Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass Packs in Series?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goggles, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Goggles

Goggles

Has anyone ever tried running glass packs in series? Say, long puppies up front and shorter ones at the back? I like the way my car sounds but you can't get on the throttle without attracting a lot of attention. Which can be a bad thing at times :mad: You can get really long 3 1/2" glass packs to put up front and shorter, fatter ones to put at the back. I really want to stay away from bigger mufflers under the floor. I went through three sets of under floor mufflers in 9 years from all the speed bumps and curbs around here. That's why I have no mufflers under the floor now. My car is a 1962 Cadillac. In the attached pic you can see my round mufflers hang down at the back a bit. Might be nicer to have smaller glass packs back there and under the floor. The exhaust is 2 1/2" mandrel bent.

Attached Files:

2. sdluck

sdluck

Do you have a Balance or H pipe? Years ago cars came with mufflers first then resonators(sp) they would help with sound,muffler shop should know

3. I put an H pipe on my car and it made it worse. Droned like crazy and canceled out the lope from my cam. The H pipe I used was 2-1/2". Some say it's best to have a smaller pipe for the balance pipe.. Exhaust systems are all different even between the same cars...

This winter I going to try two Walker Thrush (24214) glass packs before the rear end and then two Porters behind the rear end.... I tried the Porters by themselves in front of the rear end and it was too loud.. I may try the Porters by themselves behind the rear end like the 60s Galaxies..

I also have 2-1/2" mandrill bent pipes....

4. My Interceptor is a healthy 440, I run two turbo style mufflers and two Dynomax Bullets out back for resonators, it brings the decibles down to a much more acceptable limit.

My motorhome is a very healthy 360, it is 3" exhaust into a Y fitting, then two 3" Flowmaster 50 series mufflers, one after the other. It is actually quiet at idle, with a great sound to it when boarded, but it's not loud.

I like tandem mufflers for noise control.

5. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I had 4 on my 39, long ones up front and short fat ones in the rear, it softened the sound a lot and sounded great, but the visibility of the rear packs MADE me take them off.

The packs in series will make a huge difference in volume without killing the "glasspack sound".

6. sickytwisted

sickytwisted

I wouldn't change anything. Love me the sound of some good old glass packs. Actually, if it wasn't so annoying for me to hear inside the cab, i'd run straight pipes on everything. I love that "scare the poop back into a doggy's behind" sound.

7. TomWar

TomWar

in 1960 on my 36 coupe/ Chrysler Hemi, I welded 2 24" steelpacks together on each side. it was Quiet. The law in Calif at the time really cracked down on noise.

8. Deuces

Deuces

I had 2 Cherry Bomb header mufflers and California turbos on my '69 Z/28... It sounded pretty good while I had it..

9. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

What is this thing about "loud" hot rods as of late? , best I can recall, a "hot rod" is supposed to be loud , obnoxious , and a "rebel" if you will, if you're worried about the decibel police , mabye you should think of trading the HOT ROD for a toyota...:D

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Funny enuff i just removed my cocktail shaker mufflers from my exhaust, y'know the bike mufflers, much like a glass pack, to reduce noise and put 2 mufflers instead.
    The funy part is that its only quiet at idle, as soon as i accelerate its loud again....go guess!

Ratrodude, where i live i get the slips confiscated for straight exhaust and fined for loud modified, or just modified forthat matter, and i can guarantee ya that between a non loud cool car and no car at all i know which one to chose.

11. Deuces

Deuces

I had to put the Turbos on it!! I got a noise ticket for having header mufflers on it and 2 foot of pipe.. :mad: Once I did that, the cops ripped up the ticket and said "Have a nice day" :rolleyes:

12. Goggles

Goggles

Thanks for all the responses and ideas. Yes, I have a balance pipe. Photo attached. It is kind of hard to get one in an ideal place on the Caddy because of the X-Frame. It did smooth out the idle though. I've also attached a link to a video so you can hear it. The cam is new as is the TKO 600 so I am taking it pretty easy in the video. There is also a video called Jazzin the Gas which is also my car.

Like a lot of you guys say, it sounds good at idle but when you really get on it it is way over ticket level. I'd like to be able to walk on it now and again without getting busted because the feds heard it before they saw it. Also, it is a heavy car and takes a bit off a prod to get going so makes more noise than a much lighter car. I night just try some glass packs up front and leave my round mufflers at the back. The picture of the exhaust is from before the recent resto and TKO install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAc0_vMgxrM

Attached Files:

13. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

I have run back to back glass packs (say that five times fast) on a couple of different vehicles. It was almost too quiet and defeated the purpose. The last was a 401 powered CJ and it sounded a lot like a single set of Thrust Turbo style mufflers.

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Why not just run a LONG glasspack? Brockman Mellowtones will make you a muffler as long as you like, within reason. I believe I used a pair almost 4 ft long on a big block car I did, still sounded DEEP, but was relatively quiet for glasspacks.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I haven't heard it, but I couldn't help noticing it. Think the 'Arrest Me Red' might be a factor... LOL

Beautiful '62 Kitty, BTW...

16. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

i run strait pipes so i wouldn't know.

gotta love mississippi.. thinking of changing my duals out
    and run 8 straits to the back.

why? cause i can.

17. My flathead 6 has two each side some 20 inch chery bombs and some 15 inch what ever the shop had I drove it a week with just the bombs and it was way to loud now it is nice and mellow but loud when ya realy get on it

18. wisdonm

wisdonm

If you get a noise ticket, go to court and fight it. Ask the cop "How many noise tickets, he personally, has recently written for Harleys?". Ask to see his ticket book for proof. Then ask the judge to dismiss your case for discrimination and unequal enforcement of the law.

19. jipp

jipp

cant help you on the noise, but will say i love your arrest me red caddy.. that is sex on candy man. also, quite the interesting engine. nice ride :)
    chris.

20. Goggles

Goggles

The problem is that they are bringing in a noise bylaw here BECAUSE of all the Harley's running around with straight pipes. I don't want to get wrapped up in that mess. I like a good strong sound but I still want to pound it now and then.

21. In case you haven't noticed... there are a ton of "loud and obnoxious" Toyotas and Hondas running around now... with 6" fart tips.

I wouldn't mind chipping in for a proper muffler for most of them... out of my own pocket.
    YACK!

22. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Sweet EFI setup. And yes to answer you original question, glass packs in series will help quiet down the exhaust. This is in essence what a resonator does. It's just an inline glass pack before the main muffler. Helps reduce the "bark" a bit.

23. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I have no idea if its the same in the States and Canada, but over here bikes have diffrent exhaust noise regulations.
    Basically, a bike can be way louder than a car b4 entering the ticket range.

24. 62droptop

62droptop

62 coupe, the glass packs in series will do it for you
    i run them back to back on my english cars a they sound great
    like others said,it will mellow it out a bit
    i think if you add a quality glass pack up front under the floor( i put cherry bombs on my motorhome and would never use them again,for sound reasons) and it will do what you want
    if you do put some on the rear too,you should be able to tuck them up pretty discreet with just a tip showing

sweet car dude

25. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

My friends brother was running series "orange peelers" in his 72 Chevy Pickup , had nice deep mellow-ish tone . BTW small block engine .

26. Glass packs all burn out eventually. I've got 4 older glass packs on one of my sbc powered pickups. If there was room, I'd probably add 2 more. It's still louder than my 455 Bonneville with Super Turbos.

27. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

I have a 31 coupe with a stroked 351W with 2-1/2" pipes and cheap Summit racing chambered mufflers. This thing has a great "Steve McQueen Bullet" sound but much louder, and I love it.