Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who gets your stuff when you are gone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slefain, Sep 8, 2011.

1. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Thanks Dr. Phil.
    I'm now changing my will so my wife and kids can sort through my rust pile and get tetanus because they won't be able to sue me.

2. Step parents enter into this deal also. My dad remarried in 2004 and she has been steadily working her way through everything he has. She even got the will and his insurance changed to give it all to her for disposition. She gets all of his life insurance but her kids get all of hers in case she goes first...

Will, Trust, whatever it takes to protect your family and insure they get what you want them to have. All we are going to get is the shaft, she has already stolen all the gold.

3. codeblu

codeblu

My son will get everything I have, besides he's the one thats been filling the shop with tools, equipment, parts and projects.

4. Well, unless my grandson steps up and really gets into the older cars, my "stuff" will be divided amongst a friend's son and some of my friends (younger than I) who are all in to cars. Not to be mean or anything but my kids want nothing to do with the stuff so they have nothing to say about what happens to it. What we work on and drive is a part of our legacy, what we leave to others who are in to the hobby, and for generations to come.

To be truthful, if it were up to my kids, all of the stuff would go to the scrapyard and get crushed for scrap money. It's just old junk to them ....

5. I don't have much stuff but I hope to have enough stuff one day to burden my family with when I'm gone. :)

6. lukey

lukey

My wife and i actually talked about this the other day. My 58 and any parts ive collected for it goes to my son, if he isnt old enough to do anything with it, it goes into storage till he is. My 2 daughters will split my model collection and automotive art collection, and sell everything else. They can go out for pizza with the $12 that my junk is worth

7. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

I don't have kids but I do have a few nephews and only one of them had the balls to ask me Uncle when you die can I have your car! All the other ones wanted it but never asked. so the little nephew with the balls to ask me gets my car and all my tools, he's only 9yrs old and loves to come and help me with my car and loves going to car shows and car cruise's. So those of you who have kids count your blessings cause I will never get too.

8. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

all my buddies get my stuff (fishing, surfboards and car stuff) first come, first served. they will give some coin to the family as they see fit.

my family is covered based on my life insurance. plan for the worst, hope for the best.

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My son gets one car and my daughter the other car. They can split the rest 50 - 50 as per my will. :rolleyes:

10. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

my wife gets everything when she outlife,s me she know what to do whit it cheers

11. burns5150

burns5150

My wife said...."When you die, at the funeral....I will have cards made with the orbituary on one side......and an auction number on the other side. I will be selling before you are cold." :) :) :) Oh, how I love my lady!!!
    So it looks like some of you guys might have a shot at my "junk". ;)

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm immortal so I don't have to worry about it:cool:

13. If I go first, my wife who is clueless. She said the kids will get it after her who are clueless. Anyway you look at it the kids will get it and they might get 10 cents on the dollar but I even doubt that, I think I will just have it buried with me because I was the only one that really enjoyed it anyhow and since it is virtually worthless to everyone else it would't matter and it can rust in peace with me.

14. Me well I've given nieces & nephews some guns & fishing gear & family heirloms & pictures. My bride(of 40+ yrs) is on all the titles & deeds. We have a will but it probably needs updated as things seem to accumulate. As far as i'm concerned about me build a fire & spred the rusty ashes on the mountain or in the ocean. I just hope she has an idea of whats in the shop. I try to educate her everyday on the value of the cars & parts. A good charity(City Of Hope comes to mind) is a good place for some of it.
    Like the monkey said when they cut his tail off "It won't be long now" . heh heh he
    Of course every day I wake up it's a gift, but this gettin old is for the birds.
    I think the golden years have tarnished.

15. Sittin here thinkin which is not good. We don't own any of this stuff (cars & houses) anyway we are just caretakers so take good care of it for the next caretaker.

16. Smokey2

Smokey2

"Tha' Guy Who dies With The Most Toys, Wins !"

Like the Song sez, "Just Give IT Away"...............

Smoke'

17. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

+1 on all points, but to clarify, just having a written piece of paper saying who gets what, even if signed by you, won't keep stuff out of probate. Anythnig you want to keep away from probate should be placed into a trust. For a grand or so you can set up a trust that includes a will, medical and financial powers of attorney, etc. It's FAR cheaper than the lawyer fees to go thru the probate process, and YOU control how everything is distributed if you set it up right.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the probate process takes a MINIMUM of 3 years to go thru, in almost every state. Until you clear it, nothing can be done with any of the assets. All that time lawyers are sucking money out of the pot, bills still need to be paid, etc.

18. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

So.... how ya feeling? Wanna get a big, greasy, bacon, double cheeseburger with a side of chili fries? Maybe some fried twinkies and pork rinds for desert?
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

19. i wrote of a similar story a while back when i overheard anold guy was gonna have sale at his wake and friend said you don't look to good right now can i have those nos fenders hangin in your garage ?

but i do love love this idea
    will this be the next step inreality tv...... pickers /hoarders/ overhaulin/pawnstars.trasure hunters?

the more i think about this at least have some starting prices on the things needing to move quickly and of coarse posting it here

20. I want my Cadillac and everything else buried with me for the after life. ---just kidding!

21. Who get what and where it goes after I die isnt very importaint to me. I suppose the highest bidder at my estate auction will be the next owner. OldWolf

22. studematt

studematt

It all goes to my two boys or if there to young my wife will keep certain things and sell the rest to pay on the house.

23. Graham-Cracker

Graham-Cracker

My daughters will have onr hell of an auction, the barn is full . And so are the garages,you all come & enjoy.

24. i am still thinking
    oldest daughter is the only one of 3 that works with in the shop with me
    she and her husbend still work in my shop
    she is a better tig welder than me
    she welded at Betterbuilt building aluminum tool boxesl

25. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

My wife and I have a trust and recently reworked our wills. Left one page blank that can be changed on a whim if we get pissed at the kids and grand children. Several collections are museum worthy and the rest will go to charity.

All kidding aside, even if you use Legal Zoom, make some provisions to spare your spouse and kids the agony of probate and the bottom feeders that will show up and say to your wife, "Dennis wanted me to have all of the tools and the roadster!"

26. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

"Mrs.4X4, Dennis wanted me to have all his tools and the roadster. And that nice lamp,and that chair, and that paddleball game.".
    I told my wife that at the yard sale just price everything a buck. But they have to take everything. Seriously this is a good topic. Not so much the you dont care cause your croaked, but thats such a hardship on the folks that have to deal with your crap. My folks lived in a museum and by the time my brothers were done rolloffs were in front of the house.

27. I just finished reading through this thread and all I can say is WOW. some good ideas and some people is situations that are horrible. At 17 im not too worried about kickin the bucket just yet, however I know how much this can affect people. My father always tells me the story about a friend of his who's 55 was sold for next to nothing because he didnt specify who it went to and his wife didnt want it kept in the circle of his friends which she never keeps in contact with. Its sad really that some people arent prepared, especially when they have some really neat stuff kickin around. I know when the time comes
    I'll hopefully end up with a garage full of tools. With that in mind I hope I wont have that honour for a reallyyyyyyyyyy longggg time.
    On a side note. If anyone is in a stiuation that they have no one interested in what they have after they go. message me and I"ll buy it so you have some gas money to cause a little more troubble before you go to the "big rod run in the sky."

28. Absolutely! I neglected to mention that fact. Some people are under the mistaken and misguided notion that a will alone will keep probate at bay. NOT true!

Oh, and for you few that were flaming my original post, your responses simply validated everything I said, thanks! What happens after you leave this Earth DOES matter to your family. You can plan for it...or not.

29. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

I have way too much stuff. 3 GMC motorhomes, the old front wheel drive models, '51 Ford Victoria, '62 Stude GT Hawk, '87 El Camino, '94 Caprice wagon, '37 Ford tudor. My kids are 3,000 miles from here so it wouldn't pay to ship it. I think they should just have an auction and split the money. Then they could buy what they want when they go home.

30. havi

havi

We're still dealing with my grandmother's passing. She got everything from my grandfather a couple years ago. And that's with my mother and aunt as Powers of Attorney. So I asked my mom, "after going through all of this, do you have a will for you and dad?" She said "no". I'm thinking to myself, "gee thanks, all the Hell you're all going through (7 of them), I'm gonna have to go through the same thing and worse, by myself. (only child)" Moral of this is that planning is necessary. Nobody wants to do it, but it's still necessary.

As for all of my stuff, I expect Bob Jones and/or Stu McMillan to come up here with a trailer and take all of my Ford truck stuff away. The rest, to whoever wants it, I guess. If I ever finish a car or truck, it'll go to my daughter, wherever she may be. If my wife goes before I do, it'll be easier to deal with. If I go before her, who knows what will really happen. Would it be a burden on her to deal with all of this stuff, yeah. But I'll be dead, and won't care. She says the same thing about her stuff, lol.

I also seen firsthand the 'rolloffs' scenario with my uncles. When cleaning out my grandparent's house, everyone grabbed something at first. Then, they went through and chucked everything into the garbage. I can't imagine how much 'worth' got tossed. It was just easier for them to do it, so they could sell the house.