Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who gets your stuff when you are gone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slefain, Sep 8, 2011.

1. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

After loosing my brother in law 2 years ago when he was 23 (we are the same age) and it being a MESS with my wifes family on who has rights to what the wife and I sat down and talked about this. I dont have any hamb cars but my most prized "car" is the Jeep my dad and bought when I was 14 and rebuilt the whole thing. I want it to go to my cousin, we are close and he spent alot of time with me working on it and off-road when we were younger. I know he will take good care of it. I have a few other cars that arent worth much, but they are to right people and all my spares will go to a local guy that is into the same cars, otherwise most of it would be scrap. Id like to see my tools get handed down to a younger family member, but none exist at this point.

2. Yep...here in is the problem..
    Hell,kids will scrap over anything that has value..

everyone here I bet has seen situations that just plain "got ugly",all revolviing around an estate.

Were all in the same boat here..we got to much shit lying around..LOL

Just this morning I had a buddy drop in who has 3 cars and 3 kids..Already told each one of them,who gets what !!!

Rick
    ==========================================

3. WrenchKitten

WrenchKitten

I'm not married and have no kids.

My brother has as much work and sweat in my truck as I do. I know he'll never get rid of the truck and would never do anything to it that I wouldn't like. I wanted to make double barrel sure that HE got it. So his name is on the title. He's also on the insurance policy.

4. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

I don't have a wife or kids so if I died 1st all my stuff would go to them. My dad said he would put all my cars in the shop and lock it up including my daily driver. I am not sure why though, must be a parent thing

5. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

6. Fatshitelivis

Fatshitelivis
    from georgia

This is some serious shit we are talking about. I lost my father two months ago. In his 60x100ft garage was a collection of finished hotrods and muscle cars worth alot of money. Growing up my sister and i use to help my father work on these rides. But when he passed there was no will and half a millon in medical bills so the state took every dang thing. So word of advice, get a will or go ahead and sign ur stuff over to tha ones that want ur stuff.

7. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

the cars will be divided among all 3 kids, they know which one gets what and they are fine with it (sometimes I think they can't wait)

8. I'm going to crush it all and be buried with it or maybe melt it down to build my shrine. ;)

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You DO have control though. I don't know why you think you don't. A will states your wishes after you die. Not caring what happens to your stuff is different then not having control.;)

10. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

OK you have a will but you have half a million in medical bills, can the state still take the stuff...:confused:
    If you give your things away before hand, I know they can't... :D

11. ottos

ottos

my g/f tells me i need a living will drawn up....i guess my sisters will get my stuff but they dont know what the hell it is so it would prolly just get sold for peanuts....

*** serious note*** you should declair value on your stuff so it isnt sold for too little if someone where to sell it ...

12. Deuces

Deuces

13. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Your stuff dont matter, your legacy does .....your dead anyway let em fight over it nothin you can do about it

14. jobbless

jobbless

I have decided that my model a goes to my kid if I should have one and they are old enough. If I have a kid that is too young, it goes to terence my best friend. And he said he would give it to my kid when they are old enough. If no kids. It goes to my mother. Should she still be around. If all three options are out terence gets to keep it. My lemans goes to terence. My charger If still not finished to my friend nino. If it is done it, and rest of the cars and everything else valerie can do what she feels with. I have been collecting forever. I would prefer the stuff be enjoyed after I am gone...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  15. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

I have seen some of the sweetest, kindest family members become the biggest jackasses.

My one GreatGrandfather died with a will. All the kids got what their father wanted them to have. Everything was civil. No fighting.

My other GreatGrandfather died without a will, and it was chaos. Fighting, bickering, hurt feelings, and people who still don't speak to eachother (it's been 10 years!).

Please make a will. Make your intentions known IN WRITING. No verbal stuff.

16. Its all in our Trust.
    Grandson's get the trains and toys.
    All the other stuff goes to our kids.

17. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

I really do not care.
    My wife thinks it is not worth much, my kids have no clue.
    My stuff is worth something to only me. After I am gone, whatever happens, happens.

18. jipp

jipp

it will go to my brother and sisters kids.. all i own is guitar stuff.. already got one a guitar for hist #1 birthday will get him a amp for christmas, and get the other newfew a guitar for christmas and a amp for his #1 birthday ( they gonna break my bank account and they not even toddlers yet, grr ).. and hope they enjoy playing with me.. my logic if im gonna be asked to babysit we better have something to do together since we have a huge age gap. in the end they can sell all my guitars to buy there first cars, pay for college.. whatever they want to do. thankfully i have enough guitars they will be able to even keep one each for them self to jam on..
    r.i.p dimebag
    you rocked my world.
    chris.

