Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Turning a "Rat Rod" :( into a Hot Rod :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyWoody28, Feb 20, 2010.

1. RichG

RichG

Well, the wood might be trashed, but that just means you get to make all the changes you thought about when you were learning how to do it the first time. Something you might consider is, when you are finished sanding and staining, laying fiberglass mat and resin over the wood to seal it. This has been done to wood strip canoes and simply looks like a high varnished finish, while sealing and protecting the wood... just something to think about.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't channel or lower the car, I love it just the way it sits! Big thumbs up to you for wanting to do all your own work too, when you're done you'll be able to say, "Yes, I DID build it myself!", and no one will be able to contradict you!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. dgg-dt1948

dgg-dt1948

I think the stance on this rig is spot on! really looks cool.

3. joel torres

joel torres

i like it the only thing i would change is the top edge of the roof i like how carson tops are rounded but this has almost a straight box edge
    [​IMG][​IMG][/QUOTE]

4. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Along time ago, I was telling a good friend how bad I wanted a supercharger for my OT truck, He told me to pick up some overtime at work and in a few months I would have the supercharger I wanted. At the time I said I didnt want to work any overtime and he said " then you dont want that supercharger that bad".

I believe you sir, wanted save that rat more than anything else in the world, to build it in 3 foot of snow and mostly at night. My hats off to your dedication and will power.

Mr.C

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the looks of the way you put it together. My paternal grandfather was a damned good carpenter and that looks just like something I could imagine that he would have built on a 10.00 Model A chassis in the 30's to have more room inside. Straightforward simple and gets the job done.

6. Might want to rethink the rear "hairpins" - this design is not recommended for a rear application.

Steve

ok, so I've been so busy working on this thing, that i havn't had time to post any pics. here we go. It finally stopped snowing haha, so I can actually get some shit done. I'm going for a more race car look with it because I beat the shit out of my cars. My dads race car number was 17 back in the day so thats where the number comes from. Stock looking 283, Black walls, and yeah it has an automatic, but thats only for this summer. Next winter its gonna get 4" drop, some diamond cut 8.50 in the rear and possibly wide fives , t5, and some other goodies, but thats all on the back burner until I get it on the road.. I am stoked about it!!!!!

heres some chassis and engine pics
    <fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Attached Thumbnails</legend> [​IMG]
    </fieldset>

7. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

8. Nice job. You built it the way YOU wanted it to be.
    Carry on!

9. guy51usa

guy51usa

could,nt agree more

10. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

I dig it! Hand made, non-cookie cutter gettin it done kinda family wagon. Just think it would be damn easy to do a chop on it. Keep kickin ass and don't let the whiners drag ya down.LB

11. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Very kool! Nice work!

12. VectorGES

VectorGES
    from Conway, SC

Epoxy and glass over wood is best done on new wood. Also, it is nearly impossible on vertical surfaces. Iwould vote for many, many thin coats of spar varnish. It is used on wooden boats (think Chris Craft) and includes UV inhibitors to keep the wood fresh. If it seals a boat below the water line it will keep a car body fresh. Glass is also hard to install over hard edges. It likes large radius curves, so the trim pieces would be tough. Spar varnish.

13. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Whatever else you do, for the love of God put a flex line between the chassis side of the hardline and that tee block on the rear end housing. Hanging the hard line across the gap like that and letting it flex is a clusterfuck just waiting to happen.

The rest will probably be fine, but that part right there WILL result in an "OH SHIT!" moment eventually.

Not a matter of "if", but "when".

Otherwise, carry on.

14. Jalopy Journalist

Jalopy Journalist
    from Austin, TX

What ever happened to this thing?

15. 31fordV860

31fordV860

you are correct sir..

16. [/QUOTE]

my thoughts exactly, maybe take a little crown out of it, but otherwise it looks awesome

17. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

for some reason this car is growing on me

18. miraclepieco

miraclepieco
    BANNED

I dig your build but can't let this go unanswered. So many erroneous assumptions here: one, that all rat rods are inherently unsafe, and two, that all hot rods are inherently safe.

