Register now to get rid of these ads!

wiring diagram for old chrome clamp on turn signal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goon56, Nov 4, 2009.

1. 3034

Anyone?

Attached Files:

2. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

I had one with no instructions; used a battery and test light to figure out which is which; continuity tester will work good. Hint- make sure you wire in the brake lights or it won't work right..cheers

"got a 4 barrel carb, dual exhaust and the 411 gears you can really get lost....."

Charlie

TagMan likes this.
  3. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    from Wisconsin

Sorry to bring an old thread back from the grave, but I have to thank Zombie for the attached diagrams. I started on my turn signal wiring today and it took a couple of seconds of searching to find the diagram I needed.

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Nowhere else on the 'net can you get a hold of all those old diagrams ... viva la HAMB !

I've used my trusty volt meter to ohm/beep them out many times , cause it seems that something is always different for me , lol !!

5. chingon36

chingon36

Yeah anyone have a diagram ???

6. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

x 2 on this one........?

Originally Posted by yblock292 [​IMG]
    mine is original 50 ford has Ford SXTS-B, any diagrams for this one?

7. petemcl

petemcl

I need that too. Now does anyone have the switch that goes inside of a Ford SXTS-B turn signal? This is the part to which the wires are soldered. Too many PO repairs have pretty well ruined mine.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  8. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I've got a Signal-Stat 900 with a FoMoCo tag on one of the wires, but the wire colors don't match up with the diagrams I've seen.
    I've got wires colored:
    green
    red
    blue
    yellow w/brown stripe
    green / white stripe
    white w/ blue stripe

Anyone able to help with this?

9. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

thanks for digging this old thread up,I just picked two of these up at the swap meet last week and was wondering where to find a wiring diagram.

10. cryobug

cryobug

Headlight sockets make great terminals for flashers. Try to make X on your flashers the hot side just in case you ever use electronic flashers.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
  11. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

time to knock the dust off this one,i grad a signal-stat 800 from a scrapper.any diagrams for it? it has 8 wires
    2X grey
    2X red
    also 1 of each-color of wires- green, with black,blue & yellow going to flasher & a brown away from flasher {to dash?}

12. Shitboxdodge

Shitboxdodge

When I pulled my steering wheel off the factory turn signal switch had all the wires cut so there were no colors to match back to a wiring diagram. Also, the diagrams I had did not show wire positions on the switch so I had no idea what terminal did what.

I had to use the meter to do a continuity test to figure out how it worked. I'm an idiot so it too me a lot longer than it should have but the same theory should apply to some other 6 wire signals. Here is the "logic" diagram I drew up after I tested all the terminals on the switch...

Attached Files:

13. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Asking again.....any one have a diagram for the Ford SXTS-B........?

14. http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67001
    There is a diagram in post 7 in the tread.

Helped my kid rewire one of these the other day; but I seem to remember
    that both of front turn wires were in the longer row of wires and the flasher
    input wire was in the other row by itself.

Any way once you know that the brake light input is the one with the jumper wire the rest of the switch is easy to test out to determine the connections.

15. n847

n847

OK I've read every one of these post about 3 time, and I'm still not getting it correct. I have the front signals working. But when I try to tie into my rear tail lights both bulbs blink, even when I only have one light wired. I tied into the Brake wire, I didn't try to tie into the tail light because I know its a loop, so are my brake lights wired incorrectly or do I need something else in addition to the turn signal switch and the blinker. I have the el-cheapo 39 Ford repro tail lights I think they came from Jegs. I don't understand how this can work with out seperate wires for each brake light from isolated seperate switches. I see people talking about using diodes and seperators.
    My switch is a VSM 600 6 wire switch so maybe since its not a 7 wire I need to add something else???

Attached Files:

16. n847

n847

Ok I got it figured out. I didn't realize that the brake lights had to come out of the switch! I'm not sure how I missed that but I think I got it now!

17. KUBE

KUBE
    from USA

Hey guys, How about an old ARROW N254? It has a total of five wires. I'm lost...

18. Wowcars

Wowcars

Here is what I came up with for the KD 728 Turn signal switch:

Brown: Brake light switch
    Orange: Flasher
    Yellow: Left Rear
    White: Right Rear
    Red: Left Front
    Green: Right Front

19. 3034

Add one to the list. I found this one for a Signal Stat 700.

Attached Files:

20. 00fxd

00fxd
    from BC Canada

Hey fellas, I felt that resurrecting this old post my be a way to get an answer for me. I am having trouble with a '48 GMC 3ton. NEW LMC wire harness, LMC 7 wire turn signal switch, double contact bulbs where they should be in the front. When I press brake switch, signals stop flashing. Currently I have the stop feed to the right rear only. Now the sigs stop when right sig activated and brake pressed, the left turn and stop operate as should [even tho no stop lite feed to that lamp]. I have tried diodes in every conceivable position. I am now wondering about the sig switch. Thinking that the stop may be back-feeding thru sig switch interrupting sig operation of the other side. Has anyone had good/bad luck with these $25. , 7 wire switches? Any other thoughts? I like wiring, have done quite a bit as a hobbyist but I am stumped .... pic of my completed LS conversion in my mid year Corvette .....

