Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dont hurt me! spraying rustoleum question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by revkev6, Aug 26, 2011.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

first off, this is NOT FOR MY HOT ROD! this is general spray gun practice ONLY

I have never sprayed out of a gun before so I am trying to get some experience practicing with it before I buy automotive quality products and spray parts for my 32. I picked up an el cheapo $15 harbor freight hvlp gun with a 1.4 tip that seems to work ok (decent pattern) and I started a little honda minibike resto project as a rationalization for my paint practice. :D

I have the rustoleum rusty metal primer which I thinned out 2:1 but I'm thinking that might have been a touch too thin?? anyway, I sprayed that with no hardener. the forks and swing arm I sprayed too heavy, but the frame came out great. very light coats were the rule. I will soon be moving on to paint. I'm going with basic black. I picked up the valspar hardener from tractor supply so it won't take days to dry. my question here is, does anyone know what ratio I should use for paint-thinner-hardener?? I followed the gun setup instructions in my latest issue of street rodder (can't believe I finally got something useful from that rag) and it seemed to work good with the primer. (still with the 1.4 tip though) I have read 8:4:1 ratio of paint reducer and hardener but would like some input from guys I trust!

if the rustoleum deal works out i can see me painting all sorts of my old beat up shop equipment for practice! I want to be comfortable with the gun and process before I think about paying big money for even primer!

one more quicky prep question, what would you use to scuff the primer before paint on a frame that has 90% of it's surface covered with bungs, brackets and angles?? light scotch bright or should I stick with sandpaper??

thanks for the help here, I will post some pics of my progress as I learn. hopefully from minibike to hot rod!

here is the mock up of the bike, the tank already came painted:

[​IMG]

2. 55chevr

55chevr

with enamel I scuff primer with 400 dry ... the hardener I cant help you with as I never used it.

3. Multiple threads on this, have you tried a search?

4. F&J

F&J

I've sprayed that primer many times as a very thinned coat to prevent surface rust. In my opinion, I don't think you need a thicker coat to prevent flash rusting after blasting.

I thin it a lot, so it will run if you try to lay a glossy coat. I don't, I just dust the surface to prevent rust.

It dries way quicker when put on real light. Scuffed with scotchbrite.

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

yes, I have. i haven't found a good answer on mix ratio with hardener?? basically every thread ends up being a pissing contest.

I just want to practice, with the correct thinned and hardened paint!

6. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Rustoleum 50% Thinner 49.5% 0.5 Hardener, Make sure you have a in-line filter and drier. Like F&J said spray thin and make sure your pressure is right. Its a trial and error kind of paint that can be finicky depending on where its sprayed or it will go on like butter. Good Luck.LB

7. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

what have you sprayed over it?? I've read its not a good base coat for anything other than rustoleum?

8. F&J

F&J

It's alkyd enamel primer. That was used decades ago in antique auto restorations by using a sealer over it, then topcoat.

I don't use a sealer, because the super thin coat of enamel primer that I put on, has no mil thickness to speak of. I put it on like colored thinner :) You only need just a bit of primer mixed with the mineral spirits, just to seal freshly blasted metal. It is so watery that it gets into the pores and pits.

Then I put the old laquer primer over it. It never lifts on me, and that is because the enamel coat is so thin. The laquer gets a good hook to the enamel because the laquer melts into the flash coat of enamel. I have used acrylic enamel and synthetic enamel over that, on cars that sit out and get run in salt. Works for me. I can't spray epoxy primer anymore, I get real ill from it, so I do what I can.

9. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

A wealth of information right here..... Not only about the mix ratios and proper usage of materials that are not originally designed to work with each other, but for the last sentence about hardeners making you sick.....

I think your on the right track with your philosophy about lots of practice using less expensive materials and equipment. Also, your smart enough to ralize that mix ratios are important...as apposed to some guys just blaming the material for the runs/dry spray and orange peal.

But.... You also need to make sure your up to snuff on the hardeners and catalyst as these products can and will make you sick...along with anyone else near enough to breath the vapors.

As far as mix ratios go... The question has been answered.... It varies so much on some materials that it's just an experiment till your gain some understanding.

