Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who gets your stuff when you are gone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slefain, Sep 8, 2011.

1. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

I have talked with a bunch of people the last two years about passing on their car stuff. Reading about the upcoming auction of Lee Hartung's stuff made me think of this again. What are you guys doing about passing on the stuff you have? We aren't gonna live forever and a bunch of my older friends have either started selling off stuff or making arrangements for who gets what. I know my son will probably get most of my car stuff someday. I have spoken with a few guys whose kids have no interest at all in their cars and are just going let the kids sell everything off. I told one guy to go ahead and sell now and take a few trips around the world.

It isn't something you want to think about, but a lot of guys here have collected, cherished, and even protected important parts of our automotive past. It is one thing for someone to recognize the value of your stuff and at least have an estate sale, but it would be a tragedy if they just called in the scrappers to haul off your old "junk".

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If my cousin outlives me, he gets my GTO. My brothers will get my other cars, and my wife will get the huge pile of parts to sell off. I've made arrangements with a couple guys I know that will help her get top dollar for it in the event of my death.

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Mike Howell, Earl Schieb here on the HAMB gets Big Olds, no if, ands or butts about it. My wishes are known by my family and they are fine with it. They understand the reasoning and know that Mike would be the best caretaker for Big Olds if I go before him.

The only other things I have thats worth anything is alot of original car related artwork. I have written on the back of most of the pieces which of my friends get what. I think it's kinda cool that I can leave something like artwork to car friends to remember me by.

4. Larjk9

Larjk9

I K.I.S.S. it. Three words...All To Wife. She knows what the stuff is worth. She knows who to call in if she needs help. I'll be dead and not too concerned.

5. It wont matter, I`ll be havin` the dirt nap

6. My son Scott will get whatever I have at the time. He is a car guy. What he does with it is up to him . I'll be gone , It won't matter to me. However whenever I debate on buying something ,because I don't want to spend the money, my wife will say "Don't worry Scott will be happy to spend the money when your gone". Makes you kind of think. Carlg

7. At the ripe old age of 42, after having 6 coronary bypass grafts and reading so many posts right here on the H.A.M.B., I suspect this is how it's going to go:

1. Scrappers are going to climb my fence, invariably knocking it down. They'll claim the heaviest stuff.

2. With the fence now down, the nosy ass meter readers are going to eyeball what I have, ask for it for free, and badmouth my heirs when they don't sell.

3. Iron moths will take their cut.

4. Lastly, hopefully some QQ Moon eyed kid will politely ask whoever's left around, and they get it.

Really though, I'm with Rex: I won't really care much.

8. I plan on being out of NY in 6-7 years and will have to thin out the parts collection to fit the new habitat. I should survive until then. I have people that know what I'm sitting on and they would be welcome to come by to make my wife an offer on some or all of it in case I go first.

The model car stash is another issue... would like to thin that also to a core of 100 keepers.

Bob

9. roundvalley

roundvalley

I may have it sent to The Kewi Kev museum.

10. It will only matter to those who care! Rags

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have been thinking about this as well--have lots of parts here and there and a few cars (all are done).Wife knows the values and who to call to help sell the stuff but I may start selling some now-kids don't want the stuff.

12. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Vulture's thieves riffraffs and such - Who else has got any money when you are gone?

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I really don't care.

14. squirrel

squirrel

I don't care, but if they care they better speak up before I kick the bucket

15. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

16. My daughter gets the Model A ( when she was little she would come out to the shop with me and her brothers wouldn't.) The tools (a bunch ) will be sold to some young person that is going to Automotive or Diesel college for one dollar. The rest of the stuff the wife or kids will get rid of as they see fit.

Lee

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

my son gets all . thank god i have a good son who likes my car .......... steve

18. Won't make a lot of difference I suppose. If Mrs Beaner is still here she won't be far behind me, we plan on leaving together. After that its up to whoever finds the Will to carry out our last wishes and the stuff then belongs to them.

If you are up to the task look for the Will. It is going to be hidden someplace on the Pork n Bean ranch.

