Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration "How I Draw Rusty Nuts" or "Hot Rod Poster 101"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Wacom tablets are the only tablet I would use. There are tons of them on eBay.

Jeff, I really like seeing you work, it re-energizes me and that's saying someone who's been scratching out a living in graphic design for 30+ years!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

3. Jerry_Rolls&Pleats

Jerry_Rolls&Pleats
    from Europe

Wow, the artwork for this year's show is stunning, and it's interesting to see how it's done.

4. MalibuKasey

MalibuKasey

Great stuff for sure!!! Im in the world of art for a living as well.... If it wasnt for the fact that I had a Wacom at work and home Id carry it everywhere. Like JJ im an Illustraitor and Photoshop guy....

5. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Jeff,

I know how busy you are. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

You have vision!

Bart

6. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

You are my idol! thanks for sharing this awesome thread with us... I am definitely going to try and use some of your teachings... Great art as always!

7. Deadbird

Deadbird

You rule Jeff! Who thinks the HAMB should do an all artist Tech Week? I think it would be cool to see how the rest of you guys do this stuff too. Grand prize could be one of those big box of crayons with the sharpener on the back. :D

8. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Well yea....

9. kram

kram

Great stuff Jeff! Thanks for taking the time to do the step-by-step.

10. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Awesome to see your work broken down in various stages, Jeff! I love seeing your work in- progress with all of the different layers. I need to sell a shitload of art work to buy the programs and start working in digital. I'm still an old school, draw-it-by-hand guy, but seeing your process in action helps me see how much time I could save going the digi route. Of all the programs I've seen, I like the results of Painter above all.

Killer, dude! Thanks again!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to post this, man!

11. Incredible.....Thanks for sharing!

12. goetzcr

goetzcr

Oh, I'm GETTIN me one a them shirts.

13. dart165

dart165

Jeff, you rule. :D

14. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

WTF? Thanks for the insight. If it was easy I was going into business. Now my geoffknorwell.com site will have to be sold.

15. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

that would be an awesome idea

Todd, I used to be all by hand until I tried photoshop...I couldn't see myself going back, especially if I was doing it for a living. If your doing concept work for someone, digital is a huge time saver. Now I still paint on canvas by hand and will never stop doing that as that is a skill I never want to lose. On a side note, I thought some of your work was digital because it was so clean...you have skills my man.

16. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Jeff you forgot to mention this missing element!! Thanks for sharing the really cool tech, but without the talent it's pretty much useless! :D

17. Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking.....

18. sawzall

sawzall

19. Pretty good for a puck slappin', maple sucker!

:)

I (HEART) Tech articles!

20. So Cool!
    Great meeting you in Moncton!

and as they say up north "Keep your stick on the ice"

21. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Really cool! Thanks for sharing

22. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Awesome work! Isn't this the same way they FAKED Obama's birth certificate- editing different layers???

23. I not only love the artwork, but appreciate the effort to try and explain what you do to smucks like I who fumble with stupid pens and want to 'update'.

I have been tinkering on a intuos 4:), and exploring (I need a good trainer to explain all the features that my ignorant eyes can't see), and interested to see others touch on the topic around sizing and if you you use vector or not.....One of my current 'newby' frustrations is finding a balance between image size, dpi, using various file types smartly, and setting myself up at the begining so that I don't end up with a file that is cumbersome, too big (or small), or unusable when you've finished layering and tweaking....

Note: I am finding a better balance of late, but curious to hear your thoughts a bit more there?

Cheers,

Drewfus

24. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

That's just cool! Nice work Jeff. I always wondered how stuff like this got done.

25. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Todd, I used to be all by hand until I tried photoshop...I couldn't see myself going back, especially if I was doing it for a living. If your doing concept work for someone, digital is a huge time saver. Now I still paint on canvas by hand and will never stop doing that as that is a skill I never want to lose. On a side note, I thought some of your work was digital because it was so clean...you have skills my man.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man! I appreciate that. It takes so much time to get stuff looking clean, that's why I want to explore the digital media. Just a matter of coming up with the dough.

26. cartcoupe36

cartcoupe36
    from Acworth GA

one of the nicest people i have ever dealt with. he puts his heart an soul in to his work! the research an pains he takes to make it right is awesome. thanks for all the help jeff, you have made us proud an honored to know you!

27. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome Jeff! Can't wait to see it in person in October.

28. Some people are welders. Some are painters. Some people have talent as artists. Jeff is one of those. I have some of his equipment and none of the results. Nice thread, Jeff.

29. NateSedan

NateSedan
    from Oregon

Well said.
    I have had an acoustic guitar for years that just sounded like shit.....
    until someone who could play picked up. :D