Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scrappers stole my 29 Sedan !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by #1 Kawboy, Aug 30, 2011.

1. HopFrog

HopFrog
    from no where

I had tweekers coming up my driveway at night. Was trying to keep valuables locked up tight, but some stuff was left in the driveway. Broke into a motor home and stole my tool boxes that were the only thing I got from my dad when he died besides his rice burner car. They stole a $250 weed eater from inside my patio shop. Too weird, they know right where to go.

I was playing with my logitec webcam software I downloaded off the website, not the program that comes on the CD in the box. It has a motion sensor built in and you can play with the settings. So I set up the webcam in my kitchen window and installed motion security lights. When the stupid twits walked up the driveway they tripped hte lights and stood there a minute. Then figured htey were safe and started up the driveway again. I had the flatscreen monitor in the window on top of a microwave and the webcam sitting on top of the bottom slide up pane. When they tripped that a few feet later , the monitor goes on and they look over and see them selves on TV and said "oh fuck", turned and trotted off. I live at the end of a long dead end street and those have been traditionally safe from this kinda bullshit. Not from scrappers I guess.

The next morning I hit playback and there are the tweekers. My ex girlfriend that I kicked out two months before, and her skinny assed toothpick girlfriend. I copied it onto DVD and gave it to the police with her drivers licence #. That was last Christmas. Haven't heard back from the cops yet. I guess our governor letting all the prisoners hit the street makes the cops not want to prosecute.

The motion detecting web cam is nice though. I don't have the monitor there anymore, but the cam sits on the cross bar just nicely and the north facing window never gets hit with direct sunlight. I moved the computer back to the dining room and have a hella long USB extension cord. I get lots of vid of cats and dogs in the night lol Now and then I get nothing on view. I figure that a bird flew through the field of view. :p

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  2. Deuces

Deuces

I ain't had any problems in quite a while... :)

Attached Files:

3. George T G

George T G

You didn't have this problem when the economy was better and scrap was lower but at $12 a hundred for steel and $3 a pound for copper it doesn't take long to get a few hundred $$.

4. TMoney

TMoney

I caught a lady on the side of my house a couple months ago. She was trying to take a front end I had there. It was there along with a frame and 2 rear ends. I confronted her, she ran toward a truck across the street full of scrap. There was a guy in the driver's seat and I jogged toward them. He left her, darted around the corner and took off. She went sprinting down the street and I let her go.

What kind of man makes his ol lady go try to steal a complete '40 front end and stays in the car, then leaves her after she was caught. I was dumbfounded. Needless to say I rearranged the garage and make room for the stuff.

5. Mercchev

Mercchev

"Life Member-NRA" Sticker on the truck and the two dogs barking usually keeps all these jagoffs off my property. Always fun to rack the slide on the shotgun, too.

6. fbama73

fbama73

I keep one of those, myself. Shit I'd never shoot myself, but deadly enough to defend myself against.

7. darkk

darkk

I'm glad that not only are my neighbors aware that I have a nasty Rottweiler, half the town knows it too...Me being the asshole I can be, Im pretty recognisable also...

8. jmpowie

jmpowie

Here in NH they are hitting grave yards steeling bronze off the ww2 grave stones. The funny thing is if someone comes on my land in NH, I tell them to leave and they say no, I show them a gun and tell them to leave, I go to jail!!!! not the trespasser. 5100 in taxes for a 1/2 acre and 1200 sqft house and I cannt keep thieves out of my yard. :mad:

9. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

This kind of bullshit should never happen. For a person to get into trouble for defending himself and his property is complete crap! This is the biggest reason we have to put up with most of this crime in the first place, the criminals have the upper hand. Laws need to be changed. A few dead bodies in the driveway across the state and you would be amazed at how much the crime rate would drop. It's a stupid thing to have laws against protecting yourself and your property.

10. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

I'm diggin that HOPFROG !!
    Sucks, but C O M P L E T E L Y closed all gates with hardware, so, it's now gotta go over the fence, WAIT !!! THERE'S NOTHIN' LEFT !! :'/

11. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

They broke into my barn and stole a bunch of early ford speed equip and other stuff, than the little bastards burned the barn to hide there tracks. Cliff

12. James 5:16

James 5:16

You will love this story...SCORE one for the good guys:
    http://www.wyff4.com/news/29014104/detail.html?qs=3

13. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Not only thieves but arsonists also, that really sucks. I know a guy that had some antique tractors stored in a barn on one of his employer's farms. Somebody stole the tractors out of the barn. We could see the tracks where they got themselves stuck. At least they didn't burn the barn down.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Hey it aint right that your shit got stolen, and I'd be the first to greet a theifing punk with a ready to rock 870 and arrange the meeting with his maker.

but now a days with the price of scrap, and the cost of old tin, why would anyone leave something out that they cherish this much?

protect your shit man, be smarter then the theif, so you dont have to worry about it, or have to worry about defending it with force.

laying out in a yard is too much temptation for these assbags..your setting yourself up for it.

out of sight out of mind. dont advertise and not expect a visit is all im saying.

completely agree that you should be able to pile this stuff up in your yard and no one should touch it..but that just isnt reality these days..gotta be ahead of them.

dont let this derail your project..build the chassis and a body that needs doors will come along.

I know there will be the ones to disagree with my feelings , and thats fine.. but would you lay your wifes wedding ring out on your driveway and expect it to be there in the morning? if so, someone needs to smack you back to reality.

15. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Sounds like Sheriff Chuck Wright is a lawman with good sense. I like what he said, "thieves sometimes learn their lesson the hard way." If the criminals knew everybody had the unquestionable right to defend themselves it would be a great deterrent. Every law abiding citizen should be required to own a gun.

16. It's a terrible world full of idiots. Honestly, its like we're all Dirty Harry getting screwed over by a system that we are so desperately trying hold together. Its a world were if you shot someone stealing what you've worked your ass off to get and you don't kill them, they can come back and sue you for everything you own. The world isn't protecting the civil society anymore, and our government damn sure doesn't care about us and ours. They are the same way. If you don't pay your taxes, they'll come and take all your shit too. And they're ain't a damn thing you can do about it. We're preserving our history with these old cars, but the junkies and politicians (one in the same in my opinion) don't care about history. I've worked my whole life to get out of the ghetto. The really fucked up thing is that all neighborhoods are becoming what I left. I wonder if Canada is accepting legal immigrants?

17. outlaw256

outlaw256

I live out in the country, in the south. i have 2 big shops which i lock up tight.i have a yard full of running cars that i dont take the keys out of and i dont lock my doors on the house. hell i dont even have keys to the house.i sleep with the front door open.i have a 357 next to the bed and a bunch of long guns for runners.everyone on the mountain knows this is not the place to be after dark.i will and have shot when confronted and i dont give a shit about laws. you come here with bad intent and your family will be sitting under one during your burial.i dont know why i lock up the shops i just do.but i can hear a car start and i wake up the second im hear footsteps on the porch so i feel pretty safe. so does our widowed neighbor with 2 kids. she likes living next to the crazy guy.to the guys with dogs, you might think about training your dogs not to take food from anyone but you and not to eat anything that doesnt come from your hand.hamburger meat and poison stops all dogs.and its not loud.they can kill your dog one day and rob you the next.seen it done.

18. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Off topic a bit but here in Cincy had some kids tryin rob a guy on the street and the guy took off running and the kids shot him in the back to rob him thats how bad it is here

19. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect his property to the degree he reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, theft during the nighttime or criminal mischief during the nighttime, and he reasonably believes that the property cannot be protected by any other means. And ya don't have to drag the asshole into the house!

20. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

[​IMG][​IMG]Scrappers came over and rang the door bell (thankfully) and asked if I wanted my steel work bench that is on the side of my house. I brought it home from my old work before I resigned. I thought it was safe at my house.. Guess not. I told them they couldnt have it. they then came by like 2 weeks later and asked the same thing. So for fear that my beloved all steel work bench would grow legs and walk away and or my old vise would do the same. So my pops and I moved it into my back yard. This bench is heavy heavy heavy! Maybe around 400lbs - 500lbs. The bench is custom made by a close friend of mine. He made it for use as a bondo and primer \ paint mixing table. Also installed on the bottom left is a craftsman toolbox. The bottom right just has a door of which I used to conciel ny dorm fridge. We are in the process of finishing up the goings on with buying a new house. Once we can move in my 55 chrysler and my work bench will be the first to move into my man cave, aka the garage. But holy fudgecickel that work bench is freakin heavy.... Pictures show it in my back yard. I had to put our old swing ontop of it so the gardener could get through the gate without an issue. I seriously love this work bench. It works great when welding, shaping metal, and or in need of a large flat strong surface to repair, take apart, and or assemble whatever you may be workibg on.