Good luck

19. This is a topic we all should take a little more serious..
    I have heard horror stories of your so called "friends" coming in and beating the wife down ,then selling his shit ..or how about the car guy who is as bad as a "ambulance chasing lawyer"..Yeah,he's the one who reads the obituaries ,then set the surviving spouse up for the kill.

Sit down with your spouse,and sort out what will REALLY happens to your stuff..Write it all down,get it witnessed and pack that piece a paper away with a copy of your will.

If you have boxes of cool stuff you want to donate to a museum or wherever,mark the boxand where it is to go.
    Don't wait for some so called friend come in and steal your shit at 10 cents on the dollar.

Of course,you ain't gonna know..so manybe it all don't matter.
    Rick

20. Each of my kids will get a 1931 Dodge Brothers business coupe of mine. As far as my "office" full of toys...who knows?

Attached Files:

21. Hey squirrel did I ever tell you how much I care for you? :D:D

Whoever that is better be a tough SOB. Mrs beaner has been my best friend since we were children, I haven't always been nice and she has never been afraid of me.

22. THECRUSTYRAT

THECRUSTYRAT

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I read this and called the wife to talk about it. She told me that she was going to cremate me and my car and spread me over the playboy estate :D

I called bs cause i know it will be a jenny craig convension:mad:

23. Thumper

Thumper

My youngest son gets it all.....he is a gearhead. The rest are dumbasses...:rolleyes:

24. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Although anything can happen, I figure I'm a little young to be dying (31) right now.

You older guys might consider taking a camcorder on a quick tour of your shop, storage, and/or field, pointing out all the good stuff and it's current value. Pass copies of the tape, DVD, CD, or digital file onto your wife or kids.

You might think about being goofy, humorous,and sentimental in the video, too, because after you're gone that video might be a valuable emotional asset to them as well.

25. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

I'd rather spend my time building my cars than worrying about shit I have no control over.

26. 4HawkRod

4HawkRod
    BANNED

My Sons will enjoy them all

Attached Files:

27. Just lost a friend of 30 yrs. and the estate is in total upheavil. Sons think they should get everything dad said they could have, The will says nope, so a little resentment to step mom of 20 yrs. Trying to do the right thing for wife, as estate is in need of money to satisfy bill collectors.(VULTURES)

28. I found a way to take all with me..........:) Na, just kidding! My gearhead kids already claimed all my sh-tuff!

29. All kidding aside guys & gals, this is something that should be taken very seriously.

My Father had (life-threatening) health problems as long as I can remember, and died recently without a will or instructions of any kind. Over the years he had signed over all but a few of the cars in his collection to me. This was very fortunate, as we found out about a huge pile of medical (and other) liens against his physical property after he passed. I didn't care about the house, but the 20 cars, as well as a comprehensive collection of manuals and dealer literature from the 1920's-70's, and a parts stash would have gone to probate and liquidated had they not been previously gifted to me.

The same goes for my Great Uncle, who also passed without a will. I was fortunate enough to secure my T-bird several years ago, but more recently got another 2 vehicles from him. Unfortunately, those that are his closest surviving relatives have assigned themselves as executors and I know they have thrown away LOADS (!!) of vintage goodies.

My point is this...make sure that the people who you're leaving your cherished items to actually want the stuff. If they don't, find someone who does. Make a basic will, have it witnessed. It's otherwise pretty difficult to sign title over after you die.

It's too easy to take steps to prevent a nightmare for those you care about.

My 2 cents (sense)

BRT

30. grey46

grey46

Not the most pleasent question but none the less a good one. Ive got advanced bladder cancer ,and have only a younger brother ,who could care less about cars and all the stuff related . He is a co-signer on all the bank stuff,getting his name on the house ,and when its time will just sign the titles. Have a couple car savy friends that will help sell off cars ,and all the other stuff. Stuff like that needs done while you can to eliminate death taxs,keep the lawyers out of it ,and eliminate stuff ending up in probate . Not pleasent but sure makes life easier for those left behind.