Attached Files:

21. josh hazelton

josh hazelton

So I got a question as well I installed one of these kits in my 49 chevy plus new oem harness everything is hook and works except the turn signals and hazards the flasher is good can anyone give me an idea or suggestions on what's going on any help would be great and thanks in advanced

Attached Files:

22. josh hazelton

josh hazelton

This is the setup I have

Attached Files:

23. squirrel

squirrel

just wired up a Signal Stat 800 in my new 63 Corvair (which has that impossible remote turn signal switch).

800 color ---GM Color
    blue----------n/c
    red/grn----------n/c
    red------------dk blue
    grn-------------lt blue
    yel---------------yel
    gry/blk------------white
    gray-------------pink
    black -----------purple

24. I'm trying to wire up an old Signal Stat switch to an American Autowire harness...the guy at AAW was no help at all, and I am no electrician. I found a diagram on a Jeep forum, but it shows two wires to the flasher with no delineation about which one goes to what post. Is there a diagram that shows the adaptation of an 800 to a mid-80's GM switch like AAW uses, or would Squirrel's info work? If I tried hooking up power and trying to find out what's going on, I just might burn the whole mess down. :)

brEad likes this.
  25. Well, I'll try. :) I'm no electrician, and some of the terminology is lost on me, but I'll see if I can get through it. This Signal Stat 800's wiring diagram isn't very detailed. Thanks for your going to the trouble of explaining this!

26. I got this from a gentleman at AAW... customer service is still alive and well, it seems. :)

"Since you are using the Dash Indicators, the BLUE wire will remain UNUSED.
    To break it down for you:
    Sig-Stat GREEN goes to AAW Light Blue (Left Front)
    Sig-Stat RED goes to AAW Dark Blue (Right Front)
    Sig-Stat YELLOW goes to AAW Purple. (Flasher Feed)
    Sig-Stat GREY goes to AAW Yellow. (Left Rear)
    Sig-Stat BLACK goes to AAW Dark Green (Right Rear)
    Sig-Stat Black w/ GREY TRACE goes to AAW White (Brake Feed)"

When asked about the red/green wire, he said "That would be if you were running single filament bulbs in the front, and needed to supply power to them for your park lamps. Since the park lamp circuit is already installed in the new AAW harness, this wire will remain unused. "

Here's the diagram...the one posted earlier seems to have a broken link.

SignalStat800Diagram.jpg

brEad likes this.
  27. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since this subject keeps getting drug up, here is how to wire a turn signal switch that you don't have a clue as to the wire colors. First, get a VOM meter or continuity tester of some sort. Mine has a buzzer that indicates continuity. With the switch in the neutral position, find 3 wires that have continuity. Now switch to left turn and see which of these are connected. Switch to right turn and see which is connected. The wire that shows up in both these tests goes to the brake light switch. Label it as such. When the switch was turned to the left, the other wire in this test should be labeled right rear turn, the remaining wire of these 3 is left rear turn. Go to the remaining wires and switch to left turn and test for continuity. Test again for right turn. The wire that shows up in both tests you label as flasher. The one that tested on left turn is left front turn and the other one is right front turn. If you still have one wire left over, it goes to another flasher for the 4 way. If you are dealing with an OEM switch located under the steering wheel there will be another wire for the horn. I hope that this helps.

brEad likes this.
  28. Bambamshere

Bambamshere

I have started to install the new turn signal switch. I have noticed 2 things. 1: my brake lights no longer work. Even after I reinstalled the wiring. 2: I have hooked up the wiring to the flasher. There is a yellow and green wires on my flasher. there is a blue and black wire coming out of the Switch. If I put the blue wire to the yellow it keeps flashing and if I put it to the green it does nothing.

This I should say is a 3 wire flasher and a 7 wire turn signal switch. Going around the switch is X, P, L So X and L get power all the time and p gets nothing.

The turn signal switch doesn't turn on. Not sure if all the wiring need to be hooked up to the lights first. I thought it would click on if you put power to it. I have one red wire going to brake switch and the other for flasher going under the dash. to instrument panel.

I don't know the P the blue wire should't turn on till you turn the switch on and it gets power. Blue is just for the light.

So update got one brake light to work but not other one. Plus when that brake goes on my 4 way flashers start to flash. Yay me I hate wiring. Not sure if I said I just also installed LED tail lights. Another thing I have the resistors should use them? Should I put a Diode in the line so doesn't start flashing when brakes go on?

Plus I am working on a 1956 Fargo 1 ton.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019