Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who gets your stuff when you are gone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slefain, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

More than likely , the bank.....:D

2. rooman

rooman

If my G/F and I are still together she will get whatever she wants car wise and the rest (shop/equipment) will go to my brother and my nephews. My bro is a gearhead like me and so are his two stepsons so the stuff will go to someone who will appreciate it.

Roo

3. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

One daughter wants my truck, the other wants my bike. The rest they can figure out on their own. Should be OK as far as I am concerned.

4. Deuces

Deuces

A man!!!! Problem is, 6 foot of dirt will cave in my convertible top.. :rolleyes:
    I wind up being worm food...

5. Son, and close friend.

6. Deuces

Deuces

Only thing I got from my dad was his SKS...

7. You guys that think that "I don't care, I'll be dead!" are REALLY ignorant! For many of the reasons listed above, add this: If you leave no will or other written legal instructions, the chances of your entire estate going to the State go up exponentially! Believe me, the State wants your stuff! Nothing gives a bureaucrat a hard-on more than the opportunity to take your stuff, whether you are dead or alive! Probate is a nightmare, period! Do you really want a judge to determine who is entitled to what you have? Do you really want to in essence "donate" everything you've worked a lifetime to acquire to the State, so they can waste it like they do every other dollar they take in?

If you think that "it won't matter to me, I'm dead" is the epitome of selfish thinking. You really want to put your spouse, kids, etc. through the asspain of all that, just because you were too shortsighted and selfish to make out a will? To let your intentions known? To provide for your surviving family members? Then you are nothing more than a fool. If this upsets you, it should.

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I have a will, and it spells out everything goes to my wife. If she's gone my eldest son is stuck figuring out how to divide it up. My cars are just three, and I know he wants the Camaro, but not sure how he'll divide the other two.
    I've got a lot of other collectables, and there's instructions noted in the safes, and on shelves as to what to do with them.

9. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

Man, there is a lot of good info here. Thanks everyone for chiming in. I've got some paperwork to do now. I've been watching part of my in-laws' family bicker over an estate for ten years now because there wasn't a will. Everything is just sitting and rotting in place; house, cars, farm, all of it. Whole thing wasn't worth $60k before, probably worth half that now.

10. kaui

kaui
    from SJC calif

I do, I'm taking it with me............ha ha

11. as i said i dont care who gets it because i have NO kids, no realtives that are remotly car people so if i leave it to my realtives it will all just go to the scrapper anyway so why not cut out the middleman and handel it myself its all just rusty junk anyway who cares

dont call others names until youve been in thier shoes and lived thier lives

12. Deuces

Deuces

13. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Assuming we're talking about our car related stuff then I must be 'ignorant' because I don't give a flying fig who gets my rusty pile of crap that really only has value to me.You obviously have an issue with the Government that clouds your thinking and really doesn't affect me.

14. Depends on if you are married or not. If you are married everything is recognized as community property. Someone might contest it but the state cannot it has to be an individual, being married carries a lot of weight in court.

If you like her well enough to shack up with her marry the bitch.

Truth is that if you don't have anyone that you want your stuff to go to there is really no reason to worry about it, dead men don't drive.

If you have something that is important that someone in particular has hen you need to make sure that it is arranged prior to your death. If that happens to be your hide then a marriage liscence is cheap insurance.

15. I'll admit, I didn't read all of the posts, but I read enough variations of 'I don't care, I'll be dead' or 'The family will sell it off' to feel the need to comment.

As a hot rodder still in my 20's, I believe it'll be a big hit to the hot rod community, and knowledge pool when some of you take your final rest. But I also know, that it'll be younger hot rodders like me who are searching out these treasure filled garages, and reaping the benefits of the influx of parts and cars available.

However, how many of you had felt the frustration of seeing a car rust away because the family is going to 'fix it up someday'. You know the people; grandpa died, they kept his car for sentimental reasons, but have no interest in it. Or how about the old hoarder who dies, leaving a veritable treasure in his garage, only to have it all bought up and resold at inflated prices. To see hot rodders say 'I don't care, I'll be dead' saddens me. It saddens me because there is so much talk about keeping the hobby alive, and I can think of no better way to keep the hobby alive, then to make arrangements so that hot rodders, be it friends, family or strangers, can continue the hobby, the tradition, and protect the history. After all, we're all in this together...

no offence, but oooh! A treasure hunt! :D

16. dexleo2

dexleo2

My cars, tools, and parts will be divided between my three children and my wife. I have two children into cars and one that has no intrest in them. The one child that is not interested in cars has already told me he just wants the Mach 1 and the tools and parts can be split with his brother and sister. My wife knows what I have and the dollar value to each and every part and tools. I have 2 really good friends that she call call to get help with the value of something.

This is a good post- This is something I have worried about for a while, and it goes well beyond just my tools, cars, and parts. I watched my Great Grandparents estate right apart by the state, A person needs to have this shit spelled out, if you don't you may create a hell for your loved ones behind. just my .02 cents

17. No offense taken, watch the obits, find instructions in the will. I doubt I will be sorely missed but just to make sure someone remembers I intend to be just as ornery in my death as i have been in life. :D

18. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

So I was thinking about this very topic some time ago and I asked my young wife, "If I die would you remarry?". She says, "I don't know, I guess I haven't given it much thought". I say, "Let's say that I did die and you did remarry, would you give your new husband my cars and parts?". She says, "No, he's a Chevy guy!".

19. Deuces

Deuces

DOH!! :eek:

20. Deuces

Deuces

She's busted! :D

21. You didn't even know that she knew me did you? :D:D

22. chopperfugger

chopperfugger
    from austin

My Ex did not wait till I was gone. She gave my 1980
    Heavy Half-ton / 350 four barrel / 4 on the floor-Hurst shifter
    From the Factory Pickup to her brother.

23. chopperfugger

chopperfugger
    from austin

Guys - as regards wills - wife trumps will.

24. Deuces

Deuces

Should have reported it stolen....

25. ......

Attached Files:

26. Good, my last post seemed to upset some of you. I guess the concept of thinking about others in your life and not just yourself is too much for some. That's OK, though, it's your life, do as you will. Enjoy the day.

27. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Some folks just can't seem to let a sleeping dog lie...

28. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'm taking all my shit with me.

29. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Wow. Can't you find a more civilized way to make your point? More advice: enjoy life while you can, and stop worrying about and criticizing how OTHERS live theirs.

30. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

At 66 I'm already dishing out my small collectable junk to my younger friends that I think would really enjoy it. You know stuff that isn't worth all that much but has a meaning to just a real car guy (I had a full/complete set of West Coast Kustoms dash plaques from day one thru the 90's).
    Car stuff my wife will take it and do what ever, my kids don't care.