Register now to get rid of these ads!

What famous car made the biggest impression on you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassercrazy41, Jun 17, 2011.

1. 5w32

5w32

gary kollofski's 55 chevy and his 33 willys are very high on my list ....i love motor wheel fly's!

2. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

On a lot of Sundays in the mid to late '60s my Dad took me and my brother to National Trail Raceway. We saw a lot of cars that left lasting impressions including Don Garlits' Swamp Rat, Gordon Collett's AA/D, and Big John Mazmanian's 41 Willys gasser (I had a slot car with a 41 Willys body painted candy apple red to look like his car).

Another car that I saw which brings back fond memories was the Little Red Wagon. I had a 3-speed Stingray bicycle with high rise handle bars, banana seat, rear slick tire, and a couple of playing cards stuck in the rear spokes for sound effect. I could do a wheelie all the way down our street just like the Wagon. Those were the days, man!

Attached Files:

3. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Ditto! Also Tony Danza's 57' in Hollywood Knights

4. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Adam-12 patrol car. Always wanted to outrun them guys.

5. I was at the DesMoiones Goodguys clicking photos to get ideas for the front suspension of my project in about 91-'92 when I came upon Art Chrismans Hustler racer. The chassis work was impeccable and it was all smoothed and plated. I've got some great 35 MM photos of it.

6. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

Loved watching Norms T on the T.V. show 77 sunset strip.

7. speedyg948

speedyg948

not a famous car ,but when i was a kid there was a guy named harry luzwader who raced a 32 5 window coupe at raceway park in nj... he had ladder bars that ran from the rear end to the mounting points of the split wishbones. the car would lift the wheels at the launch and carry them for what seemed like an eternity. most impressive fuckin thing i ever saw as akid

8. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

wasnt his 57 featured in Popular Hot Rodding at one time or have something to do with Popular Hot Rodding?

9. ElSupremo

ElSupremo

Growing up in the '70s the 2 greatest cars a kid could have wanted were Milner's Coupe and the California Kid. Close behind, for me, were the Fastback from Bullitt and the Charger from Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry.

There was a short period where I thought this had to be the end-all of cool cars:

[​IMG]

10. low merc51

low merc51

It was 1969 I was a lucky kid growing up around a Dad who was a gearhead in his day !! When I was a youngster he had a red 1957 chevy 2dr hardtop with a 401 nailhead ,turbo 400!! I would stand in the front seat and bounce off the seat trying to get him to floor it so it would throw me back in the seat !!!!!!

Thats how this strange addiction began !!!!!!!

11. These three...My Dads Pro-stock 1969 Nova, Milners 32 and Lloyd Bakans 32
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. TJratz

TJratz

A local guy here by the name of Bob Christy has had a maroon 51 merc ever since I can remember.....the first time I saw it I was about 11....thats the day I knew customs were what I wanted to drive and build...

13. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

have to be the Hirohata merc, the zz top '34...not famous, but the one car that got me hooked was my uncles '34 ford 5 window.

14. teddyp

teddyp

so many cars but i would have to say larry watsons 50 chevy the frist time been hook on 50,s every since

15. James Dean's Merc......of course.

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

This one. I always liked the fuel altereds and gassers best when I was a kid in the '60s but Ohio Georges '33 Willys Gasser left an impression I cannot forget, especially with that Cammer in it!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  17. HopFrog

HopFrog
    from no where

The T-Bucket in The Love Bug on PCH caught my eye when I was 9 or 10. It was such a quick shot but it made a big impression on me. It was many YEARS later I read about the Kooky Car that started it all.

When I found out that my neighbor had one, I begged him to let me drive it. All he would do is let me fix it lol. To his credit he never let anyone drive any car he owned... ever. When I heard it was for sale, I jumped on it in a heartbeat.

Other than that, I'm more a pickup man lol. I have no use for a vehicle you can't haul at least a cord of wood in :p

18. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Around 1966-67 when I was 12-13 years old my brother-in-law introduced me to a guy he worked with by the name of Al Conn. Al and and another guy, Steve Roscoe were partners in a AA/SR that they regularily raced at National Trail Raceway. This was a car that held a NHRA Divisional speed record for the class. Al invited my brother-in-law and me to go with him one Sunday to the drag races. After a run Al let me hop in the roadster and steer it back to the pits. With his helmet and firesuit sitting next to me and the deployed parachute wrapped around the roll cage I was king of the drags that day! That car is one of the reasons I dig t-buckets and have one that I call my own.

Attached Files:

19. abone1930

abone1930

Got any more picks, that is cool :D

20. philo426

philo426

21. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

Dave Stuckey Lìl Coffin and other important car was and is Billy Gibbons`Eliminator featured in ZZ Top video " Gimme All Your Lovin`" . Both discovered in 1983.

22. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I grew up in a very, very small town with parents that didn't find cars intresting, so for me TV and Movies were my only outlet for cars/customs ect.
    UNTILL these came along, and I would say Revell/Monogram is the cause and the blame.

These are some of the ones I was lucky to have had.

Funny, I still have the 51 chevy model after all these years.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  23. It STARTED when a professional photographer was taking my pic for my first birthday. I just kept screaming as he brought out toy after toy until he got to this streamliner. Yeah, I have the pic of me holding the car, but its about the CAR, right?
    Wonder how many of us were influenced by toy cars?

Attached Files:

24. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Here's a couple more pics of the Al Conn - Steve Roscoe AA/SR. Some major changes were made to the car including a new chassis in about 1969. Steve Roscoe has a whole bunch of photos on his Facebook page.

Attached Files:

25. spiker

spiker

The ALA Kart, and the Speed Sport Special (which I saw at the Sanford, Maine drags when I was around 10 years old). And for a story you might not believe, but I swear on my mothers grave it's true. I used to tag along with my older brothers to all the car shows in the Northeast. My older brother had a custom 57 Chevy that he showed. When we were at a car show in Springfield, Mass. I could have bought the "Little Deuce Coupe" for $400. It was the real one that was on the album cover. The car was in pretty bad shape, paint chipped, cracking, chrome rusting etc. The guy who owned at the time was tired of showing it and wanted to dump it. I begged my brothers for the money, but, no way. I still can't forget, what might of been.

26. buds56

buds56

When I was a kid my older brother had a 56 chev in the yard he never got on the road.
    when I was 7 or 8 hot rods to hell came out I thought it was the coolest car on the road, still hope to get one some day.

Attached Files:

27. Tripple G

Tripple G

The picture will answer that question:D

Attached Files:

28. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

very nice

29. autobilly

autobilly

Although I've grown some since then (both in size and taste), when I was a teenager I was totally impressed by Bob Falfa's '55.

30. abone1930

abone1930

Thanks, That car is awesome.