Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember when AMT Model Car Kit was $1.50

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, May 2, 2010.

1. Why didn't I see this thread before, I'm enjoying it muchly, when I should be doing other stuff. :D :D

Real men don't build box stock.

2. Does that apply to me too? :D :D :D :D

3. Deuces

Deuces

4. Deuces

Deuces

They don't make'm like that anymore...

5. I'm waiting to see who did a chop roof on their model --that would take the cake!

6. Deuces

Deuces

I might try it with the Revell '32 3 window body... :eek::confused:
    I might even try it using a electronic digital height stand with the carbide scriber attachment bolted in place.. :rolleyes::D

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  7. Deuces

Deuces

Anyone else building one er two???

8. tabacsko515

tabacsko515

I am looking for some of those old model kits from the '60's. Some are AMT, some MPC, some Jo-Han, some Monogram, some Revell, & some are Hubley, namely the 1960 Ford station wagon & 4 door sedan. About half of mine got lost from moving a couple times, & I would like to replace as many as I can. If anybody has any of these, please send me a list of the ones you have, including the condition & whether they are complete in parts, or already put together, or never put together. Send by email if possible. Or, send by mail at: John L. Tabacsko, 515 Grant Street, Apartment 3, Reynoldsville, PA 15851. Thank you.

9. Clik

Clik

Adjusted for inflation since 1967 a model should go for about ten bucks. Of course our good ol' government doesn't always (never) tell the truth when publishing their inflation numbers.

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean like this 40??
    [​IMG]

Doc.:cool:

11. Yeah and the Original Hot-Wheels Red-Lines were 99-Cents too !!! >>>>.

12. I never built the models the way they were on the box!I had an old desk with many drawers,filled with parts after years!I was cutting the stock wheel tubs out,narrowing rear axles to put big meats on the back of various 57s 55s etc without cutting the wheel openings.This took place in the late 60s into the 70s.You know, making el Caminos out of Revelles 57 Nomad models,building pro street cars before any such thing was heard of... R~R

13. On sale so I can turn my grandsons onto this fine hobby?

14. Deuces

Deuces

It's all fun stuff.... ;)

15. Not really. I'm saving them for when someday I have grand-kids, hopefully not too soon.
    Speaking of the guy who asked about anyone chopping their kits. A buddy of mine would try to chop some of his kits. I ended up with his failures which ended up in this box of all kinds of parts. He never gave me the bodies though, just the remaining unused parts. I have a feeling he just smashed them in frustration.:(

16. Last week I went shopping for Holiday Gifts and did not see one on the shelf for gift giving --- sorry kids of today ,you are missing a life lasting memory.

17. I remember when that little bottle of Testors paint went from 10 cents to 15 cents. I was pissed! I can't even imagin what it costs today, probably a buck & a half or more.

18. chevy3755

chevy3755

i can remember the 10 cent paint.....the 1.50 models......seems pretty high now.....i still like to build them......bought myself one for Christmass....22 $

19. Deuces

Deuces

Have you been to Kmart lately???.... ;)

20. F500

F500

it seems really out of whack, but if you think about it, I was making something like $1.75/hr then too. kind of a wash.

worked an hour to pay for a kit then, and still today. the problem with kids today is that they're not encouraged to do things that require parental supervision. the parents rely on video games and TV to 'babysit' them. no good comes from that.

21. F500

F500

yea, if you can find one thats still open. :(

22. Deuces

Deuces

Let's say we give this one a bump.
    It's been a while......

23. Deuces

Deuces

You were close.... Last time I looked, it was $1.19 for a 1/4 oz bottle of Testors paint.. And I think $2.79 for a tube of Testors glue.. :(

24. Hard to FIND a Kmart lately!

25. Deuces

Deuces

They got rid of their model section..... Again!... :mad:
    Maybe this Christmas they'll re-stock...

26. Deuces

Deuces

Got 2 of them in my neck of the woods...

27. Deuces

Deuces

With all the new kits and re-issues that are coming out, I think this holiday season is going to be a good one.. ;)
    Revell just came out with 2 new kits... The '62 Vette and the '57 Ford Fairlane.. Both are 2n'1 kits.. Round 2 (AMT) will be coming out with Carl Casper's "Young American" front engine dragster and a few others...

28. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I bought nine kits today at a swapmeet 32 3-5 window,34 3-5 windowcoupes,37 ford truck,little red wagon,32 woody. AMT,Monogram,revelle. All were unbuilt kits. I may go back tomorrow and buy the remainder of the kits.