Register now to get rid of these ads!

You've got too much junk, don't you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 6, 2011.

1. threeston

threeston

the universe was built for hoarders, too much stuff? not enough space? space is expanding all the time.

and for all the stuff thats truly junk, car shows always need more of those trophy things right? ye old cam and rods prize on the cracked ring gear flex plate.

last year I found myself for a moment visiting the town scrap bin for pieces to "save". I havent been back for a long time, but I do admit, the idea of prospecting still gets my mind going. one day at a time.

2. fbama73

fbama73

I've been trying to sell off some of my musclecar-era Ford stuff to make space and disposable funds for the Chevy. Problem is, around here, people want to pay less than the scrapyards, and shipping is a PITA. If it were small parts, it would be different, but a whole car and blocks and heads... yeeccchhh

3. A week ? It only took you a week? Ive still got stuff I havent moved from my parents farm . and Ive been gone 38 years. We moved 5 miles to this corner 8 years ago and I still have 50 vehicles 3 sawmills two packed school buses, a tractor, motor home and 4 bulldozers to move from our old place:eek: . I had some motorcycles too but some thief moved them for me :mad:. I dont know the answer? Heck for the most part I cant see the problem:confused:. Old Wolf

4. Lild

Lild

When we moved I left all my stuff in boxes to sell at swap meets this summer. Been sittin on a shelf doin nothing. Might as well get rid of it.

5. Had a Hudson friend pass away several years ago. He was 84. His wife preceded him in death by three years. He was THE Hudson expert, bar none, within 1000 miles! They had no children, so there was no one to leave his stuff to. His shop had a nearly-restored '26 Hudson, a '53 in the same condition, a gorgeous '53 Hornet coupe he drove nearly every day, plus several other vehicles and all of his tools and LOTS of stuff. On the day his stuff was auctioned off, it was so sad to see. Naturally, the Hudson guys were there (including me) to score whatever bargain we could. Needless to say, things went for pennies on the dollar! That restored '26? $5K. The '53 Hornet near completion? Just $2,400! And BOTH were concours-style builds! The coupe was willed to another Hudson guy. But all his Hudson parts, books, parts cars, and all went incredibly cheap. Great for the buyers, obviously! Everything sold to pay off the taxes and such. But again, it was truly sad to see what was, go.

You can not take it with you. No matter what you do. When you die, that's it. If you have family, was dying with all that worth it? Granted, you might die this afternoon, next year, or in 2055. Think about it.

Yes, there is such a thing as "too much stuff". And it was very difficult for the executor of his estate, as everything took over a year to complete. I guess it would be easier, as there was no family to leave the estate to. Certainly better than the State getting their hands on it!

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I moved two years ago, still have stuff stashed at a friends house, BUNCH of blocks, rear-ends, trans, 2 cars, ect at my dads house.

7. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I stayed away from the car thing after I got out of it 30+ yrs ago. I only had 2 Harleys and my Ranchero (plus my daily driver). Picked up my 57 about 4 yrs ago and it was like I never missed a beat. Filled up my 2 1/2 car garage, a 1 car garage, the laundry room and the back bedroom where I'm building a new Y-Block for my 57. I may have too much junk, but I'm lovin' it.

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yes, especially the lights and grills, holy hell! PM me if the extras don't all sell. I'd like a shell in that condition.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's even worse when you have to go to the junk yard you hauled the part or parts car to and buy a part back off it.

But "Hello, my name is Rob and I have way too many parts that I really don't have a need for except to have them stashed away."

I keep saying that if the part isn't for a project that I have going right now I am going to get rid of it but that hasn't happened yet.

10. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I keep the parts for the current project. All extra doo dads get hung on the wall or boxed up for a 3 times a year swapmeet blowout. It all goes and it starts all over.

11. I have been trying to get rid of junk, but it seems to keep piling up. I still have a long way to go...Maybe I should have built a smaller shop so I couldn't store so much...

12. ironpile

ironpile

I try to not admit I`m part of this group but I am.I purge regularly but the garage is too full of good stuff to work in comfort.

13. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I told the wife to sell it all for a buck when I die.
    Thats right, dont worry about what I paid, dont worry what its worth, a buck.
    The only caveat is ya gotta take it all.

14. It's not hoarding,I can quit any time.

15. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Yep Been buying and selling for years,Things are slow,Last month bought alot of toys ,They arent moving,So inbetween working on my frame,Ive been customizing the toys,I guess its just mental boredom and part stupidity ,Im just glad Im never gonna move,I hope Garage is just the way I want it,Its set up as a shop.

16. autobilly

autobilly

Take heed, there's a lesson there.

17. Smokey2

Smokey2

Admitten IT !.........Is, Givin' UP.

I Can find room fer that '40 Merc Cunt-vert-ible (Ha! )

Smokey also

18. seatex

seatex

The more I think about it, you just cant have too much stuff, just not enough room..............

19. Yes. Too much junk makes me happy!

20. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

21. CANS01

CANS01
    from Illinois

Ah.... See this everyday six days a week. We run a truck rental agency.... Six years in this business and wow everyone has a lot of stuff. guilty myself.

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would hate to move from the house I am in,my mom and dad bought it in 62 and there is still stuff in here from day one. The garages are full too but since I got a computer I have been selling the extra parts for vehicles I no longer own but have a bunch for the ones I still own,if I were to move I think I would have a auction to get rid of alot of this junk.

23. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

for some reason I'm saving the 4" roof pieces from my model A when I chopped it 20 something years ago,I think I have moved them 10 times

24. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I moved four years ago come Thanksgiving and I'm still moving stuff from the other farm. Anybody want to help move an upright piano that's still in the old house?

25. a guy asked if i had filled up that new 25 x50 building . the third on the property ...
    i said "filled ? heck no i have about 3 feet yet to get to the the rafters"

for 25 years i had been a picker but for the last 13 have hardly sold much
    i am getting better only attend /buy at 3-4 auctions a month

oh yes we have dumpster now being quite cut throat about pitchin stuff too we took a lot- 2 truck loads - to auction to sell recently and it did not even not give away...so that things are worth somethings is sketchy now

i am allowed to remove /reclaim only 1 item per month its picked up weekly i watch the process now before it gets in there

we have gone 2 generations and folks do not buy like they used to except on tv?

wish i could get my truly old stuff to california -vegas or east coast ?

have not tried ebay or craigs list either ???? hmmm

now occupying my time on here so thanks i guess

dig a bigger hole i'll take it with me.................

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  26. CANS01

CANS01
    from Illinois

It is not just guys, cars, etc. I have seen both men and women pack up way to much but that is my opinion..... You name it, our trucks has been hauled just about everything one could imagine. Seen many families make multiple trips cross country gathering up their stuff. Watched one person unsatisfied they didn't fill the truck so the drove around around town looking for free stuff to fill the truck up. Then bought a junk car to tow behind the now filled truck and filled it to..... Seven years is longest anyone has admitted to having stuff in storage .....paid monthly mind you.

27. define "too much"
    if it means you have cars and parts on 2 seperate sides of town and parts in your basement and other rooms of your house and soo much stuff in your "garage" you cant walk into it and have to work on your current project out in the weather and are allways looking for more .... then yep i gots too much

28. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

I started laughing when I read your 12 step program. My wife asked what was so funny. I told her what the OP wrote and read your 12 steps. She said "did you write that?"
    I've been told I have too much stuff.
    Besides the house being kind of full I have two sheds, two 2 1/2 car garages, two enclosed trailers (8X24 & 8X20), a camper, 1/3 of my buddy's barn full. Plus what sits outside. Some of it is related to my business, some is part of my petroliana collection, some is for future projects, and some is for sale. None of it is what I would consider junk.
    I can think of several cars and allot of parts I either scrapped (back when scrap prices were low) or gave away that I wish I still had.

29. Oldb

Oldb

Sore subject.

B

30. We are moving next weekend - don't even want to start on the garage and tools yet. That will be the last thing so I don't get a mouthful if the moving van has to take several trips whet the house stuff (furniture,boxes etc) may take two trips at the most.

:)

Moving is the biggest pain. Ever.