Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remembering a Friend....Paul McElley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R&C RON, Aug 31, 2011.

1. R&C RON

R&C RON

When I got my Early Custom Chevy in the 70,s there were'nt a lot of guys into the Customs at that time. I met a couple of guys who were still hardcore custom lovers. One of those guys was a local garbageman ,Paul McElley.Paul worked for Oakland Scavenger in the mornings ,and did Custom Body-Work and Paint in the afternoon and evenings. Paul eventually got enough confidence to quite his job and paint full time. Paul was old school and loved the work of the Old-Timers , especially Joe Bailon. Paul painted with lacquer and got so good with Black , that he got the nickname Blackjack. Paul helped me tunnel the headlights and sink my antenna on my 40 chevy . We spent many hours talking about early customs and pouring over the little magazines.
    Paul left this world way too early in 1990. He died of a massive heart attack at the age of 55 . But Paul left us doing what he loved , He was cruising Mission blvd in his Black Caddy!
    In Pauls memory I wanted to post some of his cars and the work he did for others.........ENJOY!​

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pauls 41 Chev
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pauls very wild p.u.​

[​IMG]
    Roadster painted by Paul for Jim Handy​

[​IMG]
    The Restoration of the Toccini/Bailon Mystery Ford
    [​IMG]
    Finished car in Oakland Museum​

[​IMG]
    2nd version of 41 Chevy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Paul and I at the old Fremont Dragstrip​

[​IMG]
    Pick-Up for Dave Sargent​

[​IMG]
    Chevy for a customer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pauls Beautiful Caddy​

2. who wound up with the ford hardtop wasnt it setting at his house for years after he passed ?

3. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

i love Pauls wild truck with the 6 headights. do you know if that truck is still around?

4. Rikster

Rikster

Thank you Ron... that was great

5. customcory

customcory

I got to see that channeled Duece roadster when I was a teenager at Gatlinburg. It left a big impression! And I remember his stuff. I never got to see a good pic of the 6 headlight truck, thanks!I didn't realize he had his hand in all these cars. He was one of the good ones.:D

6. R&C RON

R&C RON

The Ford is still owned by the Oakland Museum.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. R&C RON

R&C RON

I haven't heard anything about that truck in 30 years , its hard to believe something that distinctive would just vanish.

8. His brother Bill is a friend of my former boss. Bill used to live near Grand Junction Colorado, now he lives out by Mokan. Haven't talked to him in a couple years, but used to hear him and the boss talk about Paul and his cars.

thank you sir.

9. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Bill is not on the computer much, but he is following this thread.

John

10. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

This is a recent picture of Bill and the 32 that he has driven over the last 30 years or so. Bill is a good friend, a master metalshaper, and an old school hot rodder. Among others things, he goes to Bonneville every year and takes one of his one man modifieds. At this years Speedweek Bill and the modified were photograhed by Hot Rod Magazine.

Bill has a collection of pictures and magazine articles of his brothers work. None of these are digitial however.

One of Bill's latest project is a replcia bellytank lakester that he built for a mutual friend of ours. It was on display at the host hotel for the HAMB Drags.

John

Attached Files:

11. R&C RON

R&C RON

It would be great if someone could scan those photos for the HAMB , I know Paul was involved in a lot of cars I don't have pictures of. Bill your 32 is awesome!

12. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I thought I would add a picture of the belly tank lakester that Bill just finished. The only picture I had of it was while it was still in his shop but nearly done.

Attached Files:

13. krooser

krooser

Cool stuff... this was a nice tribute to him....

14. R&C RON

R&C RON

I found a couple more photos of Pauls work.....Enjoy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. billsat

billsat

Quite a legacy. Thank you for posting.

16. R&C RON

R&C RON

Here is a shot of Pauls Custom Coveralls.......​

[​IMG]

17. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Another great thread Ron! Not hard to see that your friend was influenced by Candy Apple Joe!

18. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Arlens van is in his museum at the dublin ca shop. I was amazed to see it still existed.

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

19. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ron, Thanks so much for bringing this up.I met Paul when I was 17.He made a big impact on my life.Got a chance to cruise around in the old chevy, and the 49 caddy.He truly was one of the good ones.He could lay Black like no other.His brother Bill is my best friend and mentor.If you've been to bonneville in the last 20 years you Probably met Bill.He's the one giving out sombreros to people with no hats.A heart of gold. On my way back from bonnie this year,I was thinking somebody needs to give these guys the recognition they deserve.They truly have changed many people lives. I am driving out to see Bill in mo.this morning.Thanks again

20. Hey Ron, I didn't know Paul had a brother. I saw the Belly tanker at the hotel in Joplin this year, didn't know who's it was. I probably walked right by him. Small world. I wonder what happened to the truck with the 6 headlights? I heard it went to Washington when Paul sold it. I really liked the last ride 55 Chevy panel. The mural on it was bad ass. With a wheel and tire change that car would still be cool today. Dean.

21. R&C RON

R&C RON

Hi Dean ...Glad you chimed in. I always wondered how that truck could have just disappeared? I saw the Last Ride at Paso Robles in the 1980's and the owner had updated it with new paint and wheels , it had lost all its character!!!!! Its cool to know Pauls brother has carried on the McElley legacy!

22. customcory

customcory

What about Arlen Ness's sectioned and chopped 56 F-100 . Did Paul have anything to do with it?

23. I want to say he did, but it was so long ago I can't be sure. Ron should know.

24. Frank32

Frank32

Paul was a very neat man, he painted my 1950 Chevy Hardtop, I always enjoyed talking to him. This was my very first car, since that point I always loved and painted my cars Black.

RIP Paul (Blackjack).

Attached Files:

25. Colorado Bill McElley

Colorado Bill McElley

:rolleyes: Bill McElley is an asome body man himself, with the talent, interity, and fun loving ways of Paul. Perhaps he can share pictures some of Paul and his work with us.. Just ask Colorado Bill McElley

26. Colorado Bill McElley

Colorado Bill McElley

Just ask Colorado Bill if he will share phots of big brother and his work. Bet he will be delighted[​IMG]

27. R&C RON

R&C RON

I would love to see other pictures of Paul and his work!!!!!
    Ron

28. I like the 2nd version of his chevy

29. @54delray

lurker mick likes this.