Secondly, everyone takes pride in being a "traditional" hot rodder, yet conveniently forgets that everything they are saying here about rats is exactly what the general public was saying about the original hot rods back in "the day."

It is obvious that the general public LOVES rat rods. They perceive them as fun, affordable and unpretentious. Attitudes like the above simply cement our reputation as rich snobs. There's room for all philosophies in this auto hobby. Lets quit criticizing everyone who isn't just like us.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  19. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I wanna go see this hot rod in person!!! Looked like ass before and I just cant describe how cool it looks now. Its the definition of a hot rod, dont need a $6000 paint job or go with the newest fad to have a nice hot rod. At the end of the day its all about havin fun and goin fast :cool:

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I like your new car but I do take some offense in you calling the original a "rat rod". There were at least 2 chopped and channeled woodies like yours in the very early 60s. Yours could have been one.

Hanks speed shop in Berwyn Pa. had one that I fell in love with in 1961ish. Yeah just like yours when you got it. There was also one from the west I think. It shows up in early drag racing photos from Colorado maybe? If the pictures were not moved they should still be on the HAMB someplace. I saw it at York one year IIRC many years ago now.

The originals were never meant to look ugly.(ratrod) They did not weather well over the years. I believe that one was actually in one of the little books back then.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad. I know you are proud of your new ride as you should be but it is very possible that you cut up an historic hotrod. If the pile is still available there might be some courageous builders that would want to try to restore whats left to it's earlier configuration. 20 years ago I'd be interested in the remnants but I'm too old now.:D

When I saw the car in the early 60s it was definitely a hotrod. Long before the term ratrod ruined our hobby to the new comers.

I hope I didn't rain on your parade. That was not my intent. I just don't want the original hotrod to be forgotten. It was cool in 1961 and very authentic.

32FordWoody likes this.
  21. robber

robber

Hey, DirtyWoody28!

I think that when it comes to cars, a guy should do what he wants. I feel like the term rat rod is over used to the point where the general public is confused. I've had people walk up to my roadster and tell me, "Nice rat rod". It happened so frequently the last view years, that I did a little ditty inside the scoop to help educate the general public. To me a ratrod is something that you probably want a tetanus shot before you go near it. There is a difference between driving a hot rod and herding junk down the road. We don't have any rat rodders in this forum do we? But if we do, God Bless You... we love you anyway:) I commend you for taking what I would consider a ratrod and making it a beautiful hot rod!

Its possible that today's build will become tomorrows Historical Car :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  22. elwood blues

elwood blues

I like what you've done with the woody but I have to admit I think the original set up had some promise too. I think the original raised up a few inches and the front axle moved back a bit would have looked kinda cool (with a bit of attention to detail and fit and finish work). I'm not at all knocking what you have done you have built a very cool car.

23. I just read through the whole thread and got caught up. Im impressed, and dont feel so bad about using plywood in the back of my model A now. ;)
    Hope to see an update soon. Did the tub body happen?

24. BOHICA

BOHICA

Hear, hear.

25. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

great job!

this project came a long way, glad to see it turn out so well.

Now get it on the road & enjoy it!

26. sololobo

sololobo

Great job brother, that is very hip! Love it ~sololobo~

27. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

"To each his own" ....as far as building cars
    But....nice to see another "Rat Rod" builder..mature into building period cars and or nicer street rods
    You'll find you get more "Respect" at the local shows
    Great to see you "Graduate"
    They did it right for over 60 years
    Good luck with your project!

28. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

The woody project is coming out to be a really fun deal. ( By the way, nobody could be stupid enough to chop up a pretty nice pickup, even if it is "boring.")

29. johnboy13

johnboy13

Sweet woodie

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
  30. Django

Django
    from Chicago

It appears his last update was in March of 2011.