Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who gets your stuff when you are gone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slefain, Sep 8, 2011.

1. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

my kids will get my cars .i tried to purchase my cars based on what each one of my kids liked.they tell me they already belong to them there letting me keep them while im here.my son gets the 70 chevelle. my daughter gets the 64 truck.only thing i ask of them is to pass them down to there kids

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

Totally true,... In a old Jon Denver song it says "The moment at hand is the only thing we really own"

My Wife & sons know ( and it's written down) each one of my sons get to pick out 1 car, and split my tools,.. The guns, it's already decided which son will get what, As well as personal items.

But the things there is only one of,.. Military metals & documents, And My Dads Army metals & documents, My Dads Bible, My old .45 ( They both want that one the most) I have had for many decades,.... This can be a problem.

My Dads Bible on the open market is probably worth only $5.00 to $10.00 ,.. But it's priceless to me,.. and my sons,... My Dad gave it to me not long before he passed away,... And after he was gone when my siblings found out,.... it was like world war III,...

Everything else is to be auctioned,... and all proceeds to go to my Wife,...
    I have seen it all to often, the material things we leave behind can cause very hard & bitter feelings,.. and tear families apart.

A friend once told me,.. "When someone dies, the Devils and Angles come out,.. and it very apparent which ones are which",... This is very true. The saddest thing is when you see that the true value that someone places on you, isn't how much a part of there life you were,... Rather what material things you left them after your demise,....

Money is not the root of all evil,... "The LOVE of money, is the root of all evil". So,.. never love anything, that can't love you back.

I just hope my wife won't bring a date to my funeral ! :D

3. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

squirrel: keep me in mind for your 59 extended cab :D

my stuff? all to my pretty little wife.
    i hope she passes my truk and tools to my son or split among the step-son. he's a good egg.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  4. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

5. Fuck it, I ain't goin.............

6. gashog

gashog

I've been through getting rid of someone else's crap three times now- the first wife, my Dad and then my Mom. I ain't doing that to my son. I made my mind up a long time ago. Soon as I retire next year, I'm starting to dismantle the empire. All I need is my health and the kid ain't gonna turn down a wad of hundreds.

7. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I've been trying to figure this out for a long time. I'm only 21 but a lot of my friends have been dying one way or another so its been making me think

8. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Exactly, me either but if I have to , I'm takin all my shit with me :D

9. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

We lost HAMB member "Old Sub" last New Years - his family has gone through a lot sorting through his collection of shtuff . . . has had several weekend sales advertised through Craigslist and quite a few folks made out like bandits as everything has been priced cheap. Even still - there will be a lot of stuff left over that only Steve knew what it was for or worth and it will likely go to the scrappers.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=1580

I have been selling stuff for the last year and hoping to get my stuff whittled down to a manageable half dozen vehicles when I am done.

I don't want my family to have to go through what Old Sub's family has been dealing with for the last 9 months.

10. burns5150

burns5150

Ummmmmmm....bacon (sigh....) :p
    Ahh haaa, good stuff!
    I told my wife, when I go, she will look at all my junk and think about all those time I pulled on home for my pile!
    All those time she would see something new in the shop and say "Where da Hell did that come from??!!" ...Or my favorite one.. "You payed WHAT for that???!!!" ...Good times!
    Luckly, I am raising a 7 year old little girl, who already is a lil' motorhead hotrodder! ....I asked her the other day what she wanted her first car to be, and she said "Something with some rust on it." Like father. like daughter, Im so proud! Hee hee

11. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

My cars will go to my boys to do whatever they want with them....wherever it helps them the most! My heart will stay
    with my wife....

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

No one..Im takin it with me:rolleyes:

13. Larry T

Larry T

Probably the scrap dealer.
    Larry T

14. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I have no one to leave my stuff to.... My hope is to sell it all off before the Big Day. Of course that presumes that I'll have some idea of when that day is going to arrive...

If that plan doesn't pan out, my wife will have to get rid of everything.

If she leaves before I go.... I guess the state will get what's left.:eek:

15. 4ever18

4ever18

My daughter, grandson, & son-in-law (JMON77) have already spoken for a few of the cars, but I think that they (friends & family) are all dreading sorting the "parts stash". Some of the stuff is easy to identify (NOS '69 Camaro sheet metal, NOS '57 Chevy tudor sedan quarter, etc), it's the small stuff that usually falls through the cracks and either gets given away or hauled to the scrap metal recycler.

