Register now to get rid of these ads!

Twin Engine Coupling (How Do You Get Two V8's In-Line?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Sep 8, 2011.

1. I know one of you's is building a twin engine inline V8 dragster or hot rod. My question is how did you connect up the motors? How did the old guys connect up the motors? Any pictures? Any build pictures?

2. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

For two in line, I'm told by someone who ran one in the '60s (two injected flatheads) that he used two large gears of the same size. One at the back of the crank on the front engine, and one at the front of the crank on the rear engine. He brought them together and wrapped it with double roller chain just long enough to go around. This secured the two gears together face to face and linked the cranks together.

Edit:
    Ha! I think the owner is here on the hamb, here is his page:
    http://www.norbsplace.com/page3.html
    with the info. I traded some email with him a few years back.

Goes to show you everything is already here on the hamb.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  3. titus

titus

Double row chain and a couple of sprockets is one way, ive collected up the stuff to do it with for a "future" project.

jeff

4. Deuces

Deuces

I think the # 1 cylinders on both motors would fire @ 45 degrees apart..... Or something like that...:confused:

5. Alignment is the most important thing. The engine mounts need to be adjustable and allow the engines to be move sideways and up and down. Shims and feeler gauges will be required and a lot of time and patience. There are all types of couplers for motors and pumps. McMaster Carr is a good source for couplers.

I have used a rubber hose and hose clamps on some small applications.

When we were kids, some of the toys used ball point pen ink tubes.

Okie Pete likes this.
  6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cattle dogs...........

Okie Pete and LeoH like this.
  7. 296moon

296moon
    from england

I am building an inline twin, at first I was going to go with the two sprockets and double chain route but when looking for the box to rearend coupler I found that I could get male and female blank rings, these are as I write this, being fitted to flanges that will bolt crank to crank so the front engine will slide in, it will now be far easier to take apart and timeing between the two can be ajusted by ether the moveing the coupler round a tooth (18 degrees per tooth) or if it needs more we can offset drill the flanges, heres a pic of the rear coupler, Ill post a pic of the middle one when I get it back from my machinest frend trevor, [​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  8. Like this?

[​IMG]

Okie Pete, jimmy six and Deuces like this.
  9. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

This should be an interesting thread...keep the pictures and ideas coming!

10. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

The engines do not need to be timed together.

11. john walker

john walker

a lot of stress on a damper and single key. what is beefed up in order to keep it together?

12. Deuces

Deuces

As stated above... They are timed to fire @ 45 degrees from each other on the # 1 cylinders...

Okie Pete likes this.
  13. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

It's not necessary. It will run just as well at 5 degrees, or 40 degrees. It may sound different, but the output is the same. The engines do not have to be the same size, or the same make, or the same number of cylinders.

Okie Pete likes this.
  14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Ivo's "SHOWBOAT"[​IMG]

15. Now I'm confused...

16. 296moon

296moon
    from england

There would be alot of stress if my engines were blown but sadly their not, so we have just hardend the key, we can add more keys or bolts if anything shears but should be ok with mine, I wanted the engines as close a possible so we are useing these couplers from mark williams, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Okie Pete and Deuces like this.
  17. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

45* is not really the best.It's hard on cranks and bearings. I always recommend going with 10*. What your looking for is 8 long burns instead of 16 short ones. It's really all about the harmonics between both engines. Look up Toymakers thread he set his engines up @ 10* check his video of his engines running.

Blind Elwood

Flathead Freddie likes this.
  18. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Yes your right, but I want to try 90 off as well

19. Actually 296moon, you're coupler idea is a pretty good one. You say that Mark Williams makes those? Does he have a website?

20. Deuces

Deuces

I think it's Mark Williams Spools.. :confused:

21. 296moon

296moon
    from england

22. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

I built an outlaw dirt late model that had the engine installed backwards, drove the car off of the front on the engine (damper end). I just installed the hub and drilled a couple more evenly spaced holes along the parting line between the hub and crank for 2 extra "keys", actually just a couple pieces of steel rod lightly tapped into the holes + loctite. Never a problem, ran that car for a couple years.

Okie Pete, Deuces and cheapracer like this.
  23. bigskybob

bigskybob

Just curious Weedburner - WHY?

24. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

Easy way to get a reverse rotation drivetrain. The water pump/timing gears/oil pump all moved to the back of the engine (it was BBMopar) and with the remote mounted transmission, it all helped the heavy engine beat an engine setback rule.

Okie Pete likes this.
  25. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

It's your time and your dime. The outcome will be the same.

Blind Elwood

26. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

I was under the impression that the press fit of the damper on the crank snout and not the key is what absorbed the shear/stress.

27. 296moon

296moon
    from england

It shouldent make any power difference but might sound better?

28. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

My cousin Buzz built this years ago. Still cruises it around when he can. I'll try to get some pics of how he joined his and post them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]