Register now to get rid of these ads!

Portholes in front fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasolinescream, Sep 6, 2011.

1. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

I've been toying with the idea of some portholes. Not a thing seen on any UK cars of the past and i wondering can they be bought anywhere. I know of stick on ones but they are just plain wrong.
    Does anyone know where i could possibly get some, does anyone have any, could i make them from something?
    Any ideas or leads to what i could do would be great.

Many thanks Dan

2. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Portholes on anything but a Buick are so wrong on so many levels. Just one reporter's opinion, of course...

3. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I hope your shitting us

4. cederholm

cederholm

x2!!

5. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

I was asking where i could get some or ideas on what i could do as regard to making some.Not if folks like them or not or what i should or should not be doing with my car. However as you've expressed your opinion, you may be right, you may be wrong, to be honest i don't know until i see them taped on the car for an idea to see if i like them or not. As i said i was toying with the idea. If i don't like them and they look horrible they'll become more wall art, if i do they'll go on. May be a bad idea, probably is but one of things i want to see what it looks like. Thanks either way and i'll bear your thoughts in mind.

Thanks Dan

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He beat me to it but that was my exact thought. Maybe it would be ok if the car did have a nailhead Buick under the hood but other than that it's just a bit tacky to me. More like, look what I found at the wrecking yard and stuck on my car.

But sometimes you can't save a guy from making his own source of humiliation.

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Sorry, I disagree.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burbank Choppers member Sandy Wachs' Ford pickup utilizes portholes in a subtle and unobtrusive fashion!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  8. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

I would check the US eBay under vintage auto parts. Get the real deal, if you can..I`ve seen them there quite often.

9. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Ya, I don't care for them much, but I've seen them on early customs in some of the 'little' books. So you could say they are traditional. I think the thing that spoiles them today is all the plastic stick on junk port holes you see. Normal Norman

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

They are on a Buick for a reason.

"When Dyna flows."

11. manya1

manya1

Check out oldbuickparts.com I think I seen em' there.

12. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

What are you putting them on? Post up a picture of your car on the photoshop thread and see what they come up with.

13. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

They use them on the record holding "Salt Cat" Buick straight 8, injected, turbocharged powered Jaguar that holds a ton of records at Bonneville in the vintage engine classes so they must be good enough to run 190 mph

14. F&J

F&J

I saw a junked 46-48 Chevy convertible out in the woods about 25 years ago; it had some kind of old aftermarket portholes on it. They were not Buick ones.

15. Wow when are some you guys going to quit trying to build every ones cars for them . This is a personalization hobby . If you like it build it , and every other person should shut the F###K up . Who gives a rats ass if you dont like it . HE DOES !

16. Can you just get an image of some from the web, print them out, cut them out and tape them on your car to see how they look? An easy and cheap way to see IMHO.

Also, for some of you shouldnt it be only portholes on Buicks and ships??

17. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

As do i, disagree that is...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Clik

Clik

Yeah, but you need them to vent battery gas ;).

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

They could work. Of course placement would be an issue. Put 'em where they would belong if it was factory. But also remember, the guys who hang out at Pep Boys have kinda made 'em cheesey for everyone.

Functional would be awesome!

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

ok , its another "its your car, do what you want thread"

21. Special Ed

Special Ed

Subtle and unobtrusive? Really? You consider chrome against a dark color, subtle? That's about as subtle as a chrome drawer-pull grille, and/or canted quads....:rolleyes:

22. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

but this picture is a perfect example of "just because you can doesn't mean you should"

23. rick finch

rick finch

Excess is good? Uh......no.

[​IMG]

24. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

It's a traditional modification, in a traditional mindset. I say it's A-ok. Back in the day people were trying to have cars people couldn't recognize. What better way to throw people off than taking something exclusive and putting it on something else.

I'd try to find some pre-'57 Buick ones. They look better because they're sort of frenched into the body, like in the pic with the truck that had canted quads. The '57 Buick ones just rest on top of the body, basically. I have a set I'd be willing to part with if you're interested in going that route.

Good luck.

25. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

No, the picture is a perfect example of, "its my car and I dont give a shit what you think", im just sayin... Open up some little books, and I mean little books of the 50's and 60's not the garbage of today.

Excessive?? I dont think so.

26. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

27. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

I was born in 1947 had a lot of cars, and saw a lot of hot rods and customs over the years. Somethings done to them I liked, somethings I didn't like. It's the same today, if I like it, good chance it made it on my car, if you like what I did fine, if you don't...... keep it to yourself...... OK.......:cool:

28. I once saw a '40-'41 Ford pickup with three '50-ish Buick portholes per side added to it. I think it used to be a fairly popular dress-up thing people did, if not necessarily a traditional custom touch.

Where to buy them? Probably off a Buick parts car. Look at some pictures, pick a year, and start looking -

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Yup, exactly

it might not be my thing, but that doesnt mean i have to jab at it

30. bc5391

bc5391
    from Tucson AZ

Sold a set for a 52 buick roadmastrer about 2 months ago on ebay.