Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Kaiser Drag'n build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NTAPHSE, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Luckily I scored the last batch of Lime Green Trinidad for my Capri, I can't find it anywhere now.

2. fatluckys

fatluckys

I've got a stash of black and silver Trinidad waiting for the right project to roll around.

3. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

ACC still has Black/Silver and Black/Gold. I even called to ask if they might have a couple of yards of blue sitting in a corner somewhere, but no luck.

4. alchemy

alchemy

OOOHH! Winfield paint and a Fatluckys interior. :)

5. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Looking good! Keep up the progress!

6. Kustom Dick

Kustom Dick
    from Finland

COOOOL!!!!

Here's my friends car. He bought this project from me several years ago and he build it. I would have liked it more chopped, just like you did!

[​IMG]

Notice the notch below the rear quarter window...

7. Racrdad

Racrdad

Now that has got to be the best idea I heard so far today! The car is so nice and unique it really deserves a high end interior.

8. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I'm doing my first interior myself right now, however I have experience with cut and sew (I design sports equipment for a living) and even then it is a challenge. Im not saying you cant do it, but there will be a learning curve. With how nice the rest of the car is...I would shop it out for sure. In all honesty, dont skimp on the interior, with that paint job it needs a quality interior.

9. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Nice! I like the dip on the beltline. I dig the later tail lights too.

10. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I appreciate the advice. My goal right now is to find someone who will do a nice job on the interior at a price I can afford, and learn something in the process. I have a couple of solid leads and will post up when something is final.

11. You're not that far away. I would consider one of the shops in TJ. All of the old stories of horse shit and newspaper stuffing and sub par materials are just that, horse shit. They are at least half the price of a similar job here. I know you may want to keep your money here in the US, but I would have no problem slapping my bucks into another man's hand for doing a good job, whether it's a waiter in Cancun or an upholsterer in Tijuana.
    Plus, while you're there, you can buy a switchblade, some Spanish Fly and get your picture taken on the zebra:D

12. nolan769

nolan769

Hey I have a 1951 Kaiser 4dr actual Dragon and I'm in the middle of restoring it. I am keeping it a 4dr and suiciding the back doors. I would chop it, but having to get everything made custom for the interior after you chop it is detering me. I am also putting in ride technologies air ride. My question is what front bumper and rear bumper did you use? Did you cut the stock ones or make a different cars fit? Love your car!!! Hopefully mine will be this nice soon.

Thanks,
    Nolan

13. jipp

jipp

thats what they did to save money in the 50s i thought?.. hop the border and get them boys to do there interior.. maybe i miss understood.. ( and who knows while their friend was getting that kustom set of duds, they picked up some blankets to temporary use till they had the cash to get there own set of threads )
    chris.

14. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Nolan, those are stock '51 bumpers flipped upside down and smoothed. The rear is also shortened and I carefully re-curved them to fit tighter to the body. Hope that helps.

BTW the interior parts are not the biggest issue with the chop, the hardest interior part is the potmetal window trim on the doors which could be welded if you find the right guy. I am trying fiberglass reinforced body filler now and will check back in with the results. I would say the bigger issues are welding the roof on correctly and making sure you can make the glass work.

15. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Man if you were close and I had the time, I would do it for cost of material and a few cases of beer...just to give you a hand with such a nice unique car.

16. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I've been mocking up the interior so I can figure out the last few parts that need to get painted, chromed, polished and upholstered.

I can't figure out how this ashtray went together. I'm going to stop by Thunderbird Connection at lunch and see if they have one I can look at. It seems like the brushed part is bent or something. Once I get it figured out I am going to make a panel for the airbag switches inside so they are out of the way and hidden.

[​IMG]

I have the springs, but the holes don't seem to line up for a screw or pin to go through.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know if T-Bird seats had this chrome trim on the inside as well? Mine just came with the outside pieces but it looks like you could put a chrome part inside near the console as well.

[​IMG]

I'm considering putting Drag'n emblems here on the seats.