I've started taging/labeling some of the more valueable items with both an identification and a value as of xx/xx/xxxx date. This way, the parts can be marketed to the right group of interested parties (muscle car, hot rod, VW, etc) and my family will have an idea of what the item(s) was worth at a particular date. I have '33/4 Ford, '69 Camaro, '62/7 ChevyII Nova, '63/7 Corvette, some early VW (pre '68), and a BUNCH of '55/7 Chevy parts. None of my friends would recognize all of the items. I've been trying to educate my son-in-law on the stuff, but I'd only be kidding myself if I thought that he was retaining all the info - you learn this stuff by taking it apart and putting it back together (and digging around for that missing ^&** bracket). After doing this a few times, you learn what that item looks like!!!

I've also begun selling off more items that I know that I'll never have a use for. I no longer lie to myself about the future projects. In fact, I've begun declaring a few of the existing projects "completed" - at least as far as I'm concerned. AH! The Unfinished Works of 4ever18 :D

Who knows, having never tried alcohol, tobacco, drugs, coffee, and a whole host of other things that are bad for the body and/or mind, I may out live all of them!! But, since I do ride a motorcycle, some brain donor could easily take me out today. :eek:

I'm content with realizing that I'm only the caretaker... When I'm gone, it will be up to either my friends and/or family as to what happens to the JUNQUE (high class JUNK). When I leave this life, I know where I'm going and I won't be a bit concerned about the stuff that I've left behind.

16. cc51

cc51
    from So Cali

If I got married .....Half would be done on the spot! :)

17. After watching a couple of estates of old car friends being settled I decided to put together a document to include with my living trust as instructions for the distribution of my old cars and parts. Note that the cars and parts are fictitious in this example so this can serve as a template for other old Ford owners. Your comments would be sincerely appreciated. Additional sources to advertise would be especially appreciated. My apologies in advance to non Ford owners but my cars and knowledge of advertising sites are all Fords.

Guidance for Trust Executer

The purpose of this document is to provide guidance to the executer of my trust regarding the distribution of my cars and parts. This document is for guidance and nothing in this document is intended to supersede the basic trust document.

If the car is going to stay in the family, you can probably, with the concurrence of the estate lawyer, use a reference such as the Old Cars Price Guide (available at Barnes & Noble book stores) to establish a value for the purpose of settling the estate.

If the car is determined to be junk donate it to a charity instead of calling a towing company and paying to have it removed.

Compare the VIN (or serial number) on the car with the paperwork if you are dealing with complete cars and not just parts. A mismatch can kill a sale plus will drag everything out if it is not started early.

Get many good digital photos. You will need to send them to people asking questions. Show exterior all views, engine compartment, upholstery, and as many other as need to show car completely. Include defects and problem areas.

If we are talking about selling a high dollar car (which I define as over $20K based on values shown in “The Old Cars Price Guide”) spend the money and hire a professional appraiser. Talk to the members of local clubs to find an appraiser. Maybe the estate lawyer has one they can recommend. Get a professional appraiser and not someone with an interest in buying the car. As a check bounce this number off of some members of a local club. Check for sale ads for similar cars. Remember that low mileage original cars carry a premium. At this time you should have an idea about what you can sell the car for.

Probably the best place for national advertising is Hemming’s Motor news (available at Barnes & Noble). Remember when advertising that it may not be worth the money to get national exposure since most cars will sell within a couple of hundred miles. Ebay is a good place to sell a car or major parts.

Cars and major parts currently covered by trust. The dollar values shown are rough estimates as of the date at the bottom of this document and should be verified dollar value shown next to each entry is a guess at the time this document was signed and is intended to be used for guidance only. Omission of cars and/or parts from this list is not intended to exclude them from the trust nor is inclusion intended to add them to the trust.

1927 Model T roadster___________$XX
    1931 Model A roadster___________$XX
    1932 Early V8 2 door sedan_______$XX

NOS 1932 Ford engine___________$XX

Ownership papers for the cars are located ______________________. All cars have current registration or non operation status so if duplicated ownership documents are required they may be requested from the state DMV. Keys are hanging _____________. Duplicate keys are in my safe deposit box located _________________(be sure your wife or someone else trustworthy is on acces to the safe deposit box or it, depending upon circumstances, might take a court order to get into it).

Recommended people to contact for support. These are people in the hobby that I trust and have asked for their support should it be required. Their membership in national organizations may be useful to place ads at no cost. If they are to be actively involved in selling the cars/parts pay them.

Model T’s:_______________
    Alternate_______________
    Model A’s:_______________
    Alternate:_______________
    Early V8’s:_______________
    Alternate:_______________

For any car go to the national club web sites and find the local clubs. The national web sites are:

For Model T’s: mtfc.org

For Model A’s: mafca.com and modelaford.org

For early V8’s: earlyfordv8.org

Write a letter, call and/or attend local club meetings with pictures. Ask if they would place an ad in their monthly newsletter. If the club is smart they will do this at no cost as a service to their members. If they want more than a token amount for the ad just skip their club and tell them why. Unless you car is very unusual it will probably sell to someone within a couple of hundred miles. Contact all of the clubs within this radius. Remember if you contact the clubs by email to include photos with your email as there is a good chance that someone will forward you email to a general distribution list for the club. You should plan on a couple of months for information to work its way through the system. Newsletters have cut off dates and your request may go through a couple of people before it finally gets to the editor of the newsletter. Advertise the cars with a best offer at the end of the two month period and reserve the right to reject any or all offers. If things don’t sell, and it is possible, wait a year and try again.

