Register now to get rid of these ads!

remembering old speed shops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matt Delio, Sep 11, 2011.

1. matt Delio

matt Delio

old speed shops in new jersey, eastern pa, long island. Do you remember any of them?? I sometimes ride past an area and think of a hot rod shop or speed shop that used to be there, just wondering later, matt.:confused:

2. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I remember Performance Centers of America and also Vaniderstine performance, both on St George Ave around Rahway, NJ. Both been gone about 20 years now.

3. Hub Auto Supply,Commonwealth ave.Boston Mass,i used to look in there windows and dream,1950.s also Carl Carpenters,Concord Mass.he used to have a small speed shop set up in his Dads dairy barn,open from 5-9 pm used to specialize in 40 Fords,he must have bought every one in the area ,had to have 20 of them,mostly 2 dr. sedans and coupes,1950,s amazing.

4. I remember a speed shop in Ridgewood Queens on Bklyn border Called Top Speed Flathead specialstist, it was on cooperAve near Knickerbocker Ave.
    when I was a kid i used to look in the window and drool over the duel and tri carb Manif. and high compression heads, also Square speed shop in Floral Park with Ray Bop and his hot 41 chevy.

5. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

While we are at it how about Speed Shops in the Dallas, Fort Worth area in Texas. Any famous ones from the 50's-70's?

6. There was a small speed shop in Hemstead during the 60's. It was accross the street from the Caldaroan movie house. I wish I could remember the name?

7. skids 56

skids 56

Anyone remember Dynotech in Ridegwood Queens, or Dino's Speed World in Woodside N.Y. Dont forget Vitar Transmission also! Those were the days....

8. subdajj

subdajj

9. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

G&D Speed East was on Ronkonkoma Avenue Lake Ronkonkoma just south of the LIRR station and the building is still there.

Eastern Speed in Patchogue owned by George Payton- when it went out my father bought a trailer full of stuff for $500 and turnrd it over real fast for a few dollars. I was only 14 or so but recall a lot of floor shifters and a bunch of engine/trans adaptors for all kinds of combinations, I thought to myself who the heck would want these things. Of course that was 1964 or 1965....

10. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I have many of them listed on the web site at Nostalgic Racing Decals

Hope they bring back some sweet memories from the good old days of racing.

Jimbo

11. 59 brook

59 brook

van iderstine also on hylan blvd in staten island
    central jersey speed
    pca in nj & L I
    rahway speed shop
    new york speed in staten island
    s & k speed

12. matt Delio

matt Delio

Frank Delroys in bordentown- Ben Pilla on 206 towards trenton-Al Docherty, Mr. Speed in Camden, Ben Pilla in Burlington, Marty and Joe, Morleys speed center- Rich Morley Trenton Speed- Andy Kish, Sutton Speed Shop- Moorsetown see Dave, and a host of others see if you can remember some of them. thanks, matt.:cool::cool:

13. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Don's Speed Shop, Plainfield and LaGrange Road. Was either in McCook or LaGrange, Il. Still owes my brother-in-law a cam, or so I'm told, but after about 50 years I think he's SOL.

14. See my avatar...Oldest in Texas..from 1948 until the 70s

15. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

Anyone remember this place? This label was on an Edmunds cylinder head box at the Springfield OH swap meet yesterday.

Attached Files:

16. big-daddy-george

big-daddy-george
    from New York

Joe Barzda's California Speed & Sport in New Brunswick,N.J.

17. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Bell & Gaines in Modesto California still in operation:D

18. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

<--------------------

19. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

Rodger's Speed Shop in Garwood NJ - still there
    Thomson Speed Shop - St George Ave
    Don's Speed Shop on Rt1 before moving into the warehouse
    and let's not forget
    Heads Up on Rt1 Edison - that was a fun place in the 70's
    and there was Quick Tool who wasn't to much a speed shop but built cars in the back of the shop and still at it in Middlesex nj

20. DustBuster

DustBuster
    from FL

S&K for sure, Dynotech in Queens (Fresh Pond Rd.) did all of Brooklyn Heavy's cars. I even worked on the car pictured below! You'll see the DynoTech sicker on the 'C' pillar. Atlantic avenue Speed (whose owner Vinnie had a 427 Maverick)were all on the top or their game. Also Dino, the Golden greek had a bad azz Chevelle running out of his Queens Blvd speed shop.

[​IMG]

21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Does Mike's Early Iron of Pasadena CA qualify.
    I met Mike a couple of times.

22. BOBBYA312

BOBBYA312
    BANNED
    from Ala

Wally Taylor's Speed Sport in Birmingham Al. on 3rd ave. in Central park in the 60's and early 70's

23. mikesea

mikesea

ISLAND PORTING.1970's and 80's.Cross Bay Blvd.Broad Channel,Queens New York.The ran at National Speedway ,Long Island ,and Englishtown. Joe the jap,69 ,orange SS convert.mustang Russ,66 stang,and AMX.Javlin Joe.Pete Kenny had a 69 Z/28 NOT EVEN CLOST TO TOCK and a 67 Z/28.Jimmy the Mag 57 chev.Shop also had a rail,and way too many customers to get this old brain going.Was an awesome time,only wish I could turn the clock back.

24. Model T1

Model T1

Home of the Daytona 500. Bill France' garage on Main Street Daytona Beach, Florida.
    Now a biker bar.
    The hotel where the actual Daytona 500 rules and plans were made is now a Gay hotel on A-1-A. Is nothing sacred ?

Attached Files:

25. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Almquist in Milford, PA. 10-4-1963. Bought complete balanced 396 Crankshaft Co. Flathead Stroker Kit with Jahn's pistons and Grant rings plus bearings for $238. I was 20 years old making $2.15 an hour.

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  26. gtoeasy64

gtoeasy64

Roy's speed shop in Hellam,Pa..... (east of York,Pa)
    Where Charlie Hill worked and kept the Filthy Forty Willys.
    Later it became a 4x4 place.... that sucked.

27. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Marvel Auto Stores @ 2639 Atlantic in Brooklyn, NY. Ad in 1959 Speed Age magazine selling Edelbrock, Offy, Mallory, Douglas Split exhaust systems(?) and Smithy' mufflers! Phone DI 5-6982!

28. mikesea

mikesea

kwoodyh,guess you frequented the races on Conduit,crossbay blvd and FOUNTAIN AVE.behind the ol TSS store.

29. 00-DIRT

00-DIRT

There was one in Elyria, Oh called S.O.S. My brother told me the guy wouldnt sell you anything if he didnt, think it would work. Maybe thats why he closed up.

30. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Coopers speed shop in Allentown, Pa. also Sell-Perk ford in Quakertown. A guy named Racer Brown in Allentown operated out of a used car lot. bought my first duel carb intake for an Olds. from him in 54.