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My nephew gets ALL my cars, tools, and guitars; wife gets the house, retirement pension, Social Security, bank accounts, the 401K, and life insurance policies. I get the gravel in front of the garage/shop out back (my ashes anyway). Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Since this has been brought up, I'll chime in. I lost a brother back in 1991=devastating loss! He had a 6 yr old daughter,no wife. His daughter was technically his next of kin. Our family decided that the daughters mother would get some of his things for their daughter. The things that he and I bought together or our family would just go back to us. At the time it was kinda of a nasty deal,but I still have our truck and may give it to his daughter someday- It's in my family trust.

Which brings up a very good point. A family trust is what one could do to protect their heirs from unwanted trouble. This is a very important part of life and we all must look into it @ some point. Most of what I am caring for in this life is spelled out in a living trust.
    I have another brother that has battled bladder cancer,lost a kidney,bladder and is only using 40% of his only kidney left. he's a hot rodder,mostly a lurker,but nonetheless an enthusiast. A few years back he asked me to sell a 29 Tub which I listed here on the HAMB and it sold w/in 1/2hr. I have seen that car stripped to nothing,sold as parts, as has he=(it made him sick!) I have regretted that sale since I listed it.
    The car has been rebuilt (with many upgrades) retaining its personality when he had it and it's for sale now and I want to buy it back for him w/o his knowledge. He'd enjoy it while he can and then it would go to his 20 yr old son. I only need more $'s
    :(.
    I'll make this happen and will make sure that his son sets up a living trust when he has enough to list if I'm around.

21. When I die.......

"Prop me up behind the wheel, and bury me my automobile"

Jim

22. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I'll leave my guns and such to some third world country wanting to start a revolution, my tools to some lucky kid the wife can find working in his driveway on a cool project, my motorcycles to the highest bidder (don't want the kids on those things, bikes are dangerous! LOL) , and I'm taking my hotrod with me!

23. BINGO.....very good point here..
    Living will is good while your alive.
    need another to deal with your estate..

Ok..enough about that..I'm heading out to put labels on everythnig.
    later;
    Rick
    ======================================

24. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

My son that is in college for motorsports tech.He will have a very good idea what it is and worth and will honestly earn every bit of it.It will be his and he knows what to do.My wife gets pension and life insurance monies etc. Easy to do,they are the only family members .

25. when i die i dont care if the crusher and the trucks that haul the roll-off garbage containers are sitting in the street waiting for the coroners van to haul my dead ass out of the driveway im gonna be dead and on to MY REAL REWARD whoeever wants my crap can have it which will be noone cause no-one wants it now

26. E Burfield

E Burfield

If you plan on leaving someone a car, PUT THERE NAME ON THE TITLE! Don't tell them. And make sure you put "or" not "and". So when the pices of shit call and say well I was susposed to get this or that. It will already be over. Ask me how I know! I still get phone callls from people asking for stuff.
    Miss you papa Dave.

27. Bad news if I'd be gone. . No one I know would keep my Car, Antiques, whatever. All be pretty much sold off or maybe scrapped. I've heard of a man who wanted to be buried in his old Corvette. ---I like that idea.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All of my stuff gets auctioned off to partially settle my outstanding estate debt.

29. Offy 220

Offy 220

Excellent advice! My long story short: My dad passed away at the end of '07, my mom in June of '09. This short period between their deaths gave my middle sister and her son opportunity to "work" on my mom.

My dad and I built cars together for some 30+ years. My sisters laughed at the "junk" [in their eyes] cars we worked on. After my dad passed the middle sister got on the internet and checked values. She tried to get my mom to change the Titles from "or" to "and" so I would have to buy them out or sell and split the money with them - lucky it didn't happen!

Not sure if all Trusts / Wills can be changed after one spouse passes but in my case my mom was talked into changing hers without me knowing. I am the Trustee and I find out from the attorney that my mom changed ownership of the vintage sprint car we restored from 1/2 Dad's and 1/2 mine to be divided into 1/3's with my sisters who didn't put a dime or any time into it. I would have bought their 1/4's but paying 2/3's of something I put time and money into was not going to happen. I ended up selling it last year at the RM auction in Pebble Beach. I get a phone call early the next morning asking for her money!

Please for your family's sake get it into "plain" writing what you want to go to whom. The advice of putting the Titles into the name of who you want the car to go to is wise. My family will never be the same - sad but funny - now both sisters are fighting among themselves and they were the ones that teamed up to screw me!

Offy 220

30. Zaq

Zaq

I would like it all to sit in a garage for about 50+ years so some day wayyyy in the future (plus the fact im only 21 now, so it will be a while I hope) some kid can find it all and be inspired to start building old hot rods. Maybe have to run on solar power or hamster power by then but hey. whatever they gotta do.