Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who changed there building style because of the HAMB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swimeasy, Sep 9, 2011.

1. swimeasy

swimeasy

I was building a 27 steel t-bucket and had started collecting parts for a new age rod (you know,the basic SBC powered, Dophin gauge, new crappy wheels and tires sort of thing). Then someone at Austin Speed Shop told me about the HAMB. I lurked for 2 years and got a little education! Joined up and have enjoyed trad. flathead rodding (flatties for me) ever since! Thanks, Ryan and crew!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  2. VonKool13

VonKool13

I havn't changed my style, because I've always been into "traditional" styling, but I've become more discriminatory on what I like. I stoped liking rat turds and see them for what they truly are. Also, I've learned alot about suspension and fabrication that is helping me build a much better jalopy. :)

3. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I have always liked the traditional stuff but always strayed towards street rods and stuff. After I found the H.A.M.B. I have been into building my cars in the traditional style and have no plans on changing that!

4. 117harv

117harv

It hasn't changed my style or taste, but has made me work even harder to improve my fab skills, there are alot of very talented fabricators here. I also enjoy the hobby more being a part of this group or family if you will, of like minded people....long live the HAMB:)!!!

5. Bucket of T

Bucket of T

LOL you basically described my car. :( Except I have Stewart Warner gauges*

I still like the looks of a r** r**.:eek:

Do what ever you want to do with your car, the world needs diversity.

6. Dakota Boy

Dakota Boy
    from Racine, WI

I just need to ditch my RWL tires for next year's Symco Shakedown.

7. hotrod fozzie

hotrod fozzie

I wouldn't say changed so much as fine tuned my style & educated me on many different topics . :cool:

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It hasn't changed my style, but it made me aware of the history of horodding and the different styles (customs, gassers, etc.). I started moving away from "street rods" when everything got painted pastel and every moving part was billet or chrome. I guess my style is in between streetrod and traditional. I can't afford to do a totally HAMB style car, but I do try to immulate what I can.

I know my car isn't totally HAMB friendly, so I usually only post about it unless it fits a topic. Out of respect! One day I'll have the means (money) and knowledge to do a truly trad build, until then, I'll listen and learn. That's the best thing about this joint.

Now, someone send me a free 350 turbo, so I can go cruisin' next week!!!:D

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I must say I have refined my tastes just a tad

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

11. The Hamb rules! Because of NoSurf (Jay , my neighbor), I learned about traditional build. I went from rusty rod build and stupid shock build - to a '26 Ford roadster set-up. Also thanks to povertyflats (Paul) for supplying me with the nice parts needed for this build. Paul sure can find the nice parts to build true hotrods.

12. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Is that like the difference between saying "I like beer" and "I am a beer connoisseur"?

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I havent either .I just fit into this mold.....

14. The Hamb has not really changed the way that I am building my vehicles, they are built to suit my tastes, not just to suit whomever is on here. But I will say this, I have had the privilege of hanging out with the Iron Lords for the past year or so and I have come to appreciate the more traditional side of building, whether it be a hot rod or a custom. I even got rid of the aluminum mags that were on my 'bird and switched to some steelies because of the inspiration of these guys. They have been more of an influence than anything. But I can appreciate all build styles, whether it is a high-dollar billet rod or a low-buck jalopy. I just love old cars.

15. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I doubt VERY seriously that I would have ever built another Hot Rod with drum brakes and bias ply tires, let alone another Flathead.... Then I ran across the HAMB.

Thanks alot Ryan.;)

16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Duff Man says a lot of things

17. before i found the HAMB i did'nt know wat a traditional hotrod was, i thort anything that was'nt covered in billet was a r*trod. i never liked the billet clad look or the shock value r*trod look, i just knew there was a certain style of "r*atrod" that i liked, then i found the HAMB and was enlightened to the fact that the style of "r*atrods" that i liked were actually traditional hotrods. i guess it wolda been a case of ignorance is bliss if i didnt find the HAMB, my car would have been alot cheaper to built if i could just slap it together with what i had in the shed but to me it wouldnt seem right to have 60's or 70's parts on a 50's style build.

18. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Definitely changed my perspective and it certainly drives many (not all) decisions I am making with my ride. I can tell you that before the HAMB, I would never have thought I could or would chop a car. This place and its people rule. Thanks!

19. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Me. Being a hamb member has taught me this:

Do what you like. I'm not here to impress anybody. I don't think I *can* impress anybody. But even if I could, what kind of a lame ass purpose in life would it be to gain the approval of a bunch of people you don't know? (Or like?)

Hamb rules. The knowledge in here is astounding. I sit humbly in the shop corner, in awe.

20. banditomerc

banditomerc

i have become more intrenched in the traditional STYLYN,other than that i'm still the same.

21. So that is you way over in the other corner from me.LOL. Totally agree with you as at the end of the day,we drive,work and are seen either in or with our cars.

22. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

my brother and i had always been car guys. my brother worked with with Larry Erickson while he was at Ford Design. my brother started building a 32 roadster which i helped with. Erickson asked if we wanted to help out with the "75" duece show in 2007 in Pomona. then i found the HAMB and that sealed my fate. my brothers first roadster was traditional but "catalog traditional" i would call it. CE front axle etc etc. then reading, learning on the HAMB changed things. my model A has an A axle that was dropped by HAMBer "296V8". it just looks better to me. i look for period parts now and avoid the catalog stuff. so yeah, the HAMB changed how i build. like the Speed Gems trans adapter i scored at the flea market last week. i could have bought a new one from speedway, but this one is just better.

23. drag_punk

drag_punk

Too many damn people, that's who.

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Can't say I changed my style for the HAMB because I did not know of the HAMB when making my mind up about doing it. But I do now that I was tired of all the mono style paint jobs and cloth seat with console Tri Fives some 15yrs back. Desided the early Gasser style was it for me. Little did I know that so many would be done and even more Street Freaked. Even though mine is not correct because some iteams are of later. Those can be swapped out in time.

25. I wouldn't say it has changed my style...but has definitely helped fine tune my style

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

My style has always been stuck in 1965 but I am in awe of the true craftsmen on this board. I try harder now to make my stuff look better.

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well if the HAMB had actually influenced my 1949 Chevrolet "build" (some may refer to it as long term storage) I'd be buying a Gambino notch, air bags and Coker whitewalls to go with the MII already installed.... I'm still going with the 5 spokes and low HOT ROD theme I planned out long ago.

never been any sort of high tech guy, so when folks like Boyd came along and took off all the bits and pieces that give old cars thier character I was not impressed. I've always like what I call timeless HOT RODS, always will.

about the only change in my opinion of things from 10-20 years ago would be that now I could see myself in a drum braked, buggy sprung front and rear, split boned fenderless A-32-34 if the money were around for something like that. before I'd have had disc brakes and coilovers, maybe even a 4 bar. same car, same wheels and stance, but now I appreciate the old time details.

I have always had an appreciation for the early customs, so that hasn't changed.

28. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

The two greatest influences on my rod were Dad Baskerville and the HAMB

29. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

to damn old to change . styles today & much different from when i was young .
    i just do it out of my head . ... steve

30. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

Been around long enough to know what I like and my cars If you like them fine............:D

and if you don't............

[​IMG]