Register now to get rid of these ads!

My buddy's roadster - Billetproof?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INJUNTOM, Jun 10, 2011.

1. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

He just just got it on the road. Started with the rusty shell in the pics. His dad had it stashed in the shed for about 30 years.

Trying to talk him into taking it to Billetproof. Think they'll let him in?

It runs a nasty BBC, Muncie 4 spd, 4.11 9"

Attached Files:

2. Choptop

Choptop

sure we'd let that car in. Dont see why not.

3. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

What about the front wheels?

4. Choptop

Choptop

what about them?

they are shiny.... the past wasnt in black and white, nor was it dull.

from the pics they look like 60's gasser style spindle mount front wheels... is there some dark secret to them? Are the secretly out of the Billet Specialties catalog?

they are an old school style. Thats the idea.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

5. Choptop

Choptop

6. That 80s scoop and overflow is so trad.......................is that a shark being jumped?

7. Choptop

Choptop

yeah, there werent any scoops in the 50's or 60's...:rolleyes:

and the overflow tank? who here can tell from the picture if its polished billet or chromed tin? They make both ya know.

the point here is that its not modern style, and thats the whole point of Billetproof.

we never have, and never will go over every inch of a car, under the hood, crawling under it, looking for the "one" part the disqualifies it... its a style thing.

some people get waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to hung up on that. Billetproof never has been about that.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  8. VonKool13

VonKool13

Good lookin car. And I like the "80s" scoop. ;)

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

big block, tunnel ram, and whitewall slicks.

excuse me while I go make a peanut butter and mustard sandwich.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It's almost impossible to build a car in 2011 that is "100% old timey". Most cars have some concession to reliability and good road manners and the Billetproof folks have been very good about acknowledging that fact. Our cars are built in the spirit of tradition, but if you took a fine tooth comb to them you would find some shiny pulleys, overflow tanks, electric fans, HEI distributors, Edelbrock carbs instead of AFB's, etc. I think that would be the case with most every car that attends.

This is supposed to be a fun hobby, not a test of how "perfect" a persons car is or isn't..

Don

11. For once I agree with 49ratfink................only my sammich has Sriracha!
    Kirk! would be rolling over in his grave...........wait he aint dead yet!?????????????

12. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

13. Camm

Camm

That scoop is a copy a Hilborn scoop that sat on alot of Hilborn four and two hat injection. Fuel cars with Hemi's or what ever. I really don't see it being a 80 thing.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

And disc brakes date back to at least the 40's. (Kinmont)

Don

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  15. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

He's just been looking on the site where it mentions "no wheels after 1965, etc" from what he said, and his wheels are basically brand new. He just doesn't want to make the trip and not make it inside.

16. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

It's flat black - they'll take his money :eek:

17. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

While on the subject, would I be correct in assuming I'd be bounced from Billetproof if I showed up in this with these wheels?

I plan on 2 sets of wheels for the car, and would like some kind of steel wheel with pie crust style tires to run part time.

Engine is a Pontiac 428 HO with Doug Nash 2x4 designed for Pontiac in the 60s

'57 Pontiac rear, Hurst/Airheart rear discs, Mustang II

Attached Files:

18. I with Don of Don's Rod Shop here and say heck where does one draw the line?? Just my opinion,but the exhaust don't fit the whole picture of the car and needs changed before I would worry about the scoop. Out of interest,my T has aluminium water pump,sump,fly wheel cover,trans pan and to finish, an aluminium dash insert,so would I be wasting my time shipping my T up to the good old USA?

19. Choptop

Choptop

nah KIRK! isnt.

20. Choptop

Choptop

no wheel STYLES after the 50's or 60's... Those wheels are fine and would not keep the car out of the show.

we arent going to crawl under a car to check date codes on wheels that are a 50's or 60's style only to find that they were made recently. Its about the style, not the date of manufacture.

again, it always has been about the overall style and look of a car, not when a particular part was made.

here is the thing about the Billetproof rules.... Billetproof is about traditionally styled hot rods and customs. For those that dont know what that means some simple guidelines were laid down help you get in the right direction. There are some simple things that will qualify or disqualify a car at the gate. No one ever has, or will check date codes on wheels, or crawl under or in a car looking for offending parts. The rules were typed out to help those that dont know how to tell the difference between this:
    [​IMG]

and this:
    [​IMG]

thats what they are they for... thats all.

They are not to obsess over and rock back and forth at your computer monitor looking at pics of a car trying to find a part that would keep a car out and then going on about how Billetproof has changed (it hasnt, the same people that worked the gate when KIRK! owned the show are still there, at least for the CA show, the other shows the gate goons do a VERY good job).

21. Choptop

Choptop

yes you would likely be bounced. While they are a kidney bean style, they also look pretty modern. Steelies would look MUCH better anyway (IMHO).