Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Colors besides Black and Black suede. What's next?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Sep 3, 2011.

1. badshifter

badshifter

7 of the 10 cars in the shop are black or black suede. I know black is traditional, bad ass etc. but come on! Green has been coming on for the last few years. Whats next? Thinking the A pickup may go dark blue (the one behind the merc.).

Attached Files:

2. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

In your shop? Your being paid to work on 'em? Why do you care what color they are?

3. badshifter

badshifter

Where in my post did I mention payment, or that I cared?
    But to help with your detective work, the beat up A is mine,and I'm not complaining, I'm asking what's next.

4. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i dont know about on old cas...but silver is every where on new ones..,,,i was at an intersection and there where 9 silver cars/trucks.. not all the same shade,,but a silverish color....

5. big daddy Raleigh

big daddy Raleigh
    from Denver CO

I often have this same thought in the strive to be different & unique in a cool way. Today I saw a minty green on a new focus, thought that'd be cool on an old '50s ride. Also a really cool creamy tan on a (I know should mention this with cool in the same sentence) KIA suv... Dodge used a cool vanilla white color on the 300c. Just my $.02 worth!

6. luvzccr

luvzccr

house of kolor maroon. love that color. that and metallic green. :) they just look so cool i think.

7. Blue is going to be hot for 2012. ;)

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Eggplant. Wasn't Cadzilla eggplant? That's a sharp color.

9. Blues,greens,maroons,biegh(?) and tans.....not the seering stand out stuff,but subtle...also two tones with correct flowing colors. my predictions....But who cares!:rolleyes:

10. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i like orange,,but its move of a muscle car color..even though 55/56 chevys look good orange and white..willys coupes and other small cars can pull off orange...but i wouldnt paint my 53 ...

11. Like the way you think Daddy-O, black whether: suede/shiney/patina is always forever classic and in my own opinion will always be my fav, but I also hate to do the same thing cause everyone else does it ...flipped my lid for the "Cool V" mopar put out for a few years back and had to have mine dipped.
    [​IMG]

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Black rules ,,,,,, thats all there is so ..........
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  13. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Satin green is my choice. It draws a lot of questions anywhere it goes. The non-car people always think it is original paint! LOL

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you can't put shiney black and black suede in the same catagory ... well you can, but I don't.

nothing I like better than a shiney black car with perfect body work and new chrome. many times black suede is a cheap alternative to expensive bodywork and paint... I can rustoleum a car for what?? 100 bucks maybe? and it looks good even with less than stellar body work... and whiney HAMBers be damned, put some red wheels on it and you got a good looking car.

take a trip back in time to the 80's where miami vice was king and pinks and turqoise were all the rage. every one of those candy ass cars would have been better looking in black suede. just be thankful those days are over.

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Black is beatiful, black is cool, black's where it's at and that's that........

16. Two favorites of mine that graced a lot of Factory cars in the 60's and 70's that I'd like to see revisited....Champagnes (Light Metallic Golds like on the Mid 60's Pontiacs) and those heavy Metallic Browns that graced early '70's FOMOCO cars....Both colors are rarely seen and would make fine choices today.....

17. flat green or light army green is my favorite.
    My older bro works with wrought iron and his way of primer his work was red oxide mixed with gasoline and sprayed on to prevent flash rust.
    I was the one messing with his spray gun when he wasnt looking so I am very fond of a red oxide "color".

18. Besty34

Besty34

Done my sedan a chrome yellow after owning a black coupe for ten years , will be painting the sedan black as soon as I can afford to get the body good enough for it !!

19. slammed

slammed

Semi gloss Navy blue. Semi gloss Hunter green.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You just happen to get all the "bad-ass" cars to work on, badshifter.

I like black...primer or shiny...even with red wheels. Said it before, I'll say it again...if I went to a cruise or a show, and all the cars were black, I'd love it.

What I really like though, is a color so dark that it looks nearly black. Deep midnight blue, dark dark chocolate brown, super-dark green, etc. I think it has something to do with being close to original colors for the very early cars. Yet, I still like red...but not too bright...closer to "firebrick". On the other hand, I'm not close-minded, and I truly enjoy seeing all the different colors...even if I wouldn't have it for myself.

I think the idea that any one particular color...or build-style...or wheel...or engine...or what-have-you, is being overdone, is wrong. We're all similar, but different. Different, but similar. Embrace the similarities. Viva la difference. It's easy to get "jaded"...especially after viewing so many cars here on the hamb, or seeing so many pass through a shop, or after your thousandth car show. But those enviroments are not the norm. Out in the world, each of our cars, no matter how similar to one and other's...are extremely unique, relative to almost ALL the other cars out there. We are a very small percentage.

I've said this before too... I was concerned that if I painted my roadster-to-be black, it would look too much like some others. My wife said, "Yes, but how many black roadsters around here do you see?"

So, what's the next new color? There aren't any...they've all been done, nothin' new under the sun. What's the next new "in" color? Who cares? So who cares what color other people paint their car?
    The only "new" next color will be your new color...for you.

Took my forest green '46 Buick to a local show on Thursday. Parked next to my old buddy's two cars...his grass-green '38 Pontiac and his blue-ish green '50 Chevy coupe. Three old green GMs in a row...they were beautiful. lol.

Color...and all the rest, for that matter...is a personal choice. Do what you like.

21. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

If I could predict the next trend, I would probably go against it and I imagine so would a lot of other people. That would mean the new trend would be going against the next trend, so all of those that went against the next trend would be trendy. Sometimes overthinking can be a problem.:DI knew what I wanted and spent ages having people tell me I was crazy to even contemplate it, but I did it and it makes me grin every time I see it. That's good enough for me.
    Paul

22. Shiny ... I don't care what color, just make it shiny glossy. Sure a lot of cars look great semi gloss, but when I see two similar cars one in nicely done semi and one very straight and shiny, Ill take the shine every time.

And for what its worth, black is still my favorite.

23. 69supercj

69supercj

I really like that color, what is it?

24. some colors are timeless others come around every 20-30 years, pink and black or white was big 1955-56 try that one lol

25. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I take my guys to "ACE Hardware" and tell them to pick a C O L O R spraypaint & no black nor gray primer nor leather nor DiscoBilly crap. Hell, I was pushing pink on this 30

Im with you Homie, after a while that black looks kind of dull.

Attached Files:

26. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

Any color but camouflage.

27. India Ivory with a red interior on a`64 Riv ...yup thats whats going to hip around these parts.

28. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Saw this car last week in one of these threads . . .Don't know if this color is making a comeback, but I hope so.

Attached Files:

29. badshifter

badshifter

Thats a good looking car and color. I can see my p/u looking like that.
    And, I'm not trying to pick the next fad color, and I know black is timeless. Just wondering what may come next.