Register now to get rid of these ads!

You've got too much junk, don't you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 6, 2011.

1. squirrel

squirrel

I got rid of twenty some tons of "stuff" last year, but there's still so much more. I probably couldn't move to another house, if I had to.

2. Thumper

Thumper

I got more shit than the elephant pen at the zoo.....:eek:

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I realized that there was no point in holding onto something wasn't going to be used on a car that I don't have. So everything currently has a place on an upcoming build. Now do I have 1 or 2 too many cars? Yeah that's probably the case.

4. I only purge my stash of stuff when I need to make room for another car I want to bring home and put in the garage. Then I am forced to evaluate each piece with the criteria "which do I want more...this piece or the car?" I am currently knee deep in this process again. I just moved 1 1/2 years ago...how did this much stuff get into my garage...again?

5. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I sold 23 tons of metal out of my back yard this year. Of course the price of scrap went up after I finished!

6. Old&Low

Old&Low

I have too much 'stuff' only cause I have too many 'projects!' Will I get rid of some of them? Hell no, I just plan on living til I'm at least 150 so I have time to finish'em all!

7. Deuces

Deuces

How do you know???...

8. i try to keep stuff to a minimum... and everything i keep has a reason for keeping, if it doesn't get used, it gets sold, or recycled...

9. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

I own a 5 bedroom 2 story house built in 1895 with a detached 2 car garage with shop that has been in my family for 5 generations. Every generation saved junk and piled it in the 3 atttics and upstairs storage of the garage. I have spent the last 4 years slowly going threw it all and getting rid of stuff. Its crazy the stuff people save. I literally threw out 6 full boxes of christmas cards dated from the early teens through the 1980's.

The Garage rafters are filled with airplane parts, archery stuff, wood working stuff. I'm evidently the first car guy in the family. Why couldn't my ancestors have left some cool car stuff in the garage instead of this junk?

Please people! Get rid of your junk before you die! Don't make your ancestors do it! Help a guy out, will you?

10. Cheeco

Cheeco

Theres more room when the empties are gone-but I'll replace THEM !

11. Old&Low

Old&Low

I think this is a reasonable 'rule of thumb' to go by! When stuff is piled on top of stuff, you know it's too much stuff . . . . Then you put up another building!

12. Deuces

Deuces

Those old Christmas cards would have been worth something... :rolleyes:

13. Deuces

Deuces

Maybe I should sell off my Holley carb collection... :confused::eek:

14. squirrel

squirrel

All my junk is gonna be worth something, some day. Isn't that how I got into this mess in the first place?

15. Deuces

Deuces

True!... I myself am a packrat.. I got so much shit in the garage, I can't walk in there without moving shit out of the way... :eek:

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

Jive Bomber, I just moved (this weekend) from 720 sq feet to 400 sq foot. All I did was empty the organized space and load the garage, without organization. Needless to say, it's filled from wall-to-wall.

17. i have been accused of having too much stuff...by the same people that call when they need something, or a part that's hard to find, or a tool that would make their life easier.

18. About fell out of my chair on that one. Reminds me of my wife. She buys that kind of shit (if I let her) and no matter how much of it she accumulates she never seems to realize that we have drawer after fucking drawer of the stuff and she never uses it except when people are coming (which is hardly ever) and she needs to knock down our 'smells' by burning it. LOL

I was watching that hoarders show the other night. This one lady had an over accumulation problem in her house. She took the people down into her basement and there was an entire area cluttered full of unused organizational products (plastic bins, containers, etc). See the irony there? :D But what made it even funnier to me was that my wife loves to do the same damn thing! I bumped her and said, "Hey honey, she's got those plastic bins like you!". LMAO

19. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I have lived in my house since 94. My kids are gone, and it is me and 2 dogs. I have considered moving, but man its thoughts like this thread that make me want to stay.

I got alotta stuff. Maybe a dumpster in the drive would make things easier.

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I still got that spare room downstairs, but yo'll have to bring along your pole barn..mines full:D

21. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

I have a crazy collection of car and motorcycle magazines that I can't for the life of me seem to part with. drives my wife nuts and a 2 stall garage that is full of my car stuff. I come by it naturally my grandmother had to open an antique shop because she couldn't stop buying stuff and my parents house has a stall and a half garage you literally can't walk through.

22. E Burfield

E Burfield

One of my buddys pasted away and left me everything! Only half way done with the clean up. 23 cars and 84,392 pounds of stuff went to scrap. And my 40 x 60 building is over full. Please realize we are all guilty.

23. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

When my brother moved to Alabama a few years ago he had to put a dumpster in the driveway and fill it. I was taking stuff out of the dumpster as fast as he was filling it. I came home with a banjo rear, two ford front axles, a drive on car ramp, lights, lever shocks, wide fives, etc.,etc...my truck looked like Sanford and Son driving away. Good thing I kept all that good stuff; a couple years later my brother asked if he could have one of the front axles and the wide fives wheels back.....:rolleyes:

24. skull

skull

You've got too much junk, don't you?

NEVER!:D

25. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Best bet is too hang on to everything you've got. Otherwise, one of these days you'll be looking for something that you threw away. Never fails. Besides, A&E Network is always looking for people to profile on its Hoarders show.

26. Deuces

Deuces

Have they ever featured a hotrodder on that show???

27. weez

weez

I've moved myself 3 times in 3 years, and moved my parents once last year. I've whittled my stuff down each time and haven't gained much, but I still have people tell me they amazed at how much stuff I have. It's all relative I guess-

I have REALLY re-evaluated the idea of how much you have, what you need, etc.
    Geez, I hope I can stay in one place for a while this time!

28. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

As one of the older HAMB crowd ...
    I have lived in my current home for over 30 years.

SO ...

I have come to the realization that I will never live long enough to use all the stuff. About 20 years ago, I purged most everything not 1932 Ford or parts to go on then current projects. I sold a half a dozen cars/trucks and had a pocketful of $$$ for a while. :)

I need to purge again.
    I have been slowly selling some 1932 Ford stuff. No one needs over a dozen 32 headlights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am keeping a " few " spares ... in case I need to replace something damaged on the 3W or the roadster ...
    But I am finished with 1932 Fords ... for myself. :eek:

What I do not need ... as a spare is going to Charlotte AutoFair in the spring.

I had over 100 ( yes one hundred ) factory Chevrolet aluminum High Performance intakes ( most with the correct carbs ) but sold them off ... in the past 3 or 4 years.

[​IMG]

My wife and I have no children to leave this junk to ... and she can handle a checkbook a LOT BETTER than dealing with this old stuff ... so

Yes, I have too much stuff.

29. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Well yes, but I'm going to have a garage sale before I move and then try selling stuff between now and then. I'm working on narrowing my collections. I've got way too many project cars, but that's why I've got a lot for sale. Oh did I mention that I just got a few boxes of odds and ends this weekend and another truck? It's a sickness, but truck will get sold soon and there was metal in the boxes for the scrap pile. It's really not so much that I have too much stuff, just not enough space and not enough time.

30. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well don't forget about your son Jeffrey James up here in Huntersville. He could use some of your spares:D:D:D:D

Lots of nice stuff there for sure!!