonight and find out what happen to her husband.
    My favorite kustom treatment is the tailights hadn't seen this done before. Very kool!!

[​IMG]

Happy Trails, Mick

5. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

Hey Mick, thanks for posting up more pics! She must have changed out the hubcaps since you took those pics. I like the old ones better. Which isn't to say I wouldn't hang the new ones in my garage. Well, until the wife complained long enough anyway.

6. jipp

jipp

i like it. the dice not so much.. but that couple be removed with out effecting the rest of the car.. it is interesting to take this build in context of the time period it was built.. he def was a rebel at the time.. he was not building what others where thats for damn sure.

now the pinstripes to me are busy and probably could of done with less. but i think the problem is there is no real contrast between the lines so they sorta just look jumble together.. my guess if they would of kept it simple black, white, and some other color.. it would not look as busy. but to drive it, id remove the dice.. change the suicide shift nob on the steering wheel to a bake lite one.. i dis like the plastic suicide knobs they feel so cheap.. shrugs, iv been looking for a old suicide knob and have not found one yet.. also.. i would go with a long shifter so the shift knob would be seen from the windshield.. and get a norm shift knob made for it, if i could afford this kustom i could afford one of norms kick ass crazy shift knobs
    thanks for sharing, iv seen this car show up in other pictures and the owner goes to a lot of shows.. she must enjoy it, now you said she bought it for her husband yet the car and her are still going to the shows, i think she used that as a excuse and bought it for her self.. she has a crush on james dean. :D
    chris.

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

8. jipp

jipp

9. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Taillight lenses look like '56 Buick to me.

As to the rest, I agree with keeping it simple - the first items I'd deep-six would be the headlight lens trims and the spotlights (sacrilege to many, I know, but I never cared for them - big chrome blobs that detract from a car's lines). Grille treatment is sharp but should be veed out to align with the point of the hood. The '49 Chevy license guard looks stuck on; it's too short for the fluted area of the bumper. The rest looks good - I especially like the taillight treatment.

10. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Essentially a nice car, but the builder didn't know when to quit... There is nothing wrong with it that couldn't easily be corrected.

11. choptup 49

choptup 49
    from so-cal

I think the car looks good! And with its own personal touches. Sure beats seeing 20 primer, plastic 32 Ford wanna-be's!

12. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

He obviously built it for him and his wife still loves it so as far as I'm concerned it's frickin great.

13. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

I like dice..........:p and just a little pin striping..........

My Vette is going to get pinstriping, just a little, hood and trunk lid, car is black and striping will be charcoal and burgundy, you will need to get close to see it...............:cool:

Lot's of cars had names on trunk lid or frenders in the 50's.....

14. Nice car! But too much crap for my taste. That's just me.

15. I've seen this car before. It's had a lot done on it over the years, and really is a neat ride up close. I agree about the excessive (and wrong colors) pinstriping and the over-the-top dice, but other than those two easily-changed items, it's a nice car. I'd love to own it.

I'm happy the wife is enjoying the car...a lot of wives out there are not very involved or particularly care about the cars, and don't enjoy them. She obviously does enjoy it, and that is all that matters in the end. Our opinions are just that - opinions.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  16. I like it and take pictures of it every time I see it. If'n it were mine, it'd be parked right out front of the office today....especially since my merc ain't runnin'. :)

17. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

I notice there's some folks replying from the oklahoma area. Any good car clubs? I looked (read googled) and found not many that fit the HAMB bill so to speak...there's a club in Ada but it's some weird tuner crap with the lights under your car thing going on....*sigh*

18. Gator

Gator

Too much going on -

I absolutely HATE cutesy names and sayings on cars. Big wopper, Boop poopadoopp, etc. Ought to say 'rebel without a clue'.

You know Kevin, I have a theory that's where 'crybaby dolls' and the like come from, people have a finished ride but feel the need to 'do something' to their car.

Anyways, just my opinion but ya asked. Clean it up a bit, swap the naked trucker girl caps for some sombreros and yer cooking.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  19. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

well it,s not my style but looking great

20. jipp

jipp

the hub caps have been changed if you look in the last pictures posted.
    chris.

21. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

22. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

No the last pictures posted were taken by someone else at an earlier event. The nekked chick hubs were there this weekend. There was another merc using them this weekend too...must be an epedemic!

23. Special Ed

Special Ed

24. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Didn't seem to be the mantra of the time period. I've see lots of equally over striped cars from the late 70's through the late 80's in old photos.
    It's a good looking kemp, and obviously what the owner wanted to build (or had built).
    I've seen some horrible mercs...this ain't one.

25. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A naked Lady epidemic? I can live with that :)

26. I'd love to find just one NOS naked chick, let alone a full set of 4! :D

27. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

LOL good answer!

28. Cub8556

Cub8556

I feel like less is more, but if this is what the owner likes then so be it. Cool car.

29. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I kind of like the car but it is much too *busy*......wayyyy over the top on trying to include EVERY '50's Kustom touch........

I am surprised that no one mentioned the SCTA club plaque hanging down below the bumper in one of the first pics.......that is TOTALLY wrong......this NOT a dry lakes car, never was, and likely never will be........if she was going to hang a club plaque from it, at least get one that's more germane.....

CB

30. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Over the top dice accessories and loud pinstripes add to the cheesy look. Why people go This route is beyond me. A clean well built custom with subtle mods and less cheese is the key