Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frame repair/shortening, running the numbers!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PureC4, Aug 30, 2011.

1. PureC4

PureC4

I'm wanting to shorten the wheelbase on my truck and need to know if I should also narrow the rear clip. Like some other eyes to look at these measurements on the frame and see if it looks right.

From the rear end of the frame to just under the rear of the cab it measures 74". Cutting it there will remove the worst of the frame rust. Cutting from that line down and back at 30 degree angle. The frame at that point measures 37 3/8" wide. The frame measures 48 1/2" from cut to axle center line. And frame is 44 1/4" wide at that point, and 46" wide at the rear.

The S-10 frame clip measures 40 1/2 " wide at the front, 40 1/2" at axle center line and 40" and the rear. I have plenty of length to get my cab to axle center line length correct. I want to remove approx. 10" in the wheelbase, and have a max of 14" to work with between the front of the fender and the front stake pocket. I will be going with a 4 link set up of some sort so spring perch location is not a concern. Any advise on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated,like best way to cut the frame angle, step,? And any problems you might see coming as this is my first time in doing something like this.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

what are you working on

3. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

dont confuse us with more information!

that will take all the fun out of this

4. PureC4

PureC4

Sorry...... damn pain meds! 1954 Chevy 3100 pickup. I'll go back and post up some pic in my profile stuff and more info. Thanks for the wake up call guys!:D

5. S10 frames are made in 2 pieces, front and back halves, one channel going into the other. the usual trick is to separate it at the factory joint and slide halves in and out to get desired wheelbase. they were designed that way in order to accommodate every vehicle variant at the factory. And the overlap gives an added bit of strength.

Do a search for I believe the thread is called "the ultimate S10 frame swap thread".lots of good information there

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  6. PureC4

PureC4

No luck on the link, thanks but I think its' too old and gone...... dang it!

7. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

8. Pure, you're right that thread was/is closed the "Definitive Ranger/Explorer Frame Swap Vehicle List" thread mentions that. It also leads you an S10 thread that has lots of information. Then it also mentions the "Definitive Chassis Swap User Group" where all those frame swap questions and answers continue on still.

Hope this helps.................