By the way...that HF gun is actually a pretty good piece and a very decent paint job can be had form it, especially for the cost

Good luck

10. badshifter

badshifter

If you thin rustoleum with acetone, you don't need hardener. And, it's almost impossible to run because it flashes very quickly. I mix 1 part paint, to 1/2 part acetone. Works like a champ. Not a week goes by that something around here gets painted that way.

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'm brushing Rustoleum on my chassis.....i want a real 'traditional' look. Brush stroke marks and all. That's how I remember hot rods from back in the day.

Low Beam likes this.
  12. Smokey2

Smokey2

Good Info, You just can't get enough opinions on eny kinda' painting.........Thanks for all the responce, and experiences..........

Loved the "Desert Truck" avitar !!!!!!
    Had '33 Ferd 1 1/2 ton Stake Bed, Drove it to My Sisters Wedding, Much Fun !!!!
    Liked puttin' it in First Gear, and Wakling Beside IT...........Talking to IT, at Car shows.
    Very Funnie ! Good luck to All !
    Surprised me that the $15 Paint Gun, Is Good!!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  13. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Just please use a good respirator. The hardener is the dangerous stuff.

15. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I like the "Hammered" finish, even looks good brushed. Be careful mixing apples and oranges (Rustoleum& Valspar, etc.) snotty messes suck to clean up.

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Yep, I used that stuff on the frame of the last truck I built. It's holding up nicely.

17. 55chevr

55chevr

there was a thread mentioned "Hammercoat" paint. I used silver on the bike frame and it is great. Most people think I powedercoated it

18. David Totten

David Totten

I would be real concerned about copatability of the products. Valspar hardner is for Urathane based paints Rustoleum is an oil based product. May or may not work.

19. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

I used hammercoat on I-6 in the cornbinder and it has held up great. Works pretty good on rims to.LB

20. Killer

Killer

What's wrong with Rustoleum on a hot rod????

21. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

that is incorrect:

Valspar 18-4625 HPT 8 oz Enamel Hardener Paint

$13 online

A unique additive to enhance the gloss and hardness of the tractor and implement enamels or any oil-based enamel. It also reduces dry time. Mix the entire 8 oz. can into 1 gallon of oil-based enamel. Wait 30 minutes for activation and use within the next 8 hours.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=g01YTpWIPKPv0gH7pvSoDA&ved=0CDMQ8wIwAA

22. I also mix it with acetone, and use a good charcoal/hepa respirator. Done deal and you use the acetone to clean up after your done - Or pre-clean the metal with it......Most likely can't do that with the hardener. It dries pretty quick too. Good luck!

23. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

how long are you guys waiting to spray another coat??

24. I also want to add that the mix ratios can vary depending on what color you are shooting. I know the "dark hunter green" is thicker than the "aluminum" color. Just FYI.......I mix to the consistancy of whole milk, not skim.

25. Beano

Beano
    from Pa.

I was thinking the same thing .

26. I've been using black rustoleum on frames and inner fender panels for nearly 30 years.....the stuff holds up great.

27. shocker998md

shocker998md

+ 1 on the acetone. I can spray the rusty metal primer smooth as glass with acetone and it dries quick that way. For some reason I cant get the flat black to spray as smooth but hopefully I can figure that out soon.

dry time between coats for me varies, I touch an out of the way spot to see if it leaves finger prints. Once it is barely leaves a finger print I hit it with another coat. I normally only spray three coats. I very very light dusting, then a second one that is a bit thicker but not quite wet and then the third I lay it wet but dont run it.

Hope you get it figured out, oh yea ive never used the hardener, mainly because ive always been told not to mix company products.

28. I want to stay tuned, for more info. Planning on a Rustolium shoot very soon. The more info the better.

29. gtkane

gtkane

When I shot my three coats of rustoleum, I did them 24 hours apart.
    Pretty much dry between coats. No hardener.

30. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

this dang hurricane is putting a damper on my painting! too humid to want to try my first coat of paint.... luckily next week is supposed to dry out and I will try it then. from what I've seen it looks like I am going to stick to the 8:4:1 ratio that I've seen.

Thanks for everyones tips, and good luck to everyone who is in irene's path. looks like the amount of water/surf is going to be more of an issue than the wind!