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

21. robleticia

robleticia

I went all the way through the thread just to see if he gave her name!:D

22. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

Up here in Canada I've never heard of crap like this happening. Scrappers will occasionally take stuff from industrial areas, but never in a residential area.

It's funny all the people acting as if having a gun matters while half the people who have HAD stuff taken have guns. Gun or not, if you catch them and chase them they'll screw off. You can sleep with a gatling gun under your pillow and it means dick all if you don't notice the theives in the first place. These people are scrappers in places with little to no gun control, you don't think they're counting on many of the people they nab from having a gun anyway?

/rant

23. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

I really don't see a problem with exterminating meth heads or any other parasites that are stealing so they can "get mines". Obama supporters, all the way!

Google pics of the charred remains of druggies/meth heads trying to steal copper while the line still has current! LOL

24. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

These people are scrappers in places with little to no gun control, you don't think they're counting on many of the people they nab from having a gun anyway?

/rant[/QUOTE]

Don't get people started on gun control. Just as 2+2 = 4, as soon as guns are taken from citizens, the only people that will STILL have them are the bad guys and the gov't.

25. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The city I live in has a reputation for profiling and are we glad. If you stand in the court parking lot, you can see all the scumbags they've arrested the day before, chained together and going to court. We love are local P.D.. My sister-n-law is a sergeant at the P.D..

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen that happen too many times. People you know or who are actually there to buy something see what you have and somewhere along the line tell other or spout offin a bar about that "Model A " body sitting in so and so's back yard behind the garage. Someone with sticky fingers overhears it and figures out how to make off with the parts.

And most of us are guilty of showing photos of our projects and parts and pieces on the net for all to see.

Locks on the gates, motion detector lights and warning buzzers and what not can help a bit along with what ever other means it takes to put the fear of the almighty in a sticky fingered individual. I think I'll put a target with a few holes in it on that post half way down the driveway today.

27. Bart78

Bart78

Here in Texas the castle law means where ever you are staying. Meaning your house or hotel or motel You have the right to defend you or your property. We have a bad problem with pigs where I live and I carry in my front seat in sight a ar-15 that is a sbr and is surpressed. Have all my paper work and tax stamp coppies in my glove box for the surpressor and for the gun haveing a barrel that is to short. Never had anyone say anything but can I hear it shoot.

28. Perhaps in TX. Castle doctrine does not apply to all states.

In short, if you own a gun, and intend to use it to protect yourself / your family / your property, you owe it to yourself to fully investigate and understand how and when it is acceptable to use deadly force in YOUR state and any state you may be travelling in. I understand the frustration that arises when you have your property stolen, your garage broken into, but without a thorough understanding of the applicable laws, shooting someone on your property MAY bring you up on murder charges.

Sad, but true. Guns & shooting people is serious business. Don't leave it up to a judge to decide. Know your rights.

29. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

My friends father-in-law is a bit of a junk collector and lives in PA about an hour from Baltimore. They stole his '65 Mustang fastback, '60s Econoline camper and a '40s Chevy tow truck. He was dumb enough to leave the titles in the glovebox.

30. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

Gun topic: Friend of mine marries a girl. For a wedding gift, his new father-in-law gives
    him a Colt 1911, then hands him an extra barrel. He asked what the barrel was for, he
    said, "So if you kill someone, you toss the barrel and swap it." His father-in-law was
    straight from Mexico.. Guess they know how to properly kill folks down there..

Stealing topic: We had some yard art stolen on Christmas Eve. New Year's Eve, they
    came back for the rest of it. Wife chases them down (girls in pajamas) but lost
    them. We got a good eye on the vehicle, and the school sticker on the back window.
    Two days later, we find the car, call the cops, and the woman lies her ass off. I id
    the girl, and she goes.. "My daughter can't even drive yet.." Kicker.. the daughter
    was in the passenger's seat. The mom was driving the get-a-way car, that she had
    just gotten for Christmas. AND they live in a $450,000 house in town. I guess they
    thought it was all for fun?

So I hot wire the rest of the yard art (metal chickens made from rebar and steel) with
    an electric fence box, and actually had one lady confront me about someone getting
    hurt, while touching my chickens. I was like ... Ain't that the whole damn point.. you
    shouldn't have your ass in my yard touching my chickens. You deserve it!