Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nostalgia Super Stock set-up help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HatGuy, Sep 3, 2011.

1. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

The 60 foot times on the last two runs were 1.89 and 1.96...finally got out to the truck.

2. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

Thanks, lots of it to do!

3. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

Perfect, thank you!

4. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

Wow, that's a lot to digest. I would like the number for the SS springs. We are committed to this thing, and we want to do it right. We will have a chance at the Duck Drags to try different combinations and I hope to sort some of this out.

We went with the Hurst tires primarily because they cut us a deal, but we are open to alternatives as long as they remain true to the goal of staying with the Nostalgia thing. You really think the Radirs are better?

That's the first I have heard about the pinion snubber. Take it out huh?

If you have a chance, PM me and I will update you on the progress.

Much Thanks!

5. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

Its a great adventure isn't it!? As far as the diet goes, it seems there are 3 or 4 groups trying to organize to sanction Nostalgia Racing, not including the NHRA. Most of them require the car to have the full interior including in tact dash and even carpet. We may try to find some aluminum sheet metal at some point, but that is probabely a pipe dream...doubtful any exists. The pumpkin work is a given, just a matter of how deep to go and whether to go limited slip or spool it.

With all this response, we may post an update thread as we go along.

Thanks for the post and the compliments.

6. ETwagon

ETwagon
    from Arizona

I still build my stuff right out of the 1975 Direct Connection bible....

6 cyl. torsion bars

Upper control arm snubber trimmed for maximum rise.

90/10 front shocks (the caltracs are the best out there)

S/S springs with correct pinion & shackle angle. (if this is right an adjustable snubber is not necessary, save your money)

Longest hydraculic rear shocks (I find NOS ones cheap on ebay)

Replaced rear shackle rubber bushings with stiff urethane ones . You'd be amazed how much binding there is with the stock rubber compaired to the urethane.

The old Direct Connection book had info on modifying front suspension components to keep the alignment correct from the launch on. I never did this and it shows in my photo.

Every little thing adds up!

What front steel wheels are you running on your Polara?

* My former wagon. Out of the box 360/380 HP small block crate motor. 12.49 / 106. Best 60 foot 1.66 *

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. we also removed as much weight as possible legally removed sound deadner and caulking any wires ,bolts and nuts that were not needed and re-positioned the weight in the rear as needed to make min weight for the class

8. storm king

storm king

Radirs, acording to them, are real race tires that look like the old pie crust slicks (sorta, IMO, they still don't look as cool as the old M&H's) made for them my M/T. Hurst are good tires- for LOOKS, and the folks at Hurst, and many more on the HAMB that have tried using them on real race cars, will tell you they simply don't hook up. Hurst doesn't claim they are race tires, only that they are made the same way they were in the old days, but with a better carcass to start with, and that they are "good" tires.

9. drag_punk

drag_punk

Can't wait to see the changes and updates in the future!

10. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like you spent a lot of time getting that all together.

The front wheels came from Wheel Vintiques. We had a set of Police Rallys and wanted a set of narrow front tires on the car. They do repop Police Rallys so I contacted them and they welded together a set of PR centers on 4.5" rims. I can't say enough good things about those folks!

Attached Files:

11. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

Didn't know that about the Hursts. Cody told me to be sure to heat them up really good, which is part of the issue, the Sure-Grip isn't working correctly so even with the back brakes backed off we are not getting a good burn.

12. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

I will get ahold of the engine builder and get the build sheet Wednesday.

13. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

Alright, here's what we have so far, at least what makes sense to us...questionable in our ability to judge "sense."

1. HP claims are dead wrong - going back to the engine builder Wednesday.
    2. Super Stock Springs are a must have.
    3. T&T with Caltracs -vs- SS Springs or combination.
    4. Loose the snubber.
    5. 4.56 Ratio change - too deep?
    6. Possibly go to a Detroit Locker or Spool...what do you think?
    7. 6cyl. Torsion Bars - Source Anyone?
    8. Taller front tires.
    9. Ressurect the Ramchargers and borrow heavily!

14. storm king

storm king

That all sounds pretty good. Mancini Racing for the longer drag shocks, which should be on that list, and probably the six cyl torsion bars if you want to get new ones.
    90/10 shocks up front wouldn't hurt either.
    The gear is the same we ran on our max wedge, but tire diameter plays a part.
    I don't see "real racing slicks" to replace Hurst's on the list however.
    M&H does have what they call "nostalgia" slicks, but they aren't pie crust, if that matters. Radirs are.
    Locker's a good idea, more costly than a spool, also more forgiving, something to consider.

