Register now to get rid of these ads!

FedEx Just Bent Me Over...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedy Canuck, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Being a Canuck, I've dealt with the cross boarder exchange rates, duties, taxes and brokerage fees before. Don't like it, usually don't agree with it, but its a fact of life.

Recently bought a part from a HAMBer out of California. He checked with FedEx regarding shipping, and according to them, it'd be roughly $70 US shipped to my door. Well, the seller and I came to a price that we both could live with, I wanted the part, so I sucked it up and paid for the part and shipping. FedEx dropped it off a couple of weeks ago, everything was peachy keen.

Just got a letter from FedEx today addressed to me, (they spelled my last name wrong) telling me that I owe $113 in Brokerage and Bond Fees!!! :eek: Apparently, I'm supposed to pay "immediately". Wonder what'll happen when I call them tomorrow and tell them that they spelled my name wrong, and that I don't have the funds to pay them immediately...? I guess quoting a price 'delivered to your door' means that they'll also send an invoice to your door, demanding more later. Sorry for the off topic rant, but this has me pissed off like hell. It's nothing short of highway robbery. :mad:

2. alchemy

alchemy

Did he send it prepaid from a store, or via an account of yours or his? If pre-paid, I'd consider it "paid for" and ignore the letter.

If the seller sent it via somebody's account, they will get paid sooner or later.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

no, you didnt get that notice, and you are not the "named" person..let em pound sand

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Did you call them to make sure? A company I used to work for had to deal with FEDEX and Canada. They used to send out that paperwork as a follow up. Call, it may not be an actual invoice. Shipping is paid in full by the sender or it wouldn't leave the country (USA).

5. Ah the Canadian brokerage fee...

Hopefully they didn't get your phone number right, because if they don't get those fees in a timely manner they will sell your info to a collection agency, and they will bug the crap out of you until they get that money, wether your name is spelled correctly or not. All they care is that you were at the registered address, and you accepted the package because you were in fact expecting it. Think about it, if you weren't actually who they think you are, why the hell would you accept this car part?? Wouldn't you look to give that back to them because it's not something you were expecting?

I ship to Canada often in my job and have had people try to skirt it. Unfortunately it just didn't work for them. They will give you time if you can't pay right away, but they're going to harass you in letters and phone calls until they get their money. Sorry man, they've got it out for you Canadians. If you buy anything else from the US, request USPS only. Still customs fees, but not nearly as bad.

6. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

I got the "Rear Admiral" treatment a few months back, too.

In my case the driver had the second invoice in hand, and required payment on the spot. I was choked, to say the least. Oddly enough, this guy was competent, knew exactly how it worked, and gave me an explanation.

The shipping is paid before leaving the sender. That's all Fedex, UPS, or any carrier gives a shit about. Once it lands on this side of the border, the gov't and the brokers pile on the extras, the "costs" are billed to said carrier, and ultimately to you.

That would have been nice to know BEFORE the uniformed dink came to my door.

That's what I consider a dry f**k, no lube.

7. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Whenever I ship or receive something to or from Canada, its clearly marked as a birthday gift. Never any added fees. Something to think about.

Blind Elwood

8. brad chevy

brad chevy

You got your package and if any fee was due on it they should have said so on paper when delivered. Screw Fed-ex. As far as you were expecting the item,hell yeah you were. That just paying for a rip off way of doing business is horse shit. I guess using the milehigh way of thinking. I could send you the package,then 2-weeks later send you a bill for the packing tape and you got to pay it. You got your part screw them.

9. rld14

rld14

I once shipped something to Canada...

Sent it to Sol Rosenberg, c/o the buyer

;)

10. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Put a brick back in the box and send it back. Wrong item! Will that work?

11. Sorry to hear this Speedy, there's got to be a better way. Remember when the dollar wasn't so good? We were paying more than double on car parts with the added brokerage, shipping, GST and duty fees. When ever possible, I try to pick up parts when I'm down there, claim it at the border and pay only taxes - no shipping or brokerage fees. A few guys have recently told me about a company near the border(US side) that will accept your packages, no matter how big, and hold them for you for a small fee (can't remember, somewhere between 5-25$). This will take advantage of free shipping from most of the bigger companies like Summit, Jegs and such. Then you pick up the package, pay your tax at the border and you're on your way.

12. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

dont pay it if you have the part . they are just trying to grind you ....same old shite as ups . i just shipped a fuely unit to a guy in detroit and it arrived with the intake broke in half by the last 2 holes near the dizzy. cant wait to see the crap from ups

13. beast460

beast460

if they couldn't show me in writing where i agreed before hand that i was responsible for these fees. they would promptly be told to go fuck themselves. if i didn't agree to it there is no contract.

14. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I agree lol

15. They have their own "customs brokers", it's not like they pay someone outside the courier company.

The Post Office can manage to get stuff through Customs without
    costing a fortune, why can't the big courier companies do the same thing ?

That's why I get stuff shipped by the post office when ever possible.

16. Grumbler

Grumbler

FedEx and UPS, been boned by them both. Only difference is UPS wants payment up front when they deliver or they won't hand over the parcel, FedEx sends the bill in the mail afterwards.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  17. ModelEh1931

ModelEh1931

Yep, brokerage and duties with Fed-Ex, UPS, DHL....UPS is by far the worst....go through it all the time....usually it is more money than the original shipping costs. I'm just so worn out by it now that I just suck it up and pay...if you really need something out of the U.S.A ....which is always the case with our hobby....you just have to pay.

The only piece of advice I can give is to try to have things shipped via USPS...regular mail, if you can....usually just as fast and the fees are less.

18. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Isn't he the roofing mogul? With the hot mops?

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Is it only stuff going into Canada that requires that b/s,I bought some parts from Canada and no extra costs.

20. knotttty

knotttty

I dont know how far you are from a border xing... I am about 20 minutes from one... and get all my stuff shipped to the U.S. side ... I use a place called "Ship Happens"...... then pick it up there .. go to Canada customs.. pay your tax and go....

the shipping charges within the U.S. are a fraction of what it is to ship it over the border.... my 2 cents..

Roy

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Since they spelled your name wrong, write on the envelope " Not at this address and send it back to them.

Don't tell them the mistake, just say that guy doesn't live here. :)

22. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

Run into this alot with fed ex, I have an ebay store(boat Items) and it's one price when you ship and the weight fairy always finds a way to add a couple of pounds once the bill gets there. USPS flat rate does not have this issue, and yes, bday is the way to go.

23. They dropped a package at my door with no signature. I got the same letter a few months later... <crickets chirping> This was 2 years ago. Haven't heard a thing. They can pound sand. I'm NOT their customer.

24. Were they eyeglasses?:D or shoes? ( so that I have them!)

25. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

yup, thats the thing to do.

26. Well. I guess I've learned my lesson. Don't ship with FedEx or UPS unless absolutely necessary. I've had good luck with USPS before, and they most definitely are the way to go. I don't think I would have had as much of a problem, if I had known what the fees were going to be up front, but the surprise is sure a kick in the ass.
    Thanks to Fordy and knotttty for the info on the receiving company stateside. I'll check them out for sure!
    And thanks to all of you, for letting me rant, and for joining in. Nice to know I'm not alone in getting railed.

I'll keep that in mind for next time! It's worth a try for cross boarder shipping.

I hear what you're saying loud and clear. I work in the finance industry, and I've seen how the collections agents hound people. I've also seen what one little collection can do to a person's credit rating... And yes, they have all the right info for me, except they had my name spelled wrong. Guess it doesn't help that I had the package shipped to my office, because it was 'cheaper'. lol

Fordy, God, don't remind me! I hope our dollar stays up for a long while... or at least until I get the truck finished and the Firebird sorted out. :D
    I agree with you, when possible, I go pick it up myself. A tank of gas is still cheaper than the brokerage on one part. Didn't know about the shipping/receiving company though! Someone else mentioned it on this thread, 'Ship Happens'. They sound like the way to go, and what an awesome way to take advantage of the free shipping. Live and learn I guess.

27. jipp

jipp

iv had fedex do some odd things in the past.. i do not really like to use them.. but they are one of the only shipping company's that treat guitars with any kind of respect.. always get here in great shape.. other methods not so much.. and ist sad when a guitar arrives broken due to shipping.. did not know about brokerage fee. good to know.. its every ones birthday as far as im concern as long as im not a business.. and im just joe blow.

speaking of which i have a guitar in the system.. says be here tomorrow.. but i thought fedex did not ship to houses on the weekend.. guess ill find out tomorrow if there date is correct.. if not tomorrow Monday.. new guitar to the family, yay!!!! always a good day when a new member enters the family.

chris.