Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best comment ever at a show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym_46, Sep 12, 2011.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I attended a local show yeaterday, not having pre registered I was parked i the overflow with a lot of muscle and poney cars. I saw a father and son walking the row and it seemed Dad has a penchant for Mustangs as he was fussing over a couple of nice early ones.

The son about 7 or years old came down the row and stood open mouthed in front of my 46.

Then he yelled out Hey Dad, Dad, DAAD, finally getting his father's attention he pointed at the car and said "This is it, this is what I want, this is right down my alley!!! I love these fat fender cars."

Well I spoke to that young fellow for about 15 minutes, he asked a lot of smart questions, he lite up like a lightbulb when I opened the door and told him he could get in. He sat there behind the big steerig wheel with a big grin on his face for about 5 minutes. Looked at his dad and said those Mustangs are nice but can we go find some more of these to look at??? Father said yes, and after he thanked me he said again "Right down my alley, gonna have one some day!"

Hope he does, hope dad gets his mustang also, but I gotta feeling the kid is going to get his way.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's so cool.

3. 117harv

117harv

There is a young mind with a deeply etched memory thanks to you. You may have changed more than his car preferance, maybe his life, a future car builder, collector, designer, business owner?...you did good:)

4. Scarred for life! Poor kid will never be the same. He's become one of us now. Excellent work!

5. I'm sure that feel good! You might just have saved this kid from beeing sucked into the bottomless abyss also called PS3 and the internet!

Klaus

6. jipp

jipp

what a cool story. im impressed at the young man.. very cool.. i agree you planted a seed that will never leave now and only grow.. very cool.
    chris.

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Great story. Good on you for furthering the cause, dude. :)

Every show that I bring my old heap to, I let kids get in it. Their parents are always shocked that I would allow them to do this. Doesn't surprise me with all the "look but don't touch" signs plastered on every other vehicle. I hope that the memory lasts with them long enough til they are able to get into this great hobby themselves.

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Thats neat"!!-----Reminds my of my son 40 years ago!!!

10. Cool, nice job.

I was at a gas station in my Model A one day and a 4X4 truck pulls up. The guy says his son saw my car and wanted to pull in and have a look at it.

My reply was "Thanks, You think he might want to sit in it?" as the guy turned to ask his son, I heard the passenger door slam and this kid comes scrambling arount the front of the truck looking at me with a big grin.

It's a good feeling.

11. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Always let a kid sit in your ride if he asks and is respectful. We are going to need the next generation of "hoodlums" to sell our junk to when we ship off to the nursing homes!

12. lukey

lukey

I couldnt tell you how many kids have sat in my 58, and when i take the kids and thier parents for a quick joy ride around the fairgrounds its just amazing. I pick my kids up from school in my 58 and i always end uo giving a bunch of kids rided home in it. Its just as much fun for me as it is for them.

13. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

My son (3) and I have been hitting a few local car shows and it's guys like you that we run into that make our day. Very cool!

14. jrose7004

jrose7004

15. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

The best comment I ever heard at a show was a show & shine done at a Nursing Home. One of the Residents came out, was an old lady in pushing a walker. She went right up to a guy in a '56 Chevy parked next to my Ranchero, the conversation went like this:

Old Lady:"Is that a '56 Chevy?"
    Car guy: "it sure is."
    Old lady:"My goodness. I used to own one of those. It was Green & white. Worst car I ever owned."
    Car guy: "........"

16. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Keyword RESPECTFUL..... Some of these kids today (and there parents too) I would like to let sit in my car .... Then slam the door on there leg - Mayor

17. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

WOW.

That usually means they are speechless.

Or a smile, which does mean they are speechless.

B

18. BillyG

BillyG

I agree, you did a really nice thing. Can't help wonder where the young man heard the term "Fat Fender"? Gotta give something to the Dad too! Or maybe there's a Grand Dad in the boys life. Either way cool story.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for taking time with the young one. I always let the kids hop in and I answer questions. They truly are the future.

20. Labold

Labold

Hell, I'd like to sit in it too!

21. Danno I

Danno I

super story, and so great of you to take the time and to allow the young fella into your ride. I'll bet he'll be talkin about that day for many a years to come.

22. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

My wife's 89 year old Gramma came over to the house a while back and saw my '51 project in the drive way. She said "Is that a '51?", I said "Yup". She said "We had one of these in '52. It was a piece of #%*king sh^t."

How do you react to that?

23. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

didn't see this happen but heard about it from a friend. An older lady stick's her head into a 1964 impala and says smells like a 64.

24. fedsrule

fedsrule

we ask kids all the time if they want to sit in the dragster. We have an old open face helmet and goggles for them to wear. Then we ask the kid if he wants to do a wheelie and I'll lift the front end up. That always gets a huge smile.

25. An old hotrodder walked by my roadster with a big smile on his face and said " we had a lot of fun with cars like that".

26. grazy

grazy

I was at Mid-ohio sports car course last year my son & I were looking at a row of sports cars when in rolled a georgeous can-am car it was loud made everything shake it pulled up reved twice & shut down.The owner of the car and I watched a young boy sitting in a stroller the whole time wide eyed watching the noisey beast holding his ears. I was worried he would start crying.Much to our surprise when the car shut down we saw the boy stand up in the stoller put his hands up and began clapping up above his head . I looked at the car owner and said "that boy is scarred for life now" .He smiled & said "we can only hope so".

27. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I was at the Rocky Mt nats and a kid and his grandpa asked if he could take a picture in front of my car.I said you can sit in the drivers seat ,put your elbow out the window with your other hand on the wheel and pretend you are driving. When you go back to school you can show your buddies what you did this summer.Man that kid was so excited he had a hard time wiping the smile off his face to look cool for the picture.I took several pictures with his camera and both of them also. His grandpa returned later and thanked me.He said the boy thought his visit from Arizona at grandpas was going to be boring and thanked me again. I said no problem,it was my pleasure.

28. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Great stuff guys. Good point by Cool Breeze about being nice to kids cuz they're the ones that are hopefully gonna buy are old junk !!!! If we don't it'll all be worthless

29. Mike

Mike

Another youth corrupted and ruined!

Good on ya!

30. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Awesome!

As a parent to a young boy myself, thanks for taking the time to make his day like that.