Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 79shovelhead, Sep 11, 2011.

1. 79shovelhead

79shovelhead

ok heres the problam........i have a absolutely perfect 32 stock frame so nice that i hate to cut it up......but i wanna run a t5 trans because everyone that runs them loves them.....so i was gonna run a quick change but hate to have to put a model a cross member in......so need help dont cut frame and run a 39 trans no qc or say screw it and do t5 and qc.....thanks guys

2. -DouG-

-DouG-

Build what you want or you may regret it and end up redoing all the work later.

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

Did you check your Q/C to stock Gas Tank clearance ?,... Don't cut up your "K" member,.. Are you OK with cutting up your floor to get the A cross member in? Oh yeah,.. lets see some pictures

4. Its yours so do what makes you happy or what you prefer. Build your car for you not the dickhead next to you. If money isnt the issue buy a set of repop rails and do all the mods to it. Im sure you wouldnt have a problem finding a home for the original frame if you didnt want to modify it.

5. mr.heavy duty

mr.heavy duty

buy an aftermarket perimeter frame..then it wont bother you near as much,,

6. reefer

reefer

I had the same dilemma...I made the wrong choice and cut the K member..It hurt me the moment I finished it...I wish one of the big players would come up with a five speed box that coupled up to a Flatty and retained the torquetube....like they came up with the QC rears for the Ford back axles....they would make a fortune, them old 3(2) speeds are a real pain.

7. I wouldn't worry about it. Modifiy it. It's been only in the last 20 years that people are getting weird about cutting up gennie parts. We are hotrodders. We modify stuff to meet are needs. I modified a very nice 34 frame for my project and did not give it a second thought. Then again . It was not as "Sacred" as a 32 Ford part. Make yourself happy and do it clean and you will enjoy it. If it bugs you too much then sell your frame to a restorer for 2-300 bucks and you will feel better that you saved another 32 frame and put a smile on restorers face. Everybody will be happy. Then again you could sell it to me for 500 bucks and then I would be happy. Just saying.

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

I guess you would !!!!,... Dang !,... where the heck are you getting those prices from ???,... If it's like he describes, I would be willing to give him a new set of Deuce Rails, Cross members, & Boxing plates for it,... plus throw in some other stuff.

*UPDATE*
    OK,.. wait a minute,... curbspeed,..looks like you were joking,.... Alright,.. I took a deep breath,.. that feels better,.. but my offer still stands.

9. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hey shovelhead, you could always sell me the chassis and buy one already set up! Then I will cut it up.

10. Of course I was. But if it will make a brother feel better about virgin 32 parts with no guilt I am always willing to help out in a pinch. Cheers! I would have put in one of those smiley faces if I could ever figure out how to do it. I'm dumb.

11. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Just an opinion, but if your frame is as nice as you say.....Sell that
    puppy to someone for GOOD money, you will be able to find another
    original or even a new one with the money and have some left
    over for more thing for the project.....There are still lots "Deep Pockets"
    out there willing to pay the Big Bux for the right items....

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Take deep breath and make that first cut... It's only metal! The advantages of an over drive trans that your flathead can't kill will be worth it ten fold. Just do it well and cleanly. Oh, and if you go with the four wheel drive version of the T5, you can remove the transfer case and buy an adapter to run your torque tube too.

13. I would modify the original frame. It has the original numbers stamped in it, saves a lot of problems when titling or regestering your car.

Mick

14. metalman

metalman

Don't know about NY but here selling my gennie frame and buying aftermarket does'nt work too well, here original frame with vin = 32 Ford, aftermarket frame = 2011 special constuction no matter what body when you title the car.
    If I wanted to run a T5 in mine I'd carefully take the K member out (one piece) and either sell it, plenty of buyers I'm sure or hang on to it so your frame could be put back some day.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The '32 rear crossmember drills out easily, right thru the centers of the rivets.

The Model A rear crossmember can then be trimmed on the ends and welded to some pre-fit brackets that replicate the ends of the Deuce crossmember. Bolt the 'A' crossmember in, and stash the Deuce one upstairs in the rafters...
    Read 'need louvers' ?'s instructions above... or just slice the center crossmember at the top. 10" apart...remove the top piece, save it with the Deuce rear. Now the 5 speed will tuck right in there, and two 2-inch welds later will restore your center member.

16. Sell Me The Frame and go aftermarket.

17. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

i was going to do the same thing in my car... here is the thing 5spd with open drive reallly isnt traditional so why even worry about if you have a stock frame or not...go aftermarket.... i decided i wanted a true time machine...so i put a 39 box in it and a torque tube.....

for my coupe i built a frame to use the modern stuff...its still has traditional style , but not traditional ...it has an f-1 steering box, and split bones, but is a stepboxed frame with c-e center cross i dont fool myself its modern ...street rod in disguise.....but the car will drive lots better than my "time machine"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

All this talk abouting ruining a virgin??????? I'm not to old to remember! Do it.

19. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I agree with atwater mike

20. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Don't cut it or sell it. Keep it in the rafters in case you ever want it later and buy a set of ASC rails for your 5 speed project, they are cheap. Just my .02

21. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

My Dad was in a similar situation. He decided to buy an aftermarket frame so he could run a 5spd and a 9" rear without messing with the original frame. So here were are....

[​IMG]

The best part is that eventually the 5w body will go back on the 32 frame with the original fenders and then we get to build something else for the newer frame.

22. I have the same setup as well. I ordered a SoCal Chassis that was super nice and reinforced. Also have a QC but you will have to notch the gas tank.

Go with a new frame.

23. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Sometimes I get the idea there are a bunch of antiquer's on here ,,,Cut it..

24. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I get what your saying but there is something to be said about still having an original frame after all these years. My dad's isn't untouched, the car was originally hotrodded in the 50's, but he didn't want to cut on it anymore.

25. Why a 5sp and a QC? Sort of defeats the purpose of putting in a 5sp.

I have a 39 box and QC...........would'nt do anything else :)

26. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

I had the same problems when building my roadster. I wanted to run a T5 and stock pedals and stock steering. So i cut the K member. I love the 5 speed, it makes the car a kick to drive.

27. 79shovelhead

79shovelhead

hey guys thanks for the input i have to just man up and make the decision.....i def wanna run the origanal frame ill keep ya guy posted....thanks again

28. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Remove the K-member and make up what you need. Same applies to the rear.
    32 frames are goodies but this one is yours and YOU decide what to do with it. The factory number is a BIG plus too!

29. hell i don't see why you don't just cut it up it's paid for and that will get your project closer to being done. post some pictures of your project it sounds cool!

30. Andy

Andy

I had the same problem with a perfect frame. I alway was a fan of the Dick Smith roadster from Phoenix. He ran a 331 and a column shift. I desided to run the 60 Chevy short trans behind my 241 hemi. It goes in without cutting anything. It shifts great and is much stronger than a 39 Ford trans. I like the column shift. They were a very desirable mod in the late 40's early 50's. It is also interesting that few people know what it is. A safety 23 inspector insisted I needed a shift diagram. I built another frame for the T-5 but never changed out the roadster. I like the 3sp column shift.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011