Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sitting in the hospital!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Encinitas4, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Encinitas4

Encinitas4
    from California

I recently had my second son 24hrs ago. Talking to him telling him the many things we are going to do together. One of the firsts was obviously we are going cruz the coast with his brother and I in the 62 merc. Which then led me to think. The question of the night: What car on the road today, will be a classic his generation buys,restores,cruises,etc..? Anyone?

2. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

3. Bilt

Bilt

Congrats on the boy!!!

Funny you posted this since I was thinking the same thing the other day. I was thinking of an idea for a late model car built like a traditional sixties custom. The problem I was having was most two doors built today are considered sport style cars. Camaro, Mustang, Challenger.... which is a market that already exist. I would prefer a V8/rear wheel drive but a larger style two door. I was at a loss for anything being produced that fits this style. A Chrysler 300 in a two door, Ford Crown Vic in two door, or Dodge Charger in a two door.

The fact is the kids building these import four banger front wheel drive things is the closest thing I could think of as being the same as those which were putting a flat head in a model A and cutting it down for weight and racing on the weekends.

Maybe some CEO of one of the big car companies will bring back a two door, V8, rear wheel drive car thats not considered a sports car but a car like the 49 Mercury!!! Something worth cutting into and building a laid back cruiser. Because a Prius will never make a cool bubbletop!!!!

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

There aren't any currently built cars that his generation will rebuild and modify.

It is rapidly getting to the point where used cars just don't lie around any more. When they are too used up to repair they are parted out and the remains are crushed and recycled.

That is entirely fitting when you look at some of the stuff they design and produce these days.

5. moefuzz

moefuzz

"What car on the road today, will be a classic "

A 62 Merc comes to mind

Other than that, the honda's and Loylola's of today won't last long enough to become a classic. The factory won't be making any of the 40 computers it takes to run them and besides that, the recycled coke can tin bodies will be long rusted out.

6. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Just expose them to the hobby when they are young. Kids love old cars. My sons are into it.

Congratulations

Attached Files:

7. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Well done brother. Congratulations on the new edition.

8. Encinitas4

Encinitas4
    from California

Thanks for for the congrats fellas. Couldnt be happier now I have to sons to pass the disease onto

9. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

Congradulations!
    Remember diseases can be cured but HotRod DNA is in the blood for life.

Viva

10. knotttty

knotttty

congrats to you and your family..... great times ahead for you all.....

as far as your question goes.... I would have to say...... none...sadly....

Roy

11. bigfive

bigfive
    from south L.A.

Congrats! I'm next!
    All trucks... Cars... Chrysler 300, proly the ugly ass "pt cruzer ", I think hondas since they were popular a few years ago and much was printed on um, mustang, camero, challenger...

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

Congratulations !

(The 82ish Camaro's,... It will be a sad time in the automotive world)

13. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Plastic cars? I think not. Fortunately companies like Brookville are here to provide new steel bodies and they can keep building traditional hot rods if they so choose. Will they go out of style? Hard to say at this point.

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have a '95 Caprice wagon. Getting another this week. Classic? I dunno. But I sure do like em!

15. I like the one Mooneyes used to have.

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Congrats on your son!

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I think that Dodge Magnum wagon might live on, also maybe the HHR. Hard to imagine any modern cars holding up to the elements, but some will.

18. Build a pair of A's in primer, make one a banger the other an AV8.
    When they get old enough they can pick the color . Oldest son gets first choice or mabey best grades....
    Congrats in my family the apple did not fall far from the tree.

19. 56oldssuper88

56oldssuper88

20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Those HHRs are garbage. They look cool but that's where it stops. Pure crap.

21. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Congratulations!

I am going to say that very few cars built today will be on the road 30 years from now, their electronics will be too complicated and costly to maintain, and once all that plastic goes to hell there will probably never be enough of an aftermarket to support a restoration...

I think that the age of "restoreable old cars" has past. Besides, the very few cars built today that I even like a little weigh in excess of 4,000 lbs.... not hot rod material.... If they made "boats" in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, they are making "bricks" today.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  22. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Congrats on the new boy!!!! How about the remake Camaro's, Challengers maybe?

23. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

And add another Congratulations on your Son !!!
    Classic in his early years of driving ?? Boy, hard to say on that one. Most of today's stuff is crap...
    Cheers.......

24. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Thats great my son is 21 and that boy plays cars with daddy when he's not chasing girls and drinking with his buddies .But the good news is I have 3 beautiful girls and maybe one will marry a car nut then I can set at the hospital and discuss what hot rod we will build my grand baby !congrats I love my stinking son