Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats your opinion of flamethrowers on a hot rod...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StuntmanJames, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StuntmanJames

StuntmanJames
    from Denton Tx

I know they can be cheesy but ever since i saw flames shoot out the rear of that '55 in Sometimes They Come Back Ive kinda wanted some on mine... too showy or impractical or what? It just be for fun of course! :)

2. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

My 56 had em when I bought it. I have never even tried to use em. I guess it would be cool but honestlly I think its cooler on other people's cars! They kinda seem like a problem waiting to happen!

3. Tom C

Tom C

I think they're to showy. Seems like someone who needs attention. Just my opnion. I agree with mastergun I'd rather watch someone else do it

4. StuntmanJames

StuntmanJames
    from Denton Tx

I guess it makes sense for a car from hell to shoot flames... id like to think my Desoto is from hell sometimes tho... with that grill and black paint! ;)

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OOOHHH look at me I can shoot flames out my rear.

6. Heo2

Heo2

verry "cool" i gues if you are about 7 years old

7. Scumdog

Scumdog

Can ya?
    Can ya really?:D

8. BLAKE

BLAKE

Like most things, they were kinda cool until they were over-done.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Just build the car for its own attention, if you need that gimic for people to look at it, than you've missed the point

10. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My personal opinion is i don't like them at all. I have seen some beautiful cars with them on them though.

11. How far do they date back? I think they're pretty traditional but more of a liability than anything. Explain to your insurance company how someone got their legs scorched with something that you bolted onto your car!

Bob

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Put them on your daily driver...don't ruin the look and personality of a traditional hotrod. Assuming it is a traditional hotrod. That may be a big assumption.

13. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

Don't ignite them here in Bastrop county!

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't want them on my car. So I don't have them. It sounds like you would like to have them on your car. So go for it. This is supposed to be fun. And that's fun for you, hurts no one else. Perfect.

15. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I like flames on hot rods....the kind that are painted on. Flamethrowers? No. I don't understand their purpose at all.

16. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Personally, I don't care for them. It's just something that doesn't trip my trigger. At the cruise-ins and shows I go to I like the burn-out contests better. However, it's your ride.

17. Can't it harm your engine as well due to extreme lean conditions? Thought I read somewhere that if you use them wrong, bad stuff happens.

18. RAY With

RAY With

had then in the early 50,s and they worked good but I never saw any one injured or a fire start from them and back then it was Traditional for those who could make them.

19. 1931av8

1931av8

Actually, you are doing everything you can to create an over rich condition. These need the choke engaged to operate unless you are supplementing with gas injection somewhere outside the engine. Seems to me the only real risk is washing your cylinder walls.

I have a '55 stag magazine that pictures flame throwers in action. Also has a pic of Barbara Walters modeling beside a sports car. I guess both are now traditional!

20. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

That's the truth!

21. 1964racecar

1964racecar

A friend of mine has this truck that has been in Car and driver, and other mags. He took me to see it the other day. Nice truck. It would shoot flames 100 feet. I will get more info from him.

Attached Files:

22. LynchMOB

LynchMOB

Not mine... well the picture is.

[​IMG]

23. beast460

beast460

not for me. but if you like them go for it. it's your ride.

24. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

They are lame, if really my opinion.

25. Not for my A, but fun to watch on the right car, at the right time!

26. tarpley1

tarpley1

its your ride, do what you want, never ask the iterweb forums about what you want on your car:confused:... if they don't like it screw em'.

i don't want them on my truck, but i do like seeing them on other peoples stuff!

we all know about "opinions".

27. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I can understand the appeal of shooting out little blue flames like a jet engine from a standard exhaust if that's at all possible (I think I've seen it but it might only be in my feeble mind) but bolting on ugly assed big bore or fish tail or megaphone style gizmos like the photo above to make it look like your car is on fire? I'll pass.
    Paul

28. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

I like 'em , and to answer a question on harming the engine , there is a way to bypass the "cutting the ignition off , and igniting the gas , then turning it back on" thing , I used the small propane cylinders (like the ones on the bottom of gas lanterns), took the pieces out of an old gas grill to mount the cylinder to , and I used a battery operated ignition button I removed from my old gas grill , one AA battery , a cutoff valve , and a pair of bottles about half the size of a 2 litre pop bottle screwed into the rear corners of the trunk of my car , you can take the cylinder off when traveling , just screw them off , and take the AA battery out when not in use , and no harm whatsoever to the engine , just fire the ol' gal up , turn on the propane , hit the button , rev the car , and voila!!!! flamethrowers!!!!

29. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About as cool a neon lights under your car.

Doc.

30. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Exactly, pencil tips on a lowrider with some flames cool. Giant two foot pipes with 10 foot flames...pure cheez.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.