15. jim powers

jim powers
    from new jersey

488 rear gear and 4200 stahl on the converter your 60 ft need to be in the 1.55 range

16. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

I think we will try the Radirs first and see what happens, we have another set of Police Rallys so we could mount them up and try them -vs- the Hurst. We have a commercial acct. with several speed part houses so we will be able to do this for a little less...heck, might even qualify as Advertising & Promotion. Thanks for the suggestion on Mancini too!

17. luckily we have a local guy who has saved lots of early mopars and we snatched the six torsion bars out of a rusted car barely had to cut anything to get them out he had the pedals and a trunk floor for previous projects he seem fine in trades for the unused cast offs for the race projects he is by appt. so its a tricky deal to look stuff over ..

18. brandon

brandon

Exactly.....as for cal trac's....they have almost become the standard in stock with leafs....even mopars:eek:

1 Or 2 piece axles....?

19. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

This pretty much nails it!
    All good stuff here.
    I run a '64 Plymouth Fury WAGON, 426 back in '70/'71 with all the Mopar stuff, springs, w/aluminum bushings, 3500 stall (it was '70 Stall, so who knows? it flashed at about 3500??) and 4:88 gears. It ran 13 flat at 100 MPH, I always wanted to try 4:30/4:56 gears to see if it would MPH better.
    This was E/SA, 3800 LBS., so I was handcuffed with stock carb and Hyd. cam, & 7" tires. Having said all that, my point is you've got lots of room to improve. Just keep chipping away one change at a time. That was always the most fun part for me.
    GOOD LUCK AND SAFE RACING.

Sorry these are old pic's takin' with a cheap 1970 camera. LOL

Attached Files:

20. hey remove the tail pipes and mufflers for the track

21. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

Very cool wagon! Thanks for the input. We will keep on chippin"!

22. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

We're running cutouts just behind the driver. We still drive it on the street.

23. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

One piece axels...and what do you think about the SS Springs WITH the Caltracs?

24. Big Dad

Big Dad

My old 65 belvedere that my youngest nephew now owns

426 ci ,. its an old truck block

906 heads, mostly just stock

Old 429 / 284 crane comp-u-cam

headers

Edelbrock torker intake

3500 B&M super holeshot

4.86 gears

all steel , its not light by any means but has had some trimming

in 1981 I got it to run 11.97 , runs 12.50's now

My 64 runs 9.90's weighs 3670 with me in it , on the scales

[​IMG]

25. storm king

storm king

Big Dad, '64 Plymouths are one of my two favorite Mopars...but I want your truck!

26. Big Dad

Big Dad

I'll give you a package deal on both ..

Can't break up the set !

[​IMG]

27. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

If you're running 13.30s at 100 mph I can't see where chassis set up changes are going to show much ET improvement. That's a pretty efficient ET for your speed. It appears to be a horsepower issue thats needs some looking into. Cool car.

28. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

We are changing carbs this weekend and checking the valves again but we are really loosing it at the 60 foot and at the top end too...the chassis changes should bring the short run into line and gearing,tuning to improve the top. Not really pushing the redline at the top. We messed with the timing a bit between runs, and that made a big difference too. Doggone motor is strong...but who knows. Going to do the least expensive first before going there. Thanks!

29. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

Alright, can't let that go...here's our shop truck/pusher.

Attached Files:

30. I've been 1.27 60' with Cal-Tracs and their split monos. Cal-Tracs aren't your problem. Put a pair of real slicks on it like Hoosiers or M/T and you will hook. The old style repop slicks hook like old style slicks. Do you want to hook or look like 1964? I think I'd put a pair of 9" radial slicks on it. On a fairly low h.p. car like yours they will hook well and et better than bias ply tires. They roll much more efficiently. Tire technology is lightyears ahead from the old days. If you still have problems with decent slicks call John Calvert like others have said. There is no better customer service out there.

Also with your speed of only 100 mph in the quarter you don't have 600 h.p. Even if you are spinning real bad you will mph much better than 100 with 600 h.p. MPH is the basic indicator what h.p. you are making even if your 60' stinks.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011