Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ds112

ds112
    from florida

wayne storey photo.jpg

I thought this picture of Bob McCreadie was cool its from 1975 photo by Wayne Storey

2. ds112

ds112
    from florida

What kind of body do you guys think it is ? looks like a cuda' to me

3. ds112

ds112
    from florida

neil center.jpg
    Neil Truesdell center lancaster N.Y

4. ds112

ds112
    from florida

Sorry not Lancaster

5. ds112

ds112
    from florida

Ivan+Little+72+(Small).jpg
    I used to wait to see Ivan Littles coupe go by my house on Friday nights on his way to Ransomville speedway.

6. allstarracing

allstarracing

I have always been a hugh fan of the modifieds and followed them in the racing papers like Speed Sport News but live in the midwest so am not familiar with a lot of the faces. I know all of the famous cars ect but not the ones of the locals so I would like to ask the posters to put the post numbers on your quotes about specific cars, drivers and tracks that you are refering to so I can go back and see who and where you are talking about. To me all of the cars, drivers and tracks are important and interesting and I don't want to miss out on the history. Thanks Allstarracing

7. michaelpa

michaelpa
    from kansas

8. Hey welcome aboard Michael some great shots, keep em coming! My season almost over and I'll be back with photos again! page 600 real soon!:)

9. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Originally Posted by Denny Zimmerman View Post
    I don't think that's FATS Caroso. Denny Z

allstarracing, First sorry, I thought because my post followed post # 11063 everyone would know what I was referring to...shame on me.
    Second, I agree some posts and all pictures should have info or text to identify them. Lots of times I wonder who or where was that..:) Denny Z

10. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I sure made a mess of that post.....guess I need training on how to make dual quotes, anyway I agree pictures need text. Denny Z

11. Denny, It sure look`s like Fats in his latter days. That car sure say rubbing is raceing

12. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

richie70, You could be right, I knew him in the early days only, by the time that kind of body came along I was long gone. Denny Z

13. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Great photo of Teddy Wesnofske at Islip Speedway

14. ejayg

ejayg

You said it Bones. Angie was a colorful driver. Anybody out there have any shots of the L&M or its sister car the M of Seabury Tripler? Please post them if you got them.

15. Frasson118

Frasson118

That picture of Bob McCreadie, post #11068, is the car that gave him the nickname "Barefoot".

The story, as I've heard it, goes that while building this car over the winter (to be as narrow as possible), Bob would be wearing his sneakers while fitting in the cockpit. He didn't realize at the time that with his boots on, his feet didn't fit the footbox. One of the crewmen joked that he just needed to drive it "barefoot".

16. Denny We were all proud of you as you progress in the sport of auto raceing. I myself move around helping Lou Toro. Tommy Sutcliff and Sal Dee. Never had the chance to get in the big time. But raceing was good to me in the things I learned and the people I met.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  17. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Car owner, Vern Fecteau, 3rd from the left, and car builder, Dick Mangus, second from the right.....

Picture taken at Oswego Speedway.

18. 00paperboy

00paperboy

Anybody know the reason I don't see any pictures on the posts from michaelpa? Nothing there but a blank space. Apparently, others can see them, because several comments have been made. All the other pictures/posts are fine. :confused::confused:

19. Rentawrench

Rentawrench

Wow me too lol Thought I was on "hide " list . Go to his profile an all the pics are in his album.

MichaelPa, Great pics, I remember them All . lol

20. JBull

JBull
    from NY

some more of the Rapid Roman....

Richie Evans at speed....

[​IMG]

Evans #61 and Geoff Bodine #99

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a cartoon by Bruce Roll

[​IMG]

Evans in a spin at Martinsville...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Evans with Dave Shullick at Oswego...

[​IMG]

on the trailer and a little worse from wear...

[​IMG]

21. yank28

yank28
    from monson,ma

ejayg Go to page 291 post #5801 there is a M car there, I don't
    if that is the one you are looking for, or not.

22. JBull

JBull
    from NY

and some more...

Evans and Bodine in a contemplative moment...

[​IMG]

Richie Evans #61 at Islip besting the #396 of Gary Cretty in the 100 lapper...Brian Cholerton photo...the story below notes a lack of seats at the track...the days of standing room only

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some hardware on the hood...the hood also says by Sonny Seamon...did Sonny build this car?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Richie Evans in the Billy Corazzo #12 at Albany Saratoga....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

from the GTP collection at Stafford...

[​IMG]

23. JBull

JBull
    from NY

and some more of the Rapid Roman!

looking through the fence at Islip....the All Star 300...Richie Evans #61 alongside Moose Hewitt #23...

[​IMG]

Is this at Daytona? Richie with some added sheetmetal on the front and a rear spoiler...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on the starting grid at Trenton?

[​IMG]

on the road course at Daytona battling Paul Radford in the #26 Gremlin...I wonder if this car was special built...the shape of this pinto looks different than the other ones Richie drove and the numeral #61 is painted much larger on this car...

[​IMG]

same car as up above....

[​IMG]

At lancaster for the Genessee 200 with Tom Druar #37, Mark Newton #55 and Dean Hoag #7...

[​IMG]

a primer #61 at Martinsville...

[​IMG]

again

[​IMG]

Richie Evans #61 battling Maynard Troyer #6 and Jim Rudolph #72 at Spencer Speedway...

[​IMG]

24. Here are some pics of LOU Toro

Attached Files:

25. RomanFan

RomanFan
    from Verona N.Y

Yes Sonney Seamon built Richies Pintos until 1974 or 75 then Richie sarted building his own.

26. Zoera

Zoera

I remember meeting Lou at his Fair Haven home with the #7 Gremlin in his garage. I went there to buy some parts for my first modified...1976 I think. Very cool guy.

27. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

April 1977 Penn National Speedway Grantville, Pa. these are pictures from my dad's archives. enjoy! :D

Attached Files:

28. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Thanks Roman Fan. Didn't realize that.

JBull

29. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

So cool!!!! I remember this from my childhood from Stock Car Racing Magazing, Thanks

[​IMG]

30. Moselli

Moselli

This was the period when Sonney Seamon was building independent front end chassis' with 1957-1960 Chrysler torsion bar front clips mated to an International Scout frame. Stock ball joints upper and lower. He would also sometimes use a stock Ford steering box with a long steering sector shaft. This front end could take some hard hits and not be effected with any damage. Some of the Koni coil-over cars at that time were a bit fragile and while they handled well, it was game over if they rubbed wheels with another car.

Sonney would use the upper "A" frames from a Lincoln Continential because they were strong, open in the center for the shock absorbers and most of all they were plentiful and cheap. I believe Sonney had less money in his cars than almost anyone I ever met!! He probably also had the largest percentage of junk yard parts in his cars. The word "Innovative," in the Dictionary should have a footnote: "See also - Sonney Seamon."

Another example of how Sonney saved a buck. In his own cars, he would use a stock production steering wheel, split a piece of heater hose (probably used), wrap it around the wheel, use a roll of black electrical tape to finish wrapping it. This was a trick he showed us to give a better grip and feel for driving the car. My lawn tractor has this "Sonney" feature.

Sonney was truly one of the greatest guys you could meet in racing. He would help anyone, share information and just enjoyed racing to the fullest.

Regards,

Moselli

"I've already told you more than I actually know."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.