Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Why is it that there arn't very many cars that are painted in all metal flake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoadFarmer, Sep 4, 2011.

1. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

We painted our 62 bird in a heavy metalflake and the way the light falls on the car makes it look good and bad. The chips reflect the light at different intensity at different angles and sometimes the effect is less than impressive. But, I like metalflake, and on most cars if the painter knows what they are doing, it looks good. When the light is right...it is amazing!

Attached Files:

2. hmm....glad i started this thread...lots of usefull info. I figured itd be hard to match....but never thought about the flaking issue. I know a paint job like I'm talking about would cost big $$$, but I want to drive the car, not keep it in an enclosed trailer everywhere I go. Maybe I'm better off with just candy red w/no flake. I dont want to do only the roof in flake I feel like that's being done alot.... This is the color I was thinkin about.......
    [​IMG]

3. Chips in the paint I can handle....that's going to happen in any paint. But is flaking a common occurance with heavy flake paint jobs?

4. I like metal flake !!!! It is very time consuming to do plus all the materials needed to do it adds up fast if your doing a complete car. If you add in some art work it can realy accent all the body lines especialy in low light.

Rick Erickson

Attached Files:

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Personally i'm not a lover of the big flake, My 32 is mini flake, still very bright in the sun.

[​IMG]

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Do you want people to see your car? Or do you want them to see the paint job? Boats, who cares. Nobody is looking at them for inspiration you cam apply to that 53 Ford.

7. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Back in the day, you had no choice but to use lacquer. When lacquer is applied thick enough, it's just a matter of time that the lacquer shrinks and starts to craze. With today's modern poly paint systems, it's not a problem when done properly.

You can look at all the 25 yr old flaked bass boats in polyester that may be faded but they won't be crazed unless they screwed up from the start.

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

It only flakes off if the prep work is incorrect. Prep it right and it will be the same as normal paint.

9. Gator

Gator

A lot of valid points above, but another reason is that it's easy and cheap(er) to just flake the roof or panel.

Even the most rusted out shitbox usually has a straight, decent roof. Take your run of the mill more-door beater, add some whitewalls, mexican blankets, stripe it, flake the roof and voila!!! Instant Kool Kustom Kemp on the cheap. I'm not knocking it, just saying.

Matter of fact, we flaked the roof on my old Buick (Jaker's now) to give it a little 'pop'. It was just too plain and 'Do-Wop Betty Boopy' when I got it. Quick and easy update with minimal cost and effort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Kerry67

Kerry67

I say flake the hell out of it. LOVE flake.

11. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Jesus H titty fucking Christ in a sidecar! Next time you see me punch me in the face for missing that. The only excuse that I can give is that I was very, very drunk;)!
    Paul

12. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah, I forgot to add as I mentioned earlier flake is not for everybody. That's why I like it. Especially in a sea of satin black.
    Paul

13. outlaw256

outlaw256

ric sis is right . paint back in the day is not like todays paint.one good thing to come out of all this tech crap is the quality of paint is way better today.making it easier to use and do any type of graphic with.and if prepped right will last forever.and with a heavy flake or any car with a lot of clear sun and drastic temp changes is hard on the paint job.but if you keep a good grade of wax on it i think that is a good part of keeping the paint alive and well.as far as it being guawdy, not no more than some of the pin stripping or shape of some of the flames ive been seeing.but to each his own.i like flake, but it doesnt always fit the car.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the biggest reason is that the number of guys who can really put it on perfect is somewhat limited and you see way more bad flake jobs than outstanding flake jobs. It's just damned hard to do a whole car and have the flake lay perfect all the way around. But put it in as an accent in the panel between chrome strips or on a roof and it looks outstanding. I have to agree that most flake jobs overpower the rest of the car and you remember the flake but you don't remember a thing about the rest of the car. You might remember the little Black 51 Chevy coupe with the wide whites, Astros, red and black roll and pleats and red flake roof but at the same time you will barely remember details about the Green flake 50 something Chevy???? that was too cars away from it except that it was all flake.

In the area I live in it is so overdone on the lowriders that other car guys pass on it for the most part. In this area it is a lowrider trademark to most car guys.

Add in the expense for the materials, expense of having someone do it right and the fact that there is a low chance that one can repair any damage and match the original paint and you have the other reasons that you don't see on whole cars painted with it.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There was a fully flaked caddy at the show I was at yesterday. Mint green body, with a dark green roof. I didnt shoot any pics, because the car didnt appeal to me that much, but it wasn't because of the paint, it actually looked pretty good. I just dont get that excited about stock late fifties boats that are just lowered and painted.

16. slammed

slammed

Because you are a muscle car guy?

17. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I do. In fact I'm not even that worried about the lowering part. Would you care to tell Larry Watson that lowered and painted do not a Kustom make?
    Even if it's a mild Kustom?:rolleyes:
    Paul

18. dv8

dv8

I like mine...and it was a much cheaper paint job than the House of Kolor one on my coupe....I guess it's who you have doing the work.

And...I think the paint looks much more impressive at night, while under a street light... it glows!

[​IMG]

19. Deuces

Deuces

'cause the '60's came and went....

20. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

I like big flake. When my "A" is done, it'll be in big friggin' bass boat flake:p

It ain't yours, and I don't care ;)

21. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Not in my little world they didn't.

dv8, that signature freaking killed me:D
    Paul

22. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

my dads 55 chevy used to be all red metal flake and i had a few pick ups that where flake.the stuff either looks great or horrible.depends on how much clear and wet sanding you do.it chips very easily and is difficult to repair.if you get hit, plan on painting a whole side of the car to hide the damage.my brother ran over a metal flake truck box we had drying in the sun and it never really matched after it was repainted.it's cool as hell for dashes and interior trim but i don't think i would do a whole car again.

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I love that stuff......

Attached Files:

24. That's the car that made me want to do it! Thanks Jeff....never had those pics

25. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Some like it, some don't. As mentioned paint has moved on alot and the cars, older cars, i see here , all look top shelf. Maybe we don't get the UV rays some of you do? Here's to a shit tan and shiny, craze free paint jobs.

EDIT..To be honest can i have the hot weather, girls with no clothes on, cool cars, split rubbers, crazed paint job and cracked interiors.

26. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I can dig it.

And I agree with KripFink.... my car is Watson inspired. OR its headed that way. Lowered and paint is all it needs.

You dont dig 50s cars lowered with kustom paint? I guess there goes about a 1/3 of the HAMB.

27. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

28. dv8

dv8

Thanks! That's a true story! :)

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I did.:eek: Well, or at least those who worship at the shrine. That was why I left the geezer group...:D:rolleyes:

Yuppers. Dont like bogus, slow "gassers" either, that takes care of another third right there. Field is gettin' pretty narrow, isnt it?:eek::rolleyes: If its any consolation, most "low & slow" types probably dont like my cars either. But I dont lose a lick of sleep over it...

30. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

the main reason is the cost and skill to pull it off.. the ones who cant afford it say how gawdy it is and how much they love there rustoleum paint job.. but it always comes down to money.. doesnt seem like many on here spend the money for quality paint work..