There are several web sites that have classified sections (be sure your vehicle ends up in the right section). Ads are free but donations cheerfully accepted. Place these ads within a couple of weeks before the closing dates in the club newsletters. These sites are:

Fordbarn.com (separate sections for T, A, V8)

Ahooga.com (A)

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/ (T, A, V8 plus other makes)

The final question is what to do with all of those extra parts. Try to package them with the complete cars to the greatest extent possible. Most of the parts in my garage are in boxes marked to show which car they go to. Another outlet is to contact the local antique auto parts suppliers and get a bid on the lot. Since these people must haul, sort, inventory and sell these parts their prices will be less than if you sell the parts yourself. Maybe have an auction with members of local clubs present. After you have sold all that you can donate them to a local car club or tell the members they can have them for free. This is better and cheaper than paying someone to haul them away.

Signed:__________

Dated:___________
    <!-- / message -->

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  18. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

My concern is the Taxable Value to the Estate. A box of old car parts is one thing.
    When you start itemizing said box of *old car part's* the unknown becomes known
    or estamited worth that is taxable.

19. losthubcap

losthubcap
    from Upstate NY

Let's simplify this. Anybody truly concerned, should post an inventory list on here along with a current picture of the wife & the fellow HAMBers will take it from there and see that it all goes to a good home !

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll bet someone finds my misplaced Moon tank within 24 hours of my passing. I haven't thought too much of who gets what, but it all stays here on my street. The literature collection should go to a National car club library if they agree to keep it and not sell it off. On the topic of family "Stuff" what do you have that belonged to your Grandparents? Do you have anything that belonged to your GREATGrandparents, or know where they came from? I've often thought it was odd that "Stuff" doesn't really have that long a shelf life.

21. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Once I'm dead, D ROD and Fordgasser1 will probably be at my house the same day buying my '34 3 window from my wife for a $ 1000. bucks !

22. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Had that discussion again very recently. Tough to get old. My wife gets the stuff but has instructions to contact some selected HAMB friends about disposition. Sorry guys! :rolleyes:

23. yblock292

yblock292

Young son, 30 years old, one and only, "Dad what are you gonna do with all this stuff?" Not my problem, someday it will all be your's!

24. Estates are not taxed unless they exceed a certain amount. I consider myself reasonably well off but my estate will not exceed this amount. Most estates will not exceed this amount. If you do not have a valid trust (I hope everyone does, if not, what are you waiting for?) and your estate must go through probate (if it is over a certain amount) the attorney's fees are based on the total value of the estate. An interesting twist is that the amount used to determine the probate lawyer's fees includes the full value of the house not just the equity you have in it.

Charlie Stephens

25. My friend's wife sold his '32 3 window (barn find type) and a garage full of parts for $1000 cash and the promise to send a check for another $14K. So far another $2K arrived but I think that will be about it. My friend had been telling his wife for the last five years that he wanted me to help sell the car and give her the money. She promised not to do anything and the next thing I knew 3 guys were loading the car and a garage full of parts into a truck and trailer. I guess she thought she knew more about old Fords than I did and didn't need my help. The guy that bought the car was a "friend". I hope there is a special place in hell for "friends" like that.

Charlie Stephens

26. todztoyz

todztoyz

The 1st and so far only grandson. I just have a feeling he's gonna like cars.

Attached Files:

27. jagster

jagster

Let me pile on. After thinning the herd from 35 down to about 7 or 8 (this week), I do have one son who is a car nut, and he likes what I like, so it will be kept. The others buy new Japanest and German junk,and have no interest in my stuff. You get a little older, (OK a lot), and you just have to think about this.. Prime example: my brother passed last year. Six cars still sitting in garage and driveway. Two are used by wife and son. I hated to bring up the others, and when I did, I got no response,so figured it was too soon. These others will be sold for peanuts,even though I want the one, and he and I discussed it and settled on a price. Now, that is up in the air and I really don't see any changes in the near future. You gotta have a plan Stan.

28. JCW2110

JCW2110

Everything I have will go to my daughter. If she wants to sell it off to buy a house or what ever she needs....Thats all up to her,It's hers now.

29. I dunno..
    Maybe one of those guys who drives around the neighborhood with refrigerators ,and chain link in the back of the stake bed.
    Its gotta be worth at least $40 bucks a ton at the recycling center? Right?
    :d

30. 57fordlover

57fordlover