Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbass of the week... ME.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JohnT, Sep 4, 2011.

1. JohnT

JohnT

Thanks.

makes me feel better.

I actually laughed at myself when it happened...

plastic is petroleum based... good answer... I like your thinkin... :cool:

2. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

The fact you can laugh at yourself is good. I did the samee yesturday. Striped my brothers bike helmet for him and took a good 2 hours. I then turned around to wash my brush out, knocked the freshly painted helmet onto the dusty floor and wrecked one side of the helmet. Called myself a few choice names, laughed and cracked a beer open. No point being mad about it.

3. I didn't do that but I poured five quarts of oil right through my engine didn't notice the oil on the floor until the puddle got real big. What a mess, it happens to all of us at one time or another. Take care, Rags

4. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Saw a guy do that with an 8V-71 Detroit once- the puddle was 2ft past the front truck tires when I walked in and yelled at him to take a look- had a couple cases of Delvac in- er, through it by then :(

5. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Changed the lifters on my Lincoln a while back, got interrupted just before putting the manifold back on, finished my business, came back and buttoned it up.

When I started the car a little later, I immediately remembered that I didn't remove the paper towels I had tucked into the intake ports....

Fished some of it out with some long needle nose pliers, the rest (most of it) "passed" through the glasspacks... :D

Shit happens sometimes.... :D

6. Ha ha! I was changing the oil in the wife's car and had the job all done. I went to pull the car off the ramps and oil went EVERYWHERE! As it turns out - noticed upon my WTF head scratching inspection - the old oil filter rubber seal came off and stuck to the receiver. I didn't notice it and just put the new filter on. When I cranked the motor the entire oil supply spewed out. Lol I'm a dumbass!

7. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

you were'nt planning on useing it agian, don't worry about it

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

..I did the same thing the other day but realised it when the filter was taking so many turns to tighten..How ever; not putting a filter on and starting it up is DA...:D

9. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Friend of mine tried a wire screen under the carb on his race car, worried about sucking junk in on the broken up and loose race track we have over here. He did one pass, reckoned it sapped power.

When he took the carb off to pull the gauze he found a small bolt sat on it, fell off the underside of his hood latch on that one pass he made........ :eek:

10. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

Welcome to the world of Murphy. He has many funny laws!

11. You can now call the transmission a "Munchie".;)

12. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Heres a funny one,A few years ago I installed brake caliphers upside down ,It was a disc setup,Scratched my head for two days of trying to bleed brakes,Called Pop over and he told me they were upside down, I learned a valuable lesson ,When restoring a car ,M ark which calipher goes on right or left side ,Or Brakebleeder to the bottom,Ive rebuilt boats and many cars before this,I just wasnt thinking.................

13. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Hi my name is Marvin.......I have dumped oil on the floor cause I did not put the drain plug in.....can you help me?

14. ironpile

ironpile

Can`t let you have all the credit for screwing up,I could write a book on mine.

15. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! it'll just turn back into oil...
    Just think of it as gear "break in" lube....

16. 55nailhead

55nailhead

I was changing the intake gaskets on the 350 in my chev pickup and was cleaning the silicone out of the intake bolt holes with a thread tap. I had all the intake ports plugged off with towels, so I thought I was good. Well I dopped the tap and it bounced once and then went straight down the distibutor hole. I looked in and couldn't see it lodged anywhere. I ended up putting the intake back on and left it in the oilpan for the next guy to find.

17. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

I torn down a 350 Chevy once and there were a hand full of nuts and bolts laying in the lifter valley from a previous rebuild. Probably someone got in a hurry, forgot they were there and bolted the intake on.

Didnt hurt a thing..

18. Well this gives me something to shoot for the rest of the weekend for stupid, I have faith in me that i can top that, hopefully without band-aids.

19. ferrets bueller

ferrets bueller
    from NW Indiana

now that....is f'ing crazy:eek:

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Welcome to the club. Years ago I was dropping the pan on a Cummins diesel, had it resting on a jack. It slipped off the jack and all the oil I forgot to drain gave me a real good bath. Got the Dumbass of the Day award for that one.:eek:

21. My name is Mike and I once filled a freshly rebuilt '34 Chevy motor with water until it ran out the tailpipe.

Yeah...don't ask.

22. modeleh

modeleh

You'll have them upside down again, the bleeders go to the top, the air wants to go up, remember it like bubbles in a fish tank.

23. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Did the same thing in a rear axle a couple years ago--tried to fish it out,no luck. Changed the 3rd member this year--found just a couple small bits,so no problem.

24. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Very clever. :D

25. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

sonofabitch. we could be idiot twins.. sept i did it with a sag.

"what's that clickin' noise?" thats my tranny clicker! shudup!

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is how we fix 4x4 rigs on the trail. It does not hurt them a bit. I have driven from Tahoe to Oakland with 4 Zip-Lock bags in the rear axle of my truck.

If that little cap could harm the transmission, driving it normally would destroy it.

27. RodStRace

RodStRace

SBF. All intake bolts in, remember that the throttle spring bracket goes under the LF bolt. Dist. not in yet.
    Yes, the 12-point bolt does a beautiful 180 as it rises up in the air, turns and no nets the dist hole.
    Let's just say I dislike SBFs. They make me look stupid.

28. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

Circumcise that tip next time!:eek:

Dave

29. Smokey2

Smokey2

Dear "DA", I doubt, IF, That qualifies for the title ????

I recently had $1600. In My Cosole of vehicle ! Was going to Atlanta, To pick up Jag IFS fer MY '54 Chevie, first thing that morning..............
    Ended up somewhere WE shoul'nt have been, Left with a "sweetie", went to "her friends" Place fer what usually happens........woke up at 6:30 a.m., "Sweeties" gone.
    Time to "Go to Atlanta".......go to car........It WAS LOCKED, Now IT'S NOT
    Locked !!!!! RIGHT !
    Everything THAT WAS in me cosole, Is no longer......In My Console.
    I know, that was a different week,
    But what YOU did............SHIT!
    Yeah, Still Smoked-Up,
    In tha' GREAT SMOKEY MTS. of TENN. :(:eek:

30. calvinh

calvinh

I had a friend who dropped a nut down the intake of a 327. His theory was that it was small enough and would blow out the exhaust. He was WRONG!

Took my wife's Volkswagen Passat to a VW dealership to be serviced. They "changed" the oil but drained the tranny, not the oil, and left the tranny dry and about 12 qts of oil in the engine. 2 miles after she picked it up it had blown engine seals and the tranny. Warranty replaced the engine and tranny but in the process of the swap they tore both of the front leather seats and destroyed the carpet AND blew the computer. They fix the computer under warranty, scheduled an appointment at an upholstery shop to get the interior fixed. THEY wrecked the car on the way to the upholstery shop. Great car before the oil change.
    I was changing the heads on a race prepped 347 Mustang and somehow ended up with a hose clamp in one of the cylinders when I put the heads back on. No idea how it got there but that $1.12 hose clamp cost me a short block and a brand new AFR head.