[​IMG]

I'm also looking for the straight section of stainless that goes on the bottom edge of the console since I stretched mine. If I can't find one I will just cut this one and hide the gap where the seat is. I also want to align the parting lines on the painted part and the stainless part.

[​IMG]

It took three tries to assemble the seat backs but they went together pretty nicely.

[​IMG]

Not perfectly assembled, but together enough to finalize plans. The green sheetmetal part that houses the switches and ash tray is MIA. I think it might be in the scrap pile at Winfield's or something, so I got the parts to make another one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  17. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

That seat looks almost like my 65 Galaxie Xl 500 and no, there's no trim on the inside bottom.

18. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

19. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Good call. Looking at them it seems like you could take 2 drivers chrome parts and 2 passenger chrome parts and make it work. That sheetmetal around the base has all the mounting holes and is likely shared on both seats. I think I'll try it. :)

20. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Sure looks like that would work. And the buckets would look more "finished" with the trim on both sides...

21. I went with a friend, back in about 63-64 to get his 57 Ford tuck and rolled. we made sure to get a roll of good upholstery thread as we all knew they used cheap stuff that would fall apart in a week or two. We were also prepared to spend the day watching the process to be sure that the pleats weren't stuffed with newspaper or horseshit. The shop owner, who spoke very good English laughed at us. He showed us a small room, the size of a good sized closet, filled with "good thread". He said he hadn't purchased thread in years and thanked us for it.
    He also took us into the shop where there were a dozen, or so, guys busy stuffing pleats with foam, the rolls of genuine Naugahyde, stacks of burlap, cotton batting, the Singer sewing machines, etc. We saw no piles of newspaper, except the daily paper in the office, and no sacks of fresh, upholstery grade, horse doodoo anywhere. We left him with the car and walked into town, got drunk, got our puds pulled and drove home later that evening. The interior wore like iron and gave off no unusual odors

22. nolan769

nolan769

Thanks a lot for the info. It was actually very helpful as I think I am going to chop it now and keep me posted if that fiberglass reinforced body filler works. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see your car finished!! Ill post some pics of my kaiser once I get further along.

23. Sorry Keith---I told you I didn't have an ashtray.....seems I do. :eek: I *think* I might have some console trim too---which pieces was it you be needin'?
    Maybe these pics can help you put the lid back on. It's pretty simple...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Comparing your nice pics to my crappy pics again it looks like you're right on the money---those holes will line up and you'll have a 1/4 top gap and about 3/16 at the sides of the tray(top side) It looks like it won't work, but it will.
    And no, Tbirds didn't have the extra inner seat chrome(my two sets don't) ...but thanks for the idea--my project WILL have a full set (inner and outer)thanks to you

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  24. Keith, I also have one of those consoles on the shelf here. More than welcome to stop by and look at it.

25. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Thanks guys! I talked to Josh and I'm going to send the ashtray back with both parts so he can make it fit. I also cut up the stainless for the console last night and it's going to work out nicely.

26. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Progress looks good! I love the way you executed the paint on the interior. Very nicely done, tasteful.

27. Jettback50

Jettback50

So much amazing work. The dash looks so wild and is going to look great with the swich panel and console.

28. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I know a few guys have recommended the OE wheels so I only have one lug pattern, but I still like the smoothies better which only come with a multi-lug pattern. I'm thinking about going that route with either a BP cover from Rally America, or a bullet cap. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. glassguy

glassguy

those would deff be better than the oe wheels, i used the smoothie caps , and bought the bullets from night prowlers for about 5 bucks a piece, and think they look better than the cone caps.. actually has a cool old look.. maybe you can zoom in i dont have a pic of just the wheel..

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      538 KB
      Views:
  30. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Ugh, smoothies only come in 4" backspace and I need 4.5". Gonna pull a wheel and do some measuring this weekend. OE's come in 4.25", which is closer to what I'm running now. Might just have